Three speed transmission top speed

Drifter99

After reading all the imfo on trans swap rear end swap and fellow members experiences on comfort with the three speed I m back ti square one. I was going the T 5 route and I missed the trans by about 2 hours after he was suppose to hold it for me ,money talks! I have a 218 with the three speed and a 3.9 rear in my 48 truck so it seems the rears been change. Does anybody have this combo and if so do you enjoy it or just live with it. I building a daily driver and would like some highway capably . Thanks in advance. Robin

After reading all the imfo on trans swap rear end swap and fellow members experiences on comfort with the three speed I m back ti square one. I was going the T 5 route and I missed the trans by about 2 hours after he was suppose to hold it for me ,money talks! I have a 218 with the three speed and a 3.9 rear in my 48 truck so it seems the rears been change. Does anybody have this combo and if so do you enjoy it or just live with it. I building a daily driver and would like some highway capably . Thanks in advance. Robin

I have that same combo in my 46 WC with some fairly tall 16s. I limit my speed based on comfort and stability feeling of the truck at speed rather than what the engine can do. In other words above about 60MPH it starts to feel a little squirely.

• Like 1

I have a 218 with a 3:73 and 235 75 R15's. I comfortably drive with the truckers on the interstate and can speed up to pass with little difficulty. Would put a 3:53 in next time. My truck tracks like a train.

My 3:73 is out of a Jeep Wrangler '97. For daily driving it's just fine, I just would like to have one more gear on the interstate. I get 14 mph at 60+ so not too bad. Good kingpins, radial tires and disc brakes are absolutely essential to my way of living.

With the 3.9, tires of near to stock diameter, and the 1 to 1 of high gear, you should be turning between 2900, and 3100 RPM at 60 MPH.  Peak HP rpm is 3600, so that should be a pretty comfortable range for your engine.  I have run thousands of miles at 65 indicated with my 4.11 to 1 rear and 225, 75, 15 tires.  That gives me 3180 RPM calculated. 

... I was going the T 5 route and I missed the trans by about 2 hours after he was suppose to hold it for me ,money talks! . Robin

Have you looked at Robert Horne's 5-speed swap? If not, start reading.

...and you will probably be the only guy in line for the purchase...

Thanks for the input I am putting Charlies dis up front and king pins are tight. Robert Horns swap post seem to end before it was completed . I am hoping the 3.90 rear makes it comfortable if not then it's swap time..thanks again Robin

Have you looked at Robert Horne's 5-speed swap? If not, start reading.

...and you will probably be the only guy in line for the purchase...

this is not to single out any one person but merely quoting this as an example..I really do not think Mr Horne is marketing any said transmission swap kit and was only reporting on a HOW DID not a HOW TO...his venture was one of what was on hand and how he made it work...it was in no manner implied this is the route everyone should take but one that is workable.  It has is pros and cons like any other modification to these cars.  I give him a big thumbs up for doing a modification WITHOUT the need to run to a forum board for every screw or step in the process...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I should have worded my response better, as in, used MORE words...sorry.

The OP indicated his disappointment at getting beat out of a t5 purchase (since they seem to gods gift to the od crowd at the moment...) 

Referring to Mr Horne's swap, I was inferring that he would likely being the only guy in line to buy such a transmission as the ToyoKoygo at the pik-n-pull.  Awhile back I check some yards in the Portland market and found there was little demand for the Toyo unit.

not a prob...glad we aired it out....I only wanted Robert to get a bit of notice for taking the path less traveled so to speak and making a very workable setup from items he had on hand to work with...while there may not be a line at the pick and pull for this tranny...it has proven to be a workable unit..we need more folks like Robert willing to share their experience.

• Like 1

Tim, you are spot-on.  Robert did indeed take the path less traveled and did a fine job on the install. I have referred many folks to his thread as an option to the somewhat expensive t5 deal as well as an option to my own products. I think the toyo is an excellent trans for these old inliners.

Unfortunately it seems the S10 has become the "go to" vehicle for a lot of frame and trans swaps for almost everybody, neglecting the potential of other makes and models. Creative builders always look at and talk about the unique builds done well because they are different. Someone saw a different solution. Maybe even saved some money at the yard by looking at the less sought after parts.

I visit a forum based in OZ that has some real creative combinations in cars and trucks. They're using what they have available to them for their projects. Hats off to Mr Horne for giving us another viable option for an OD. It should be a lesson to us all that we don't have to be locked into only one solution.