• Edmunds
    • Ellis
    • Tattersfield
    • Thickstun
    • Nicson
    • McGurk
    • Sharp
    • Other

We are probably all familiar with Fenton, Edmunds, and Offenhauser, heads intakes and exhausts. How many others are represented here and how many do some of you OLDE F@HRT$ remeber lusting after as a kid???

So show your brand or share what you remember.

As of next week, my car will be running a FENTON head with a SHARP dual-carb intake, FENTON headers and repop EDMUNDS CUSTOM air cleaners.

Looking forward to hearing that run.

In the future, I'd quite like an Edmunds water-heated intake and I'm considering a lumpy cam.

Phill, I would like to see some pics of the stuff you mentioned. Of special interest is the dual plug head. What was the origin of that??? I attended an antique fire equipment muster last summer, many of the fire trucks there had daul ignition systems. These took the form of whole redundant systems and were for endurance demanded by the application (don't want the engine powering the pump to shut off during a fire). So they would swith ignitions should the engine develop a miss under working load. Wonder if your friend's head had the same origin or if it a performance application??

Phill, I would like to see some pics of the stuff you mentioned. Of special interest is the dual plug head. What was the origin of that??? I attended an antique fire equipment muster last summer, many of the fire trucks there had daul ignition systems. These took the form of whole redundant systems and were for endurance demanded by the application (don't want the engine powering the pump to shut off during a fire). So they would swith ignitions should the engine develop a miss under working load. Wonder if your friend's head had the same origin or if it a performance application??

My mechanic maintains a roadster that was made from a 1908 LaFrance fire engine; looks like a Mercer Raceabout, complete with the chain drive from the rearend to the drive wheels. The engine is a BIG flathead six, and stock it had a magneto ignition system and a separate points ignition system. Thw owner runs it in events like the California Mille Miglia, a multi-day event driven over public roads. It had a tendency to foul plugs and be difficult to start. So my guy converted it to a dual plug magneto system AND a dual plug pointless system using dual MSD units. It now has four sparkplugs per cylinder, but it starts much easier and it doesn't need new plugs in the middle of an event.

Marty

Head was made by a guy in Auckland, NZ called Ron Hogan noted for his twin plug alloy heads mainly for F..ds, he is in his later years & cannot recall ever making it :) he has a Delco Remy dual ignition dizzy to use for it, origin unknown. He brought the head (new in wrapping) with dizzy ready to go from a guy now deceased so the true history will probably never be known.

detail.JPG

top.JPG

Scroll down of the text entry page you will find a MANAGE ATTACHMENTS dialogue box. This allows you to pluck pics from your computor files and post them as openable thumbs rather than the direct link insertion.

Thanks for the pics, the underside of the Tattersfield look a lot like the Edmunds I have. It was apparently over torqued and is spiderwebbed with hairline cracks and now does a good job of anchoring a shelf in the garage

Head was made by a guy in Auckland, NZ called Ron Hogan noted for his twin plug alloy heads mainly for F..ds, he is in his later years & cannot recall ever making it :) he has a Delco Remy dual ignition dizzy to use for it, origin unknown. He brought the head (new in wrapping) with dizzy ready to go from a guy now deceased so the true history will probably never be known.

detail.JPG

top.JPG

Phil;

Thanks for posting. This is one of the most unique heads I have seen. Wonder how the spark plug directly over the piston kept from getting squished. Must have used recessed pistons.

I've owned or installed every thing listed except Ellis. I installed Tattersfield equipment on Flathead Fords but didn't know they made MoPar stuff. I also used light flywheels and clutches by Schaver. I'm in the market for a finned head of any brand for my 218.

Here are two of my dual carb setups.

One is an Edmonds with (2) 2 bbl Ford script Stromberg 94's.

The other is a Tattersfield with (2) 1 bls Ford script carbs. This one has Dodge and Plymouth cast into the top of the round area on the left.

MVC-005F-2.jpgMVC-004F-2.jpg

• 1 year later...