my own T5 install thread

Young Ed

Hey Lee you still got that pilot bushing for me? I've forgotten to mention it to you about 40 times now.
They never sent the second one----it was on back order. There name is Auto Gear---in New York---1-800-634-3001 or 315-471-8141. Their part # 0-127-010----pilot bushing 1 1/2 in. Ya I forgot myself till you just mentioned it. Do you want me to take care of it or do you? Edited by BeBop138
more info

They never sent the second one----it was on back order. There name is Auto Gear---in New York---1-800-634-3001 or 315-471-8141. Their part # 0-127-010----pilot bushing 1 1/2 in. Ya I forgot myself till you just mentioned it. Do you want me to take care of it or do you?

Nah if this project gets off the ground I'll give them a call.

what brand is a t-5 trans and what year would be best to use on a 52 b3b getting tired of 3 on the tree shift hanging up. or should I just look for old 4 speed pilothouse my truck is totally original except temp gage. Don c. I live about 130 miles from you and visit your city once a month to check my brother in V.A. hospital thanks to vietnam. Would like to meet you and ask a few questions on best way to go. If you're clutch is not slipping and you do not move when clutch is in. can a clutch still be bad causing shifting trouble. thanks for any help. Robert T.

what brand is a t-5 trans and what year would be best to use on a 52 b3b getting tired of 3 on the tree shift hanging up. or should I just look for old 4 speed pilothouse my truck is totally original except temp gage. Don c. I live about 130 miles from you and visit your city once a month to check my brother in V.A. hospital thanks to vietnam. Would like to meet you and ask a few questions on best way to go. If you're clutch is not slipping and you do not move when clutch is in. can a clutch still be bad causing shifting trouble. thanks for any help. Robert T.

T-5 is manufactured by Borg Warner. Google "T-5" and you will find all kinds of information.

Let me know when you will be in town.

Your trans problems are probably related to the linkage, the boxes them sellves are pretty bullet proof. You won't gain much by swapping in a truck 4 speed as the only difference is a super low (stump puller) low gear.

there are a number of rubber bushings in the linkage, as they wear, the linkage does not get its full travel and only partially engages or partially disengages gears as you shift.

You would probably lessen you problems by going thought he linkage and adjustments.

• 4 months later...

I have a little more progress to report. If I did my measuring correct the supplied pilot bushing will line up with the t5 just fine. Anyway to mark or put something on the input shaft and tell for sure how much support I've got? I also installed the clutch. For at least the start of the build I'm using the used 9" clutch disk out of the donor truck and a used 9.25" mopar clutch that was laying around. Quite possible the used pressure plate will need to be redone in the future. Also the flywheel had some surface rust that I sanded but it will probably need to be fixed too.

DSC01985.jpg

The flywheel is most likely from a car. I just grabbed one from the pile. Yes I'm using the truck bellhousing. The engine/5spd is going into a truck.

• 1 year later...

Ed I'm looking into doing the T5 conversion and was wondering how its coming with yours, thanks, Greg

Sadly its not really coming at all. I've got the T5 all mated up to the flathead but haven't made any progress getting it into the frame mainly for lack of a good work space to store it while I work.

• 2 years later...

DO YOU HAVE A INSTRUCTION SHEET AS TO HOW TO ADAPT THE T5 TO THE DODGE TRUCK?..I HAVE LANGDONS ADATER KIT..THANKS...LARRY

I do not. If you read this thread you'll see all of what I did. There isn't much to it.

LARRYSMOK, on 24 Nov 2015 - 8:55 PM, said:

DO YOU HAVE A INSTRUCTION SHEET AS TO HOW TO ADAPT THE T5 TO THE DODGE TRUCK?..I HAVE LANGDONS ADATER KIT..THANKS...LARRY

Call me crazy here, but would not you have gotten instructions from Langdon on the install of his adapter?  Personally I would contact him for that information and if there is none,  return the item and source a company that provides technical information with the sale.

• 1 year later...

Been a long time coming but I can finally update this thread. 5spd is in!

IMG_20170409_161450.jpg

IMG_20170409_163428.jpg

With the floor board in place-the rest of the opening is a wood floor. So just make the shifter hole in a different spot and you're good!

IMG_20170414_1925531.jpg

• Like 1

• ggdad1951 locked and unlocked this topic

Something I would throw in here and, maybe, save someone a lot of time.  The 53 and earlier truck bell housings are different than the 54 and up bell housings.  There are two big differences: 1. the earlier bell housing is about 1" shorter than the later ones and 2. the earlier bell housing is mounted to the frame from the side and the later ones are mounted to a crossmember from the bottom.

The deeper bellhousing will result in the input shaft being about an inch too short and other problems such as the clutch splines not meeting the splines on the input shaft.

I'm going to try to make mounts for an earlier bell housing for my '54 as, I think, it will be easier to make mounts than it would be to make a bell housing.  Tom Langdon was not aware of the differences but I filled him in for the next guy.  

If you have an earlier truck bell housing for sale, please let me know as I need one.

Edited by lonejacklarry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lonejacklarry said:

Something I would throw in here and, maybe, save someone a lot of time.  The 53 and earlier truck bell housings are different than the 54 and up bell housings.  There are two big differences: 1. the earlier bell housing is about 1" shorter than the later ones and 2. the earlier bell housing is mounted to the frame from the side and the later ones are mounted to a crossmember from the bottom.

The deeper bellhousing will result in the input shaft being about an inch too short and other problems such as the clutch splines not meeting the splines on the input shaft.

I'm going to try to make mounts for an earlier bell housing for my '54 as, I think, it will be easier to make mounts than it would be to make a bell housing.  Tom Langdon was not aware of the differences but I filled him in for the next guy.  

If you have an earlier truck bell housing for sale, please let me know as I need one.

Huh...interesting. I didn't know they changed the design. Do you have pics? The bottom mount design sounds like the car bellhousing from what you describe.

2 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

Huh...interesting. I didn't know they changed the design. Do you have pics? The bottom mount design sounds like the car bellhousing from what you describe.

No, I do not have any pictures.  I'm not familiar with the car bellhousing so I cannot be of help there.

Edited by lonejacklarry