Is this drum brake puller any good?

PatrickG

I've been scanning the bay for a drum brake puller, and have heard some horror stories about the infamous "cheap Chinese" puller, but I'm not sure if this is it???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-Wheel-Hub-Puller-Rear-Brake-Drum-Remover-Tool-/250647188839?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3a5bbc9567

The drums on my plymouth very likely havent been off since the 50's, so I'm not expecting them to let go too easily.

Has anybody used or heard anything about this particular unit? Should I risk it? Or should I keep waiting for something name brand to pop up?:confused:

Or better yet is there any place in the bay area that has these things available for rent??

Patrick

It's Taiwanese.

No. 146, Dong Guang Yuan Rd., E. Dist, Taichung City 401, Taiwan

Fax: 886-4-22803847 E-mail: sales@jtc.com.tw

So does that mean it's going to fail on me?? :confused:

Or just that its going to say made in Taiwan on the side ;)

I'm not so much worried about its place of origin as I am about how well it will work.

Patrick,

I bought one of these 3 years ago and it works just fine.

My car only has 56,000 original miles on it though.

If you have a tough drum (rusty stuck) any puller will be put to the test.

Its a safe bet for that price although I like to buy American Tools most of the time I have some foriegn made as well.

The case it comes in stores well in a cabinet and everything is clean and ready when you need it again. I wouldn't pay twice that for the same thing

because your only going to use it a few times anyhow. Example Brake Job, Rear Wheel Seals/Axle Seals and when will you use it again 5-10 years down the road?

Tom

Patrick,

I rented one from Auto Zone that looked like that Northern Tool one and it does not work on our 46-48 Chrysler Drums. It doesn't fit our hub bolt spread or pull "strong enough" it was bought straight back and I bought the Taiwaneese one on line and it works fine.

Tom

Which ever one you use my advice is make sure the nut is on the spline. When I pulled mine off I thought I'd been shot. Very loud noise. Without the nut on I'm sure the drum would have gone across the room. I ended up hitting the puller with a lead hammer used for knock off wheels.

i bought a very similar one and it worked just fine. can't remember where it came from... if it takes a good beating, i wouldn't care.

the wheel cyls i ordered from andy b. were made in china,

quality seemed alright but the bleeder screws were soft like butter

and threads and heads were neither metric nor imperial...

reusing the old ones did the trick.

you never know what you get these days,

most stuff will come from countries with lower wages anyway.

it's a pity, but i was REALLY glad i got new ones at all.

I also have the Taiwanese puller which worked just fine for me. However I should add that when I first bought my car, I brought it to my mechanic to do a thorough inspection and he pulled all the hubs to inspect the brakes. I know he had a tough go of pulling those hubs.

So... my hubs had been pulled within 5 years of when I pulled them with the cheap puller.

Drum puller showed up the other day,

The car is in the garage such that there isnt enough space to do the drivers side until I pull it outside, but the passenger side drum didnt even put up a fight!

I got it nice and tight with the impact gun, and then moved to the big hammer, and after a few swings to my surprise it was already loose :rolleyes:

Didn't even notice it pop off!

SO all in all not a bad buy :D

Thanks again for all the advise guys.

Patrick

• 1 year later...

I bought the Taiwan version off ebay for about $60 and broke it on the first drum. I was pounding hard but did all the right steps and it should have held up. Loosened brake shoes, gave it a squirt of PB Blaster the day before etc...

broke the cast metal right in half of one of the arms.

Whoever posted below was right WHATEVER you get make sure it's heavy duty!

If I could start over I'd look for a OLD one made in USA out of real metal.

Otherwise make sure it's got a warranty.

and make sure you put some antiseize on the hub where the rust was from the drum when you put it back on.

just my 2 ¢

photo1.JPG

These new off shore tools ( China, Vietnam, India ect) are such a joke. Erosion of American industry. Buy it cheap for one time use and if it breaks throw it away-into the dump! Stupid.

I buy and own real steel good quality tools.

Bob

If anyone wants to buy a good one , I have one that I will sell for $135 plus shipping . it is the real heavy duty American made model . I haven't looked at it in a while but it is either Snap-On or Bluepoint . Shipping within USA is $11.35 . I will send a photo if requested but I won't be available until late tomorrow .

For anyone in the market that is the caddilac of pullers. I've never seen it get stopped. Pulled rear drums off a 40 plymouth pickup that had been in a junkyard for decades without issue.

..And a photo of one I have...Made In Canada-eh :rolleyes:

post-423-13585368217429_thumb.jpg

I bought the Taiwan version off ebay for about $60 and broke it on the first drum. I was pounding hard but did all the right steps and it should have held up. Loosened brake shoes, gave it a squirt of PB Blaster the day before etc...

broke the cast metal right in half of one of the arms.

Whoever posted below was right WHATEVER you get make sure it's heavy duty!

If I could start over I'd look for a OLD one made in USA out of real metal.

Otherwise make sure it's got a warranty.

and make sure you put some antiseize on the hub where the rust was from the drum when you put it back on.

just my 2 ¢

photo1.JPG

I too bought the same set. Broke on the first hit. I don't know how long the drums had been on. Luckily a brake shop found someone who had and old puller to use. I would recommend not purchasing this. Spend the extra money just in case you do get a drum that sticks.

Heres the puller I have used for 20 years as a Master mech. Mainly used it for freeing frozen cv shaft to knuckle. Have pulled many brake drums including my P15 usually tap the drum a little with a dead blow when pulling. Use my impact on the center bolt. Also can remove center bolt and use my large slide hammer. It has done 1000 jobs, purchased it from snappy truck.:)

post-8663-13585368229216_thumb.jpg

I have that tool made by OTC in Wisconsin, and an exact copy of it made in Taiwan. The OTC did not pop the drum off easily, and the Taiwanese tool just quietly broke the first time I tried to use it. It was amazing how exact a copy it was, just cheap metal.

Heres the puller I have used for 20 years as a Master mech. Mainly used it for freeing frozen cv shaft to knuckle. Have pulled many brake drums including my P15 usually tap the drum a little with a dead blow when pulling. Use my impact on the center bolt. Also can remove center bolt and use my large slide hammer. It has done 1000 jobs, purchased it from snappy truck.:)

This is the puller I am using. Good to see it will work.