Ignition Skips A Beat

DonaldSmith

friend of your picking up the tab for the initial cost....lol...where you getting this and how long will it take to get here...this is what you got to consider that if and when it fails you will have to wait to get the replacement device...also Pertronix is more of a system than an individual igniter...and most folks that report trouble did not go with the recommended components from Petronix to round out the system..this in not saying you will or will not have problems..just a consideration if entertaining the upgrade...

• 4 years later...

Update from 3013:  After Pertronix ignition and professionally rebuilt carburetor, no noticeable skips.  Running well.   

Some people swear by the standard, stock ignition; others swear at it.  Then, some people's Pertronix suddenly goes kaput.  

Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Update from 2013:  After Pertronix ignition and professionally rebuilt carburetor, no noticeable skips.  Running well.   

@DonaldSmith: thanks for the update. Much appreciated. 

Which Pertronix components did you install?

I installed the Pertronix 2563LSP6 ignitor, and the 40011 Flame Thrower coil, both from Amazon.

Because the semi-automatic "Tip-toe" transmission briefly shorts the ignition circuit to accomplish the upshift,  Pertronix suggested that I put a 7-ohm, 5-watt resister in a new circuit from the negative post of the coil to the PRI post of the transmission relay.  The 7-ohm was more important than the 5-watt.  From Mouser Electronics I bought a resistor, 71-RH10-7.0, RH107R000FC02, for about three bucks, plus shipping.  

The Pertronix is wired differently from the usual breaker-type distributor, per the Pertronix instructions.  For a 6-volt positive system, power through the ignition switch goes to the ignitor in the distributor (black wire).  The black-grey wire from the ignitor goes to the (-) post of the coil.  The (+) post of the coil connects directly to ground.   And then the resistor connects from the (-) post of the coil to the PRI post of the transmission relay. 

Somewhere I have a posting showing the details of the installation. 

• Like 2

I have known several folks who have issues with Pertronix units in several different brands of cars.  Sudden total failure of spark to plugs, all ending in a roll back ride.  I would suggest you source a spare distributor, set it up with new tune up parts and carry it with you.  Should the Pertronix take an unexpected break, a simple distributor swap gets you on your way in minutes.  

I have the spare distributor parts, and wiring diagram, in a box.  Maybe I should get an entire distributor, so that I'm not doing an intricate transplant at the side of the road.

Maybe I'll put a Pertronix in the spare distributor;  what are the chances of two of them going bad?  As the adolescent said, what could possibly go wrong?

Food for thought; grist for the pessimistic. 

Did you ever check the breaker plate to see if there is slop in the unit. a worn breaker plate will also cause some of the same issues.  A breaker plate NOS with the points and condensor should run around 25-35 dollars.

If the wires are showing blue streaks when the engine is running then you also have somthing wrong with the wires there should not be any arching or blue streaks coming from the spark plug wires

This is alot cheaper than a new dizzy and an electronic ignition.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you would not want to bet on that fact would you?  Positive gnd is out of the equation....

you saying you can have a 6v neg ground slant six dist?

Did anyone ask him what type of spark plugs wires he has? Did I miss this in a earlier post?

Has been stated many times on this forum that None of the electronic ign. systems will last at at all with wire stand type- spark plug wires- resistor type wires must be used.

That one thing could have caused all his ignition problems encountered with the pertronix.  With a change back to points type ignition setup the wire type plug wires will work just fine as will resistor wires.

DJ

1 minute ago, Frank Elder said:

the 12V coil is rendered to or is actually a 6V coil in a 12 V system.....?

yes..a 12 volt external resistor coil ignition system is but a carry over of the 6 volt coil..but that was not of which I spoke......you do not even need to worry about polarity with the coil, basically the only real thing you will see is pitting the opposite contact of the breaker points when reversed.....yes there are some operational differences but the average person at the speed they run their low compression flathead will never see this....but that is another argument for yet another date in time...lol  tomatoes tomotoes...we all get them on our sandwich...