To fill of not to fill?

FESTER60

Hello everyone. I am still working on my '50 Coronet and I am to the point (almost) of paint. However I am undecided on one thing. To fill or not to fill the cowl vent. My biggest concern over leaving it is leakage. The car is not going to be original as I have removed some of the trim and added frenched '37 Ford tail lights. What have you other guys done in this? Any advice? Thanks.

If you do not air condition your car you will be sorry that you did.  That is the only way I can get the engine heat out of my car even in mild weather.  Do not really need a heater in winter after the first 30 minutes of driving.

This

I really think that the cowl vent is a very important part of the overall looks of these  cars.  I have added air to my cars but in doing so I have spent an ungodly amount of time and effort just keep this vent operational..not so much for its cooling effect...but for the very look it gives when popped up into play..this goes along with the very looks that the divided windshield adds..

• Like 1

remember, all (most) cars still have fresh air vents, some from the cowl some from . . . . Makes one wonder why. Open up that vent and crack open one rear window and you have a very comfortable cabin, winter and summer. My vent stays.

Yep, having a cowl vent makes a big comfort difference on a warm day. Open the rear windows a little, pop up the cowl vent, and fresh air flows in the vent and out the back. I have a 50 Plymouth. The rubber seal is cheap. When closed, my vent does not leak even if left out in the rain all day. And I like it when passengers ask "What's that?"

I want the extra vent. Would put it in the top of my suburban toward the back. that would really work nice to move the air through the rear area. !!!! LOL , yet it really might work quite well. Now need to figure out a way to electrically open and close it.

PP you would be better served with a vent from a Dodge Ramcharger...if you felt a need to actually cut the roof panel...

However the very design of the rear left and latching assembly of the upper gate is such that allows travel with open lid...though today said rear air entrance into the car is frowned upon...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

No! We won't let him. He must do what we say.

I think he just wanted some opinions, to sort through, food for thought. He's thinking it through, with a little help from his friends. Relax, he'll do what he wants to do. :)

ken.

• Like 2

I read it as he wanted confirmation that they can be leak free and if we came back and said they all leak then he was going to fill it.

Not suggesting  that you fill the vent But if you choose to- It's not easy to keep the cowl panel in shape during welding and will require much care and some body work (a lot?) to get it right.

Done this once!

Came out ok in the end,  but if not required I'd choose not to do again.

DJ

Young Ed, on 15 Jul 2014 - 5:15 PM, said:

I read it as he wanted confirmation that they can be leak free and if we came back and said they all leak then he was going to fill it.

Ed..while that is true, there is not a one of us here that can extend to him that guarantee when we have no control whatsoever over the repairs being done to the vent...only he with his expertise, or that of the shop he should hire can make any warranties to that effect...I have no concerns about mine leaking, but I cannot say he will have the same experience..

As Plymouthy says- If the whole vent mechanism including all the recessed area of the body and the vent lid is in perfect shape with a new gasket and drain is open it Should seal well.

Some cars have had big rust damage in the seal-recessed area and will leak. Need to check all if your going to leave it.

In the end-your choice!  As said before.

DJ

The vent is for air flow. The problem with the partially open upper rear gate is that it draws fumes and dust into the car. A vent in the roof would draw air out in the same manner that some sunroof designs do. I am beginning to like the vent in the top, it could be hidden somewhat but would certainly work.

Lots of good ideas when working with rebuilding vehicles,lots of creativity which I enjoy. I also love John Deere tractors but while original patina is acceptable, red and blue is not.

The vent has a drain in the channel where the gasket is,t o drain water that gets past the gasket, as when the vent is not sealed tightly.  This can drip down through the little inner door if it is open.  If the vent is open, a lot of water can get through this direct vent. 

To control incidental water draining from the channel, I ran some tubing from the drain to the bottom of the air distribution box.  

The air distribution box has a drain at its bottom that runs through the cowl, with a short drain hose in the engine compartment.  

So make sure this drain system is clear. 

I agree with Don, that you should do whatever floats your boat..........buuuuut, it is pretty pricless when you get some kids riding with you and you ker-plang open the vent for some vintage style a-c! I took a load of my friends about my age (18) or a little older for a cruise, and all of them really dug the "interior cold air induction vent", as I introduced it to them. But again, it is your car.

• Like 1