Time for paint........YIPPEE!

Hank;

I am having trouble picturing brown bumpers etc. The nice thing about any of the trim items though is the color is fairly easily changed. If for some reason I get tired of the satin black it would be easy enough to do a revision.

I will just have to wait and see how it all looks together. One thing is for certain.....it doesn't get any easier than satin black. :lol:

I did spend a lot of time looking at photos of different paint jobs on this year truck. I really felt that when they painted the grill whiskers the same color as the body it just seemed to get lost a bit. And not so much with the stainless versions ...but then mine clearly never had that trim.

So I opted for a bit bolder look. I think it works......but I still need to see the rest of it to be certain.

For what it is worth this is my reasoning. And if it turns out to look a little badass....then that is ok too. ;)

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frank;

Well I got the bed parts and rear fenders back this week. The doors, etc... are at the painters now. He is picking up the cab on Monday so it shouldn't be long now. Unfortunately my shop is really crowded right now and resulting logistics issues forced me to stow all the body parts away without photos. I am really happy with how it looked though. Very clean but still shows it's age. Probably not a look that would suit everyone......but it works for me.

Jeff

Frank;

Thanks for posting these photos. That is a good looking truck ...... but not the look I am after for my more utilitarian needs.

I am maintaining the stock ride height & wheels and have a period rear step bumper that was on the truck when I got it. The truck in the photos would not even be able to get in and out of my shop complex without doing serious damage to that low nose section. I am definitely after a setup that is easy to use and maintain as a work truck and daily driver.

Jeff

Frank;

Thanks for posting these photos. That is a good looking truck ...... but not the look I am after for my more utilitarian needs.

I am maintaining the stock ride height & wheels and have a period rear step bumper that was on the truck when I got it. The truck in the photos would not even be able to get in and out of my shop complex without doing serious damage to that low nose section. I am definitely after a setup that is easy to use and maintain as a work truck and daily driver.

Jeff

Flat black looks good for the first 15 minutes.........but it doesn't clean worth a d####, and it chalks up quicker than your buckskin color will. Quite honestly I would have gone with a a nice gloss off white color it will age better and look better in the long run. But I ain't paying the bills!

Frank;

Yes I agree about flat finishes. I ended up using a industrial grade satin black enamel. I doesn't have that powder look and feel like the flat finishes. It is pretty hard stuff too. If you polish it too much it actually goes glossy. I will have to wait and see how well it holds up. For now it has the look of old original paint that has aged a bit and that is what I was trying to achieve. And of course I haven't seen the whole truck assembled yet........ :)...... that could easily change my view of this.

The nice thing about all these pieces is it is pretty easy to remove and refinish them any way you choose. If I get tired of the look of the grill let's say.......it will be a fairly easy job now to change colors.

Jeff

Look up "Ratwax.net" a non-wax wax for satin/dull finishes. It might be what you need for your paint. I bought the soap and wax for my truck, but it didn't do anything for old paint.

A very good friend asked me what color I was going to paint my truck, when he heard I was leaving it as is, he exclaimed WHAT? I suggested to him that when I put my truck in line with a number of other trucks which have nice expensive paint finishes, the people will come and talk to me first. "Yes," he said, "and they will all ask, 'why didn't you paint that goddamed truck?'".

I get compliments every time I drive it. You will too. Looking forward to the final pictures. It's been enjoyable watching, your project and others as well. I do like the paint around the front fenders.

Hi Paul;

Thank you. I enjoy watching progress on everyones' trucks too. Probably the best part of doing this project has been getting to know folks on this forum. Really a first rate group of people.

I know we all have different views of what we want are trucks to look like. The suggestions here have been really helpful. And that has been my experience throughout this project. A little while back someone suggested red wheels. At first I didn't really think about it. But after thinking about it some..... that could look even better than what I had planned. Maybe an orange-red? I think this sort of color would work for the letters on the tailgate too

Jeff

My Vanilla Shake car has burgundy wheels on it with chrome trim rings.  Might be a good color choice for grille bars and trim, lettering if you tire of the black.

Dave;

:) You know that is another color range that could look very nice. I have a truckmaster heater that I got from Mark that is a black cherry color. I am going to have to see what it looks like in the cab along with the caramel colored upholstery before I make any decisions here. Don't want to go nuts on the color scheme .....but Argent would not show up too well on the tailgate letters.

Thanks, Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well........finally.....the cab is at the painter's. It will be painted this weekend and should return before the end of next week. Yippee squared!

I am very happy with my color selection. I know it is not one of the standard colors......but to my eye it should have been. It is going to work out really well.

I cant wait to start putting it back together. I do plan on taking my time though as I think that a very careful and well thought out reassembly will make for a much better truck in the long run. One of the things I am going to pay very close attention to is sound deadening. I have started the process by applying a brush on bedliner product to the inside of the fenders etc... Just doing a tapping test it seems to really effect the amount of sound that these pieces can transmit. When the cab comes back I will go over the underside of it with multiple coats of this same product before setting it back in place. I don't know if anyone has used something like this on the underside of the cab roof and back wall but it might make a great start on really bringing the sound levels down. My thought is to combine this with a sheet type insulation product perhaps even some foam behind upholstered panels.

Jeff

I'm planning on using Lizardskin on the undersides of  'glass fenders for some protection against "starring" from rocks thrown against them  and on the interior for sound deadening.and insulation plus a couple pieces of the sheet  matting inside the door panels.  I'm not sure I'd use foam.  It'll trap and hold moisture.

Noise control. I found that any holes must be covered from the outside. If the air comes through a hole it becomes a whistle even if there is sound deadening on the inside. (2) Door seals make a huge difference. For the trek to the BBQ I did not have time to deaden the noice from the doors, so I just stuffed old pillows and blankets in the doors and put the hatch on. Works very well. Now my only noise is the engine and with an electic fan that will quiet down also.

Looking forward to seeing your truck reassembled.

I kinda like cream and chocolate brown...post-4117-0-18551200-1365808174_thumb.jpg

The cream you picked looks an awful lot like Sahara Beige/Sandstone... a.k.a. Cub Cadet Beige, which I'm using as the 2 tone offset on mine. Which will also keep most of its battle scars, just the rust and any tears repaired, maybe the grill bars banged out smoother. Cream and dark blue for mine.

I'm planning on using Lizardskin on the undersides of 'glass fenders for some protection against "starring" from rocks thrown against them and on the interior for sound deadening.and insulation plus a couple pieces of the sheet matting inside the door panels. I'm not sure I'd use foam. It'll trap and hold moisture.

how thick are your fenders? i've had 'glas fenders on my cj for over 17 years. i've used it pretty hard, and the swampers throw some pretty good sized stones on gravel roads. no cracks or stars in either fender. the body has a single small surface crack where the jeep slammed down on a pointed rock at the "rocker", but otherwise, it too, is in really good shape after years of abuse. i had my doubts, but the 'glas has been very durable and resilient. there would absolutely be dents in the jeep if i still had the steel body/fenders.

wally

They're 1/8 to 3/16, near as I can tell and they don't appear to be hand laid.  Very rough on the inside.  Can't tell you who made them either but htey're on an OT car.  I've heard of star cracks in 'glass fenders and seen some photos of them.  They may never develop stars in them but with the time and expense going into this particular project, it's just  a bit of added insurance.  While the primary intentions for using it is for sound and heat insulation, I also want to check out it's impact absorbsion qualities.  While it's not a full on show car, it's not exactly a daily driver type either.   There's more to the car's story but I'm not allowed to disclose it at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Well......finally the cab is done and back from the painters. I couldn't be any happier. :D  :D  :D  I am certain it isn't to everyone's taste.......but it is clean and and looks good to me. Just need to put a few coats of undercoat on it and then it can go on to the frame.

One thing I really notice as I look it over is how bright it is under the dash now. It was so dark and dingy there before. Putting things back together is going to be much easier on the old eyes with this light background.

Hope some of you like it.

Jeff

post-4710-0-98243400-1366935153_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-45371700-1366935181_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-03861200-1366935206_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-92787100-1366935225_thumb.jpg

That is going to be a looker. The advantage of vehicles is the variety and the individuality. We anxious to see it all together. I'm learning that the fun begins when you start driving it.