Steering Wheel

is there a way to keep the steering wheel from making your hands black? in the old days i dont remember

this being a problem. maybe my hands were usually already dirty from work and  i just did not notice lol. i have cleaned the steering wheel with several cleaners and the black still comes off. any cures for this?

Yes the others are right. The black is actually your steering wheel coming apart. I had this issue with my plymouth. A cover or repaint is the only way to fix it.

buy the refurb/rebuild kit form POR15 and fix any flaws and repaint it.

How well does the POR15 kit work? I guess it is painted on and fills the cracks. my wheel is quite badly cracked so I assumed it was scrap but I might think again if there is a repair kit.

the repair kit has the fillers and instructions to fill the cracks and the proper primer for black paint to stick.  Somewhere I posted my wheel resto.  VERY happy with the results except where someone leaned on the wheel (not me!) and now a hairline fracture in the paint is visible.

My truck's steering wheel is far past the crack fill and repaint stage, it has bare metal showing through. 18" steering wheel cover from the local truck stop and it's back in business. Had an RV spec lace on cover, decided it was ugly, so went the tractor trailer route. If it's good enough for a Pete or a Freightshaker, it's good enough for "Grandpa's Old Truck".

I think the cover was on sale for $12 or so.

I had a few areas where the metal ring was visible in the cracks. A couple of applications of JB weld ....some sanding and a few coats of Krylon patio furniture paint and you would never know, Cost was under $20. I will probably finish up by putting a leather cover on it as I like a bit more texture than what is on a wheel like this in the first place.

Jeff

I was just thumbing trough a stack of books my friend gave me when he moved to the west coast...in that stack of books is a rather thick manual on the DIY steering wheel repair for fun and profit...I glanced it over and considered it a worth while book to get into a bit deeper later...if you want to know the publisher and name and try to find a copy on e-bay/Amazon...let me know via PM