OT BUT!!! Period Cloths?

Terry in Bozrah

You're right....those clothes look great with the car! For yourself, you can try the local charity clothes stores like Salvation Army. There are stores in larger centres that sell old period clothes. Robert Smith on this forum would also have a good idea as he has lots of period clothes. Check his profile and PM or email him.

You can also go the period service person route.....look at old pics of

garage guys and service station attendants. Most back in the 30s or

40s wore uniforms of some type......usually matching pants and shirt,

and a hat, with cloth patches of the brand sewn on.

The hat was the hardest item to find, at least around here. This one

came from an old army surplus store. The black part with the brim is

separate from the cloth top portion. The top either had snaps to attach

it or elastic.

I got my patches from a uniform company that had been in business for

many years.....they had removed tons of patches from uniforms they

had supplied......had them in barrels in the basement. Sad to say, the

place got a new manager who cleaned out the basement and all those

patches disappeared.....probably to the dump. I only took a plastic

Walmart bag worth of stuff, trying not to be a hog. Should have gotten

a lot more, but oh, well.

Various patches do come up for sale on ebay, & you sometimes see them

at swap meets. If a person had a good example, and willing to spend

a little money, copies could probably be made by a place that does

embroidry......like names and logos on doctors' coats and such. I think

they can computer scan the item, which will then be copied by the

embroidry sewing machine. Just a thought.......

100_9099.jpg

neat thread....or should I say neat THREADS...hehehe...

I pretty much wear Period clothes everyday...finding the affordable wearable stuff is getting harder. I get most of it at vintage clothing stores and estate sales. EPay is another option. Depending on what type of clothes you desire...some companies still manufacture "vintagesque" clothes....Overalls and such by Pointer Brand are really nice. Another option is military...it can be used as shop wear or casual pretty easily for a vintage look.

P.S. Rob Smith doesn't really know anything about vintage clothes....:D

qm.jpg

We've been trying to find 1937 era clothes. There are places on line. Someone told me to try old Estate Sales. Also look in old photos (family albums) for pics. Then if you know someone who sews, they may be able to copy the clothes. here's a couple of my mom and dad from 1936-1937.

http://www.midnightsparklevintageclothing.com/

MomandDadinPa.jpg

MomandPlymouth.jpg

Plymouths run in the family.

Here's I one I posted a while back, from the left my Uncle Ken, Aunt Edyth, Mother Sophie, and Father Lawrence. Dated 7/46. Period clothes of the period. Don't know if the car is Dad's or Uncles. I was still just a gleem in Pop's eye at the time

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=348&d=1164430808

I shouldn’t have too much trouble dressing for the era of my 41. Attached is a photo of my dad (front row on the right) with his mother, brothers and sisters. It was taken in 1937 in Larchwood, Iowa.

So bibs and a white shirt, and I’m good to go.

post-309-13585349149762_thumb.jpg

In looking at pictures from my high school days in the 1950s, guys either

wore what are today known as casual pants, like khakis - in various colors,

such as brown, black or green. Or, very neat Levis. Some cut the belt

loops off, some wore the narrow belts popular at the time. Some even

turned up a narrow cuff which they pressed to make it stay. No faded,

ripped items like today. Either plaid, striped or solid color shirts much the

same as today. Shoes were penny loafers (with the penny), white bucks,

saddle oxfords, or wing tips. Some just had regular lace oxfords, and they

were always shined. Tennis shoes were for gym class. So, for guys,

things have not changed all so drastically over the years.

And like Norm said, suits have not changed much either.

As it turned out, my family owned a clothing and shoe store in a town of 5,000 in MO.

So I was always around clothing. Worked in the store on weekends and in the summer.

The thing I hated most was washing the windows....along with having to work til 9 pm

on Saturday night......and watch my friends go cruising past.

Regarding uniforms---back in that era, painters usually wore a white shirt and white overalls;

mechanics and carpenters and other working fellows would wear like a khaki work shirt and

matching work pants, or grey, or blue. Painters also wore white caps. Besides painters white,

overalls we sold also came in solid blue and herringbone design. Every now and then an old timer

would get the best of me, when they would ask for something like "galluses" or "braces", which

were old names for suspenders. Arrow brand white dress shirts came in boxes of six, and there

were numerous collar point styles. We had a whole section of fedoras in both wool felt for winter

and straw for summer. Ah, the good ole days.

The cuts may be similar, but I don't think you found a lot of cotton polyesther blends. Light flannel or wool worsted was the fabric of choice for summer dress pants. Starched cotton dress shirts, Don;t see many ladies sporting ankle socks much any more. Men, longer collars, no button downs, short ties. and I haven't seen a pair of Spectators, since I cleaned out my dad's old suitcase up in the attic.

And where did my Oxblood Cap toe Oxford get to??

You know I really miss my Saddle shoes and crepe soled bucks.

When was the list time you wife clipped her seamed nylons into her garters?

And I haven't seen a two toned Eisenhower jacket in many moons.

I do not miss the horizontally stripped candy colored cotton T shirts my mother made me wear either. However, I am longing for a pair fo flannel lined dungarees.

Norm your are thinking of Varsity Jackets, I am referencing the short waisted Gabardine jackets worn by Generals during WWII and notably by Dwight D.

After the war, they got either different color sleeves, or collars, or the front panels were light and the rest of the jacket was dark. They were not what the properly turned out Husky fellow of the early 50's wanted to be seen in. Would that my mother understood this......Now you skinny guys probably looked right smart in these.

browngab2.jpg

Now, about the shoes......what else do I need?????

The saddles are actually golf shoes with those rubber spikes. Are

pretty comfortable and the spikes are pretty good for dancing.

The 2 tone wingtips and the checker pattern pair in the back came

from Bob Jones Shoe Warehouse in downtown Kansas City.

Maybe a few more fedoras to choose from???

I look for hats at rummage sales and other places in my travels

Or maybe a 40s tie with squiggly things, on a 40s display

from my family's old clothing store??

post-10-13585349153482_thumb.jpg

post-10-13585349153775_thumb.jpg

post-10-13585349154053_thumb.jpg

Carol and I were just talking about how Charlie always wears those bi colored shirts. I told her they were from a long ago style. When we were in Lexington a few years ago there was a great hat store downtown that had anything you could imagine in men's and women's wear. He would probable mail order. Seemed like he would wheel and deal. Frank

I believe the womans version are called Capri's same as they were back inthe 60's. the guys, well that would either be HIP HOP style or skate boarder rags.

guess they can't figure out whether to ware long shorts or short trousers. So they buy those things and don't have to decide.

Personally I am awaiting the return of plus fours......

Kinda reminds you of Ward and June Cleaver.......

Wore these garbs to a local hospital fundraiser called Blast From The

Past a few years ago.

The photographer brings in a big ol Harley for folks to sit on

for photos. I think we actually won a free photo for winning the

jitterbug contest.

100_9259.jpg

So now I think I get it. Time to throw on my bell bottom leisure suit and go crusing in my P-15. Or should I be wearing pegged pants? How about those black slip on shoes with lightning bolts down the sides? Or should I be wearing the shoes with the mechanical tongue wire lacers? I need to find some of them garters to hold up my period socks because the period socks dont have no elastic in-um. And my mother always wore some special period rags but she never discussed it with me.:D

I obviously had to pick up on this thread.

Agreed that you'll find lots of new clothes that 'tip their hat' to the styles of earlier periods, but there is absolutely no substitute for genuine vintage.

What you can buy today can't begin to be compared to the fabrics, quality, cut and workmanship of vintage clothes (unless you spend a fortune on couture or hand-made items).

Colette and I collect vintage and we love every piece we own.

If you're looking for some everyday items, estate sales must top the list. Then try Ebay.

There are plenty of vintage dealers around but you'll pay top dollar.

There are also some quite good reproductions available if you want the style without the true heritage.

Here are some pictures.

One is backstage with Rock'n'Roll legend, Lloyd Price, at our Rhythm Riot festival.

Colette's purple dress is by Ceil Chapman, who was Marilyn Monroe's favorite designer. It's a valuable item. And beautiful.

post-13-13585349181999_thumb.jpg

post-13-13585349182195_thumb.jpg

post-13-13585349182367_thumb.jpg

post-13-13585349182523_thumb.jpg

post-13-13585349189212_thumb.jpg

Hi folks...My Wife has been collecting and learning/teaching about period styling since about age 11...some 18 years ago. She is a vintage seamstress and stylist by trade...currently employed by the San Diego Opera(which is NOT such a great place to work...some of those biddies are real rotters) ANYWAY...hahaha...My wife has a few years on me in the Vintage clothing world...I've only been in it since 95 or so...started collecting WW1 and WW2 uniforms and kit I used eventually for reenacting and such. So I guess that makes about 10 years of wearing actual civilian threads now. On and off originally though, I didn't have the Green or sources to buy that stuff in the beginning. It can get EXPENSIVE. But it lasts longer(it's come this far and going strong) and is a much better quality.

Gee, Tangent, at the beginning of this post I just wanted to say....

Check out my wifes store on ETSY...she sells Vintage and custom made clothing and antiques from time to time. I also sell, but I don't have much left for sale...a few friends just had a shopping spree at my place. My wife also sells on ebay sometimes too...If ya have any needs feel free to email me with sizing an such.

If ya haven't heard of ETSY its kinda like Ebay without the ridiculous listing fees and with much much longer listing times. It is also a set price thing, so not really a bidding battleground. ALSO it's only for Vintage and NON CURRENTLY MASS PRODUCED items. Great source for antiques and the cute crap your wifes love to buy..hehehe... Here's a link to her ETSY store...http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5458065

Yeah....Western wear is my favorite (notice the horn in my grill:D )

It's easy to get a period western look with some newer western clothes...hasn't changed much...if it's not broken don't fix it...material choice has changed unfortunately.

Here's a snapshot my brother took of me in some of my original 30's western wear at his place in Rogersville, MO. The pistol was just one of his kids toys....I couldn't bring mine on the plane...heh

Gorgeous part of the world!

cowboy-MO.jpg