questions for the modified crowd

scotty t

since the original post i have started using Pandora radio. i think the mp3 type set up(amp and speakers with associated wiring) is the way to go. HEY! this thread isn't just about stereos!it was meant to be about all modifications! one thing i haven't decided on is the gauge panel, the stock one is prefered but my trans  has an electrical output instead of a cable. i have a "cableX" box but it is archaic.  someone sells a panel that uses modern gauges but i'm open for suggestions. i've decided to use POSIES springs so i don't need to modify the mounts.i think i have everything for the manual cav r/p, disc brake, relocated shock, cherokee sway bar mods. my buddy/fabricator is going to make pedal/master cylinder mounts. i have a rear sway bar, 9" furd axle, 354 HEMI, 5spd, etc.

Redline Gauge Works in Santa Clarita Calif. is doing the conversion for my gauges. We're keeping the original appearance.  http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/default.asp    I'm only doing the conversion for the amp, oil, gas and temp gauges.  They are very customer oriented and generous with their opinions.  Ask for Shannon.  I would call them first if I had the combo you are wanting to put together.  

I like the Hemi.  What 5 spd?

Edited by mrwrstory

I'd suggest  you contact Redline Gauge Works http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/default.asp  They are doing the amp. temp, oil and temp gauges for me.  We're keeping the stock appearance.  Ask for Shannon.

I like the Hemi!  What 5 spd?

Don't know if it's me, or the Apple, or the browser, or the IPS, or the new format.  And, I may not live long enough understand all that s**t.  So I keyed in  www.redlinegaugeworks.com  

Lots of cars, trucks have vacuum reservoirs, most of them have check valves to allow them to store vacuum when the engine is off.  Go to a pick and pull and get one, mount it in a suitable place, plumb it to the intake manifold and you should be good to go.  Unless you live in the Rockies.

Edited by greg g

When I got my car the gauges had been removed and aftermarket vintage style Autometers were installed but they buthchered the opening, so I bought another on Flea-Bay and re-did it over again.  Please ignore the crusty chrome but its all I could afford!  I will preface this by saying this does require removing some steel from the dash but all behind the trim.  I also removed the screws that hold the trim on and replaced it with studs.  So it all slid in and nutted from behind, nice and easy.  I also still have my stock gauges and I'm going to offer them up for sale here soon.  They are missing one gauge(fuel I think).

Any way nice thread you all got going here!

post-5612-0-95756800-1373470548_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-97644600-1373470560_thumb.jpg

sounds like you got in planned in your favor as it would surely look tacky in the coupe...(No radio in the power giant by the way)

Naw, I'm going with an underdash if I bother adding a vintage unit, have 2 horizontal mount types, AM only dual voltage capable, and an AM/FM/SW dual voltage capable... don't much care for either one except as decoration.

Anyone have an old radio for sale cheap?

Might could be persuaded... can't decide if I want the functional one to be tuner with cassette, tuner with cd, tuner with 8 track, plain old tuner... probably with cd, not overly fond of analog tuners. And since I have an extra cd head unit or two floating around my parts bins...

When I got my car the gauges had been removed and aftermarket vintage style Autometers were installed but they buthchered the opening, so I bought another on Flea-Bay and re-did it over again.  Please ignore the crusty chrome but its all I could afford!  I will preface this by saying this does require removing some steel from the dash but all behind the trim.  I also removed the screws that hold the trim on and replaced it with studs.  So it all slid in and nutted from behind, nice and easy.  I also still have my stock gauges and I'm going to offer them up for sale here soon.  They are missing one gauge(fuel I think).

Any way nice thread you all got going here!

that's a nice looking setup.

Redline Gauge Works in Santa Clarita Calif. is doing the conversion for my gauges. We're keeping the original appearance.  http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/default.asp    I'm only doing the conversion for the amp, oil, gas and temp gauges.  They are very customer oriented and generous with their opinions.  Ask for Shannon.  I would call them first if I had the combo you are wanting to put together.  

I like the Hemi.  What 5 spd?

it's a chevy sourced NV3500. new venture trans was a joint venture between Chrysler and GM. i bought an adapter from Hotheads. they have a real low first gear. so a highway gear (high 2's to low 3's) works real well. I've had better luck finding the GM versions so that's why i set it up that way. I've heard people say they aren't very strong, but i used one in my 55 chevy with a big block and had no probs. i've also had several buddies run behind some stout motors and NEVER saw one fail.

click here--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_3500_transmission

Edited by scotty t

if you have the low first gear so is your second gear..it is commonly known as a wide ratio tranny giving you the grunt of the truck for pulling a load and yet at highway speed and top end the performance related to the automobile..

3rd, 4th and 5th is the same in both close and wide ratio versions

I also will have the NV3500 in my Plymouth bz cp but in close ratio gearing

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Guest bewillie

I have that vacum pump mounted between the firewall and inter fender splash shield to power brake booster. Can't see it but I don't like the noise it makes every time you apply breaks. My car is a 50 so  the p15 may not have room under there.

what do you guys think of a vacuum pump and a canister?

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-904-214-Mechanical-Vacuum-Truck/dp/B001KQF6PC

Interesting that they call it a mechanical vacuum pump when the photos shows an electrical connector. Can't find anything that says so, but I strongly suspect it takes 12v DC to run that unit.