NEWS FLASH - Dolly Dodge Makes Highway Debute

DollyDodge

My Dolly Dodge (B-2) got to got on the highway today. First time in 30 years she has been mobile. I have spent the last 6 month working on the engine and other things that needed repair. The biggest part for me was replacing the rod bearings (if you will remember she had a spun bearing). She ran good, no knock from the rod yet-maybe I will luck out and the bearing replacement will work for a while. The fuel pump did give up after a while so I need to get a new one, but she ran great and it was so fun to be on the road again. I rebuilt the carb over Christmas and it made her purr. I have the seats out of her and had to sit on a wood box, and I only have the front brakes and master cylinder rebuilt, but I couldn't resist. I was going to just run her around the yard, but the front gates beckoned us, so I flung them open and hit the road!!! I only wish someone could have been there to enjoy the day with me. Not many of my friends can see why I would get excited about running a 60 year old rusty bucket of bolts down the road. I am sure Dolly Dodge was smiling with me.

My Dolly Dodge (B-2) got to got on the highway today. First time in 30 years she has been mobile. I have spent the last 6 month working on the engine and other things that needed repair. The biggest part for me was replacing the rod bearings (if you will remember she had a spun bearing). She ran good, no knock from the rod yet-maybe I will luck out and the bearing replacement will work for a while. The fuel pump did give up after a while so I need to get a new one, but she ran great and it was so fun to be on the road again. I rebuilt the carb over Christmas and it made her purr. I have the seats out of her and had to sit on a wood box, and I only have the front brakes and master cylinder rebuilt, but I couldn't resist. I was going to just run her around the yard, but the front gates beckoned us, so I flung them open and hit the road!!! I only wish someone could have been there to enjoy the day with me. Not many of my friends can see why I would get excited about running a 60 year old rusty bucket of bolts down the road. I am sure Dolly Dodge was smiling with me.

Sounds like a successful 1st ride especially if it was a round trip, I have had a few I had to walk back from. As for you friends not understanding they just do not know how to have fun but maybe when its complete you can give the a ride and if they still do not understand then its time to get new friends;)

Hey, you got friends here! We totally get that "first ride" feel from these awesome trucks. Can't wait til you start posting pictures of the break down/build up. I have to admit, progress pictures are my favorite posts.:D

48D

I hear ya, that first ride is a vindication run more than a shake down cruise. All the busted knuckles, dealing with the salvage yard crowd, parts desk jockeys & whutnot, that first ride makes all the work seem worth it. In a way I reckon we all like to see others' work progress cuz it's either a trip down memory lane or a road map of where we want to go. People who don't understand this will never understand the journey, they only want to admire the destination or sumthin'ruther.

My first shakedown cruise after working on the truck for a couple of years was less than legal but you couldn't pry the smile off my face. On the trip back a trooper saw me and followed me down our road in right into the driveway. I could hear my wife saying I told ya so, but he was a truck nut-had a PH himself and was looking for a glovebox cover-needless to say he left with one! I gotta say that waiting in line at the DMV behind a guy that just got out of prison and was just looking for a photo id so that he could buy beer made me nervous-but all is well that ends well.

This kind of experience is the stuff of which great memories are forged. Helps to make the truck special to you in many ways. As time goes on and you get all the bugs ironed out, you will come to a great appreciation for these old trucks. Wish I could drive my own every day, butr just now it's 16 degrees here in east central Pennsyltucky, and methinks I'll wait a bit . . .

Congratulations and good luck.:)

Just thought I would add, I did have to walk home. The old truck quit running about 1/2 mile from my home. I thought it had run out of gas. I started home and a friend picked me up. I got some gas and filled the tank up but it still would run, I then saw the glass bowl on the pump wasn't filling. Anyway, I pulled to top of the carb off, put some gas in, ran it tell if quit again, and did the same procedure again. Only had to do it twice to get it back in the driveway. I didn't care, it was fun to be on the road again. I will order a new pump today.

Before you order a new pump, check the old one. the bottom pf the pumping chamber is held on by a hollow bolt. Remove the bolt and check it for debris, then remove the bottom from the pump. Inside the chamber is a fine brass screen. this may also be fouled. When these are cleaned and the pump reassembles, blow some compressed air back toward the tank and assure the line free. After you do that check the needle and seat in the carb to make sure it is clean ad working properly.

Before you hook the line back to the carb, check the flow. Direct the line ito a suitable container, pull the coil wire, and have some one crank the starter while you count pulses of fuel. 12 pulses should give you 8 ounces of fuel or more. Should be good to go if all that check out.

If you do buy a new pump, check the pivot pin the cam lever rides on. Several folks have had a problem where the pins are not effectively anchored into the pump body ane will work themselves out. When that happens the lever looses its fulcurm and the pump don't work cuz the vandels stole the handle

I have had the pump apart and cleaned it-it was clean inside-but I will do that again. However, the pump was leaking fairly well when I checked it after running the engine for a while (before it quit). I also did blow air back through the line and it was clear. When I put my finger over the suction end it still has a suction, but I don't know if it is functioning correctly. I just assummed it wasn't since no fuel was being delivered to the carb. I checked the needle valve it works too.

The new pumps are only about $60-seems like a good investment to me.

Do you know of a sellar that has the rebuid kits for the fuel pump?

Answered earlier in this thread:

If your pump is old and you put ethanol gas in it you need a new one. Or IMO better yet is a rebuild kit from antique auto celler.

Antique Auto Parts Cellar

PO Box 3 (6 Chauncy Street)

Weymouth , MA 02190

Telephone: +1.781.335.1579

Fax: +1.781.335.1925

email: Thecellar@then-now.com

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

Related to the gas comment. Is there any problem running unleaded gas through the flatheads?

All Mopar L-6 engines of that era had hardened exhaust valve seats. Leaded gas not needed.

However modern gas can contain additives that are unkind to old rubber formulations. Thus the recommendation to replace your flexible fuel hose with one made with modern materials and to rebuild your fuel pump with a kit that contains materials that can withstand the additives.

Tod added the link for me. I only had their name. I have one of their kits in each of my flathead vehicles and they work great. Little less cost then buying a new/rebuilt pump and I think you get a better unit when you are done. Some of the new/rebuilt deals have issues with the pump arm falling out.