Show Your Dash Board Mods

hotrodbob

Don, I got a pair of those as a retirement gift, but the wife won't let me put them up when we go to cruise nights (afraid kids will see them). So, I hang a small pair of baby saddle shoes that my grandson wore as a baby. Around here, steering wheel spinners and anything hanging from the mirror is illegal (obstructed vision). Although a lot of people do it.

Who's the Boss......LOL I know Lakota Happy Wife=Happy Life 

I see a lot of illegal equipped cars at cruise ins and on the road and especially a lot of motorcycles that are excellent resources as revenue generators to any officer who leaves the donut shop..around here they target the punk kids it seems...lot of them getting railroaded early in life for less serious violations..most are pulled for these minor infractions as a foot in the door to search the cars etc

my only dash mods were to make the throttle cable and choke cable into turn signal indicators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psE2ndm7CH8

I pulled the cables out of the bezel and took them to Radio Shack to find some LED's that fit almost perfectly into the bezel. Had to sand the side of the LED slightly to get a good force fit into the bezel. Screwed the bezel back onto the dash and then wired it into the circuit.

Now I know when I have been driving down the road for miles like an old man with my blinkers on. :cool:

Edited by hkestes41
  • Like 2

What I'm trying to see is placement of gauges. I want to change the gauges as my stock Gas and temp need replacement. Rebuild costs are about as high as a full set of new gauges. This is one I'm looking at. Anyone tried this?

4648Plymouth_OTB_500.jpg

I see a lot of illegal equipped cars at cruise ins and on the road and especially a lot of motorcycles that are excellent resources as revenue generators to any officer who leaves the donut shop..around here they target the punk kids it seems...lot of them getting railroaded early in life for less serious violations..most are pulled for these minor infractions as a foot in the door to search the cars etc

Seems like it's automatic in this area for every car that's stopped with driver and passengers younger than 30 requires 3 Sheriff's cars and a drug sniffing dog. The driver and passengers can always be seen sitting in the tall grass in front of the car being guarded by one deputy,while 2 to 4 more deputies are tearing their car apart looking for drugs or any other reason to confiscate it. This is especially true if it is a really nice new or almost new car.

After all,the detectives have to have nice cars to drive.

I will never understand why these young people give them permission to search their cars.

Intimidation

It has been drilled into their heads at the indoctrination centers that the state knows all and has your best interest at heart... I blame all the "ding dong daddies and moron mommies" that want to have kids yet take no responsibility in their proper upbringing, leaving it to the commies in the school system and on television.

Now, around my place, only sportbikes, tuner cars, and thug infested suvs get messed with... really lax motorcycle laws, my apehanger equipped no muffler and no functional turn signals bar hopper is actually street legal.

Dash board mods? i'm not that far into it yet, but it will have round gauges replacing the stock rectangles that don't match the round speedometer worth a hoot.

• Like 1

Ok, been there done that and still do that.Had ape hanger bars on my bike in the 70's, got pulled over in the 60's-70's-80's and even into the 90's (with my coupe) for my hotrodded cars. You can let them search it now or they can tow it to impound. I'll take my chances on the spot. That said.. Young D*ck head CHP was to young to know that in 1948 only 1 brake light required, no directionals required and wipers were not electric. Had him so pissed off I made him call his supervisor. He was my age and laughed at the young buck. I drove away.

Now, please back on topic...

Anyone can restore a classic car, but it takes a real hotrodder to cut one up and make it cool!

Gotta say, I agree whole heartedly...

Stumbled across an underdash mount 45rpm record player...may just have to figure out how to install it... not exactly what I'd call cool, but definitely an interesting add on. Doubt it works anymore at any rate.

• Like 1

...You can let them search it now or they can tow it to impound. I'll take my chances on the spot. ..

FWIW, They can NOT tow your car off to search it unless they can show probable cause and obtain a search warrant. If they do,that would be a illegal seizure and you could sue their asses off.

And you can bet your bippy that any cop that wants to search my car had better be prepared to get a warrant. Period. If you want to maintain your rights,you have to make sure you exercise them.

BTW,I always prefered drap bars on 4 inch dogbone risers on my knuckle with the 3/4 rake and 15 over 47 springer,although I did run short Z-bars for a while.

Anyone can restore a classic car, but it takes a real hotrodder to cut one up and make it cool!

Stumbled across an underdash mount 45rpm record player...may just have to figure out how to install it... not exactly what I'd call cool, but definitely an interesting add on. Doubt it works anymore at any rate.<<

They can't be that hard to fix. Probably harder today to find a record to play on one.

IIRC,Mopars were the only brand they were a semi-popular option on. Seems like they were pushed on the 57 to 60 Plymouths.

They can't be that hard to fix. Probably harder today to find a record to play on one.

IIRC,Mopars were the only brand they were a semi-popular option on. Seems like they were pushed on the 57 to 60 Plymouths.

The mopar ones were not 45RPM. They were a unique speed something like 18rpm. Finding a 45 isn't that hard. I probably have 150 of them.

Stumbled across an underdash mount 45rpm record player...may just have to figure out how to install it... not exactly what I'd call cool, but definitely an interesting add on. Doubt it works anymore at any rate.

I had a 45 rpm changer in my '59 Pontiac. Played a stack of (I think) 12 records automatically. You loaded the records from the bottom and pushed the up onto the spindle. Arm swung under and up to play the under side of the record. When done, arm would swing back and record would drop down to a catch ledge. Never skipped going over bumps. Had it hooked up with a "Reverb" speaker system. One thing I learned real quick. Don't leave the records laying on the dash. Sun or car heater would warp them.

1959Pontiac2.jpg

• Like 2

my only dash mods were to make the throttle cable and choke cable into turn signal indicators

Now I know when I have been driving down the road for miles like an old man with my blinkers on. :cool:

Blinkers? Turn signals?

What is this sorcery of which you speak!?

I promised some pics.  However, my converted gauges have not arrived yet and the gentleman who has the Dakota Digital

gauge retro fits in the Stude, did not show this weekend.  So,....in the meantime, here's a shot of my tach install.  I used an

old "vent cable" ferrel with the DD section to fit in the stock wiper switch hole and drilled it out to accept the tach wires.

IMG_2478_zps91595478.jpg

• Like 2