OT Jet Fuel

Labrauer

HAMILTON, N.J. (AP) — Officials say aviation fuel was pumped into cars after it was mistakenly delivered to three New Jersey gas stations.

Authorities closed a station in Lawrence, and two in Hamilton after the error was discovered.

Mercer County spokeswoman Julie Willmot tells The Times of Trenton (http://bit.ly/YWcquW ) the stations will remain closed until all underground storage tanks, lines and filters are emptied and cleaned.

State officials are investigating how the mistake happened.

Several cars stalled on Friday when a gas station in Keyport and one in Manasquan unknowingly pumped jet fuel into their tanks.

:eek:

Yep, highly refined kerosene, or diesel. Those jet-engined dragsters use plain road diesel. Still won't burn in a gas engine, tho.

And NJ does require the station to pump your gas - wasn't always like that. It's a fairly recent development, late 90's, early 2000's or so, I think. We hadn't made a trip to NJ for a while, and the first trip there after we moved to Michigan (day's drive) in 2003 - poof! Some guy is mad at me because I got out of my car to pump my gas. The In-laws haven't been able to provide any insight as to why. Didn't affect their gas prices that I could tell.

I wonder how that jet fuel would burn in my kerosene heater? (Hey y'all, watch this! :eek:)

Yep, highly refined kerosene, or diesel. Those jet-engined dragsters use plain road diesel. Still won't burn in a gas engine, tho.

And NJ does require the station to pump your gas - wasn't always like that. It's a fairly recent development, late 90's, early 2000's or so, I think. We hadn't made a trip to NJ for a while, and the first trip there after we moved to Michigan (day's drive) in 2003 - poof! Some guy is mad at me because I got out of my car to pump my gas. The In-laws haven't been able to provide any insight as to why. Didn't affect their gas prices that I could tell.

I wonder how that jet fuel would burn in my kerosene heater? (Hey y'all, watch this! :eek:)

Yes, stage 4 or 5 will burn in a kerosene heater...been there done that, thank you uncle sam for making us take daily fuel samples........and disposing them properly;):eek:

Just a little oft topic but in high school I was always broke and one day I needed a little fuel for my old Model A roadster. So just being a teenager and not thinking to much I found some paint thinner (Turpentine) out in the garage. Well I dumped about a 1/2 a gallon of that stuff into the gas tank and well the car did run but not very good. Anyway by the time I got to school I personally smelled like a can of oil base paint. Things you do as a kid are nuts but hay it worked and I got to school that day. :)

PS. Did alot of crazy things back in highschool but made it through and now I'm an old man just thinking how did I make it to this age?

Edited by JIPJOBXX
x

Makes me laugh when you mention "Jet" fuel....so many people head for the hills thinking it is such a volutile fuel.....Kerosene with the wax removed.

Sure messes up a gas engine tho.....lotsa smoke and no power.

This mixup is not uncommon.....

I was watching a TV show about "professional" truck drivers that bragged about how they could haul any thing any where. They had hauled diesel fuel, gasolene, ammonium nitrate, dynamite, and even full acetylene tanks with out so much as a flinch. They were asked to haul jet fuel and you would have thought they were being asked to haul nitroglycerine packed in straw with trailers without shocks or springs and straight axles.

At several of the airports that I used to inspect for safety they had split above ground tanks. The tank had a bulkhead in the middle with Jet A in one end and 100LL in the other. I always advised the attendant before allowing the tank truck driver to connect to the tank to take a small sample and put your first finger and thumb in the liquid them move them in the air until dry and rub them together, if they were slick it was Jet A and if they offered resistance like the other hand did then it was 100LL.

Dyn-o-mite? maybe they were thinking AVgas, which i believe is about 116 octane, JP5 is more like kerosene, and burns very hot. I was an airdale not a grape, but did have to take fuel samples from the old SH-3G's we hovered around in, still remember twrilling the clear glass sample jar for the PC to check out before QA arrived.

Would running Av-Gas actually harm an engine? I had a moped for awhile down in Brazil, and after it got a bit older it wouldn't idle any more, and there was no air-fuel adjustment on the carb (it was pretty cheap). I could get av-gas from the pilots, and it ran well on that. (That was a 2-cycle of course, so it was the oil-gas mix.)

Neto

Dyn-o-mite? maybe they were thinking AVgas, which i believe is about 116 octane, JP5 is more like kerosene, and burns very hot. I was an airdale not a grape, but did have to take fuel samples from the old SH-3G's we hovered around in, still remember twrilling the clear glass sample jar for the PC to check out before QA arrived.

A grape is an airdale:)....if you were not a plane captain, and not quality control....you must have been a non-rate E3 or below airman. What did your rate did you end up being?

I was associated with the Army 3 years, Ar Force reserves for 17, last three as QA, spent lots of time on the flightline, countless years of inactive time, 16 years with DoD Navy and been onboard Marine assault carrier and 18 plus years as Dod civilian Air Force..the term grape is a new one to me..

A grape Tim, is an aviation bosun's mate fueler and wears a purple turtleneck under his perscribed work uniform when on the flight line or flight deck during operations. The colored system works quite well to id you and what you should be doing.

red=BB stacker=aviation ordanance and so on and so forth.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ships/carriers/rainbow.asp

A grape is an airdale:)....if you were not a plane captain, and not quality control....you must have been a non-rate E3 or below airman. What did your rate did you end up being?

I stand corrected, a grape is an ABF (aviation bo'sun's mate fuels) and as you reminded me, is an airdale, my bad, been a few years since i was on the flight deck, what i meant to say was I was an airdale directly involved in the maintence of the aircraft. At the time we were a detachment, HC1-Det 2 on the U.S.S. Midway out of Yokosuka japan but the airwing was actually stationed in Atsugi Japan across the bay, we were flying SH-3G's used for plane guard and utility service and an ocassional VIP run, no sonar dipping, although there was a dedicated VIP Det (HC1-Det 6) aboard the U.S.S. Blue Ridge for Comseventhfleet, if I recall correctly.

I was an AT (Aviation Electronics Technician) and was at the time a 3rd class and was assigned to the line shack as the Flight deck troubleshooter for the Det turning flight ops. Sorry for the goof, the noggin' ain't waht it used to be, along with some other parts, especially the ears.

I was an AMH1 bubble chaser, we called ATs one wires lol.......welcome aboard shipmate!

Frankie, Frankie, Frankie, one wires were AE's, AT's had to chase two or three wires ! truthfully, AE's worked their butts of, we shared a shop on the hanger deck with them, man the looks on thier faces could kill when they came in for a tool or supplies and we AT's had our boots on the bench watchin' a movie. They certainly earned thier pay (such as it was). I'm proud to have served, really wanted to be a marine, but sadly, I wasn't good enough. Did end up doing some time with a branch your probably familiar with, the SEALS, I wasn't a SEAL exactly but a specialized unit identified as....................................................................................................................................................... the WALRUSES but the only action I saw was on the hanger deck at night doing mandetory PT ! Here's a pic of our Walrus Team 0 doing pushups. LOL

post-9038-13585372492982_thumb.jpg