Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

I moved the suburban back to the former garage slab. But have decided to change course. I learned a lot on the car and I worked quite hard on it yet I am going to disassemble whatever is usable and then scrap the car.  Then I will focus on getting my new shop set up and will work to get my  truck fixed. So thank you for you interest and support. It has been a very interesting six months.

So if anyone is working on a 53 / 54 suburban, I have parts. pm me after a few days. 

Paul that is crazy why not just sell it if you are done with it.

I moved the suburban back to the former garage slab. But have decided to change course. I learned a lot on the car and I worked quite hard on it yet I am going to disassemble whatever is usable and then scrap the car.  Then I will focus on getting my new shop set up and will work to get my  truck fixed. So thank you for you interest and support. It has been a very interesting six months.

So if anyone is working on a 53 / 54 suburban, I have parts. pm me after a few days.

I hate to hear that Paul. I have been following your suburban build since I joined. Young Ed has a great idea in selling it whole. But if you are going to part it out, I might see what if any parts crossover to a 55. Good luck in either case to you, your family, and your truck. :)

Response to ED: I hate to be wishy/washy but per Ed's response and a forum member's phone call, I will not scrap the car, so all will remain as is for the time being. 

• Like 2

The seller hauled this to Tim's for me to look at. I have since bought it. It is not as good as it looks but It is a complete car and has ALL the items I need to complete my suburban: i.e., engine, tyranny, clutch and brake pedals and mount, rear tail gate, bumpers, etc.  I have a very experienced body welder friend who will weld up the floor and body panels so that is also covered. So we're back on track.  

Side note: I may put an axle with electric brakes in this shell after all the parts are off, then put a hitch on the front and turn it into a fishing 'camper'. Be kinda cool. Would put a Tear drop style kitchen in the back, put a water tank below and . . .  My grand kids would love it.  

240260c2-28c0-43c3-a353-dd43255f8e06_zps

Edited by pflaming

There is always something to clean up! Built some temp 'cabinets' to store fire damaged parts today, built them away from the new building then will clean them before they come inside.  So clean up and storage is not a quick fix.

This evening I was tinkering with the hood ornaments. Both were black as the ace of spades, cleaning with a Brillo pad did not do much so I carefully took an exact o knife to the crust and the one cleaned up quite well. With some 0000 steel wool and a tin foil rub they will be quite acceptable.

Still waiting for a doctor's eval on my knees. Three hours on my feet and I'm down for the rest of that day. That has got to change.

As many of you know, insurance does NOT cover any parts for any vehicle: car, boat, airplane, motor cycle, etc. 

Suburbanhoodornaments5354001_zps2b0c39db

You can see on the bottom of the 'ship' where I did not use the exact 0 blade. I also did NOT try to remove the black between the "sails".  I will clean those groves but will paint them a gloss black. I like to make the sails show, then it looks like a ship which is what it is supposed to do.

Suburbanhoodornament54_zps006fac87.jpg

Suburbanhoodornaments5354002_zps50f897e2

I agree with Bob in the following post, I too prefer the 53 ornament. It will fit on a 54 hood but one has to drill new holes and fill the others.   I saw a 53 grill chromed to the park lights and I really liked that. Don't know just what I will do with the 54 grille, that center island just does not flow quite right in my eye.  Will take a closer look at the '53 when I pick it up. It's still the girl at TIm's Man's Lot!  

Edited by pflaming

They are cleaning up OK. I personally have always preferred the '53 hood ornament to the '54. In fact, always preferred the entire '53 front end to the '54. Probably my preference as I own a '53. Maybe keep an eye open at swapmeets or ebay for a decent used one. What's the hood ornament like on the '53 Suburban you just bought? It looks OK in the picture but is not close enough to see if there is any major pitting.

Rock2.jpg

In the post ". . . ways to lower. . ." a statement is made, ". . . easier to balance the dual pipes. . . "  

Question: How important is it that dual pipes are identical: in length, size, muffler type, etc.  It makes sense that if they were significantly different that difference could impact the exhaust flow and thus the 'balance' of the engine.

Well, it's time for a new chapter. Will put up a tarp shade tomorrow, push the suburban into place and changes will begin. I'm more than ready to get back to what is fun. I've got a certified welder who will bring his welder and he will get it all back together. 

(to be continued)

54andRoses_zps5100ccdc.jpg

Things will start changing in a day or two. 

54andRoses2_zpsf6800f96.jpg

Update: I received my new Plymouth Service Manual. It is a reprint! Try to get an earlier print, the reprint is word perfect but on much poorer paper and not as good a binding. I'm going to break mine apart and put on a plastic spiral. That way it always lies flat when open. @ $24.00 easily the most valuable tangible tool on my used Husky nine drawer tool chest with casters for $85.00. Will miss the notes I had in the other manual.

this is a funny thread, as I now exactly where this car came from. I believe a guy in clovis California had this car. I went and seen this car a year or two ago, and the guy told me a story about the car being in a shootout?.... LOL. maybe he told you the same story. he had a REALLY nice hemi motor that he was going to throw in the car. I could be wrong... but this car looks really familiar.

Laker, or it may have been this one. It came from Clovis. He had another one which he sold to someone in Madera. I paid 300 for this, just for the bumpers, and got carried away.  It has been a very good learning experience, not that I would do it again but. . . whatever. 

53Suburban001_zps4cf01111.jpg

that's a good deal !! I love the old Plymouth wagons... they are super cool. I had a 56 "suburban" or wagon that I NEVER should of gotten rid of.. but I was trying to buy a house and needed a few more thousand bucks and needed to part with that and a 4 door 1956 savoy I had. I believe I talked with you before over the phone.. I am looking for a wagon if you know of one selling. have fun!

Well, it appears I'm back on track. I put up some protection from the sun, pushed the '54 into place and put my new DA Sander to use. Goal will be to get the first level of sanding complete by end of next week. I have an experienced welder coming to do that task. Also had my knees lubricated yesterday and I am now getting my legs back. 

So lost eight weeks but down but not out! 

4b522f7cf81d4671a9f725c012143678_zps44f0

dd6bc931-0e56-491f-910a-34da9d0bf0ec_zps

We hauled the blue 53 suburban home yesterday. After a more thorough look, it will have all the significant mechanical parts I need to finish the 54 Belvedere after that what will be left won't be of much use. I have a friend who has a herb farm and likes to put unique car bodies in the beds as yard art. I will give the body to him, be a nice back 40 storage and yard art.

I will have a .bunch of 53 plymouth parts, and some scarce/rare suburban parts such as: the suburban rear seats and all the hardware, the top tail gate, a hood, two doors, front split 60/40 seat used also by the hard top and the convertibles, etc. Will post as I should in parts.

The inside was sort of like 'Storage Wars'

53NapaSuburban006_zpsd563bcb5.jpg

Two good 15" rims with clips, new front floor panels, Suburban side storage bins, etc. 

53NapaSuburban009_zpsf40ff74e.jpg

The license plate holder is hinged so that it can swing out of the way and not hit the bumper, cool. 

53NapaSuburban002_zps3a3b8582.jpg

Nice set of chrome rims and caps (missing one cap).

Now I really need the new garage which will come 2nd week of May. 

To be continued

Things are beginning to 'begin the begeen'. You may seldom see two 53/54 old suburbans side by side, but I have two. The rear tail gate and its unique license plate mount which swings out when the gate is lowered, the rear bumper and the two tail lights are worth more than what I paid for the entire vehicle.  Will now start removing parts I need to finish the '54. I found the 4th moon cap for the set of four chrome wheels so that was a nice surprise.

Back a post or two I showed four rims and tires. I moved them to storage today and discovered two of them are 16" with full clips. Nice surprise there also. The other two are 15" and also have all the clips. 

City called this morning and the plans have been approved. So that is coming along. 

Suburbanstailgatemirror001_zps475aaed8.j

Tail gate and bumper. 

Suburbanstailgatemirror003_zps65ff4388.j

Paul, if you don't need or want the Plymouth name tag on the back of the '53, I would be interested in buying it from you as it looks the same as the one on my '53 Belvedere. It looks unbroken and hopefully would be a candidate for a rechrome. It would be nice to have a spare. I will PM you as well.

This picture is in an above post, but it is a mystery to me. The license plate mount which is hinged and has a snap and release gusset/brace to hold it open is not a usual mount on the 53 suburbans. I have not been able to find one example. So I'm wondering if this is an early '53 vehicle and this mount is a carry over from . . . The bottom raised cross piece is '53 / '54.  A '53 plate was on it, since removed, yet the bumper has a place for a license plate as well. 

It has entered my mind to mount it on the back of my truck, put a phoenix plate in between the lights and hook the lights up to the brake switch. . . .

Input is requested. 

Suburbanstailgatemirror003_zps65ff4388.j

That mount is not a factory license mount. The plate belongs on the bumper.

• Like 1