Replacement Flathead 6 for 49 Plymouth

Cooper40

Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement engine for my 1949 Plymouth. I found this one on Marketplace but he lists it as a 213. Did he make a mistake and mean to say 218 or is there such thing as a 213? The engine I have now is a 218. Wondering if this would fit?

https://www.facebook.com/share/vRefakVSW4treWkF/?mibextid=kL3p88

The engine number will tell you for sure. Because a 49 Dodge should have come with a 230 but that don't mean it's still got its original engine either.

Edited by Sniper

44 minutes ago, Cooper40 said:

@greg g I do still have the trans and bell housing for the plymouth. Not even sure if im going to get this yet because he hasn't responded saying it's available. 

Not trying to be a wise guy, but the seller may not respond to the 'is it still available' push-button.  If you write a sentence or two to the seller it may make him respond to you.

Marked sold currently. Hope you got it if you wanted it. Probably a 218 and typo, looks like fluid drive...none of that is a blocker though. Use your 230 crank/rods/flywheel et cet and you have a 230 that bolts into your car.

8 hours ago, Cooper40 said:

@wagoneer $3000 is pretty steep for me and he doesn't ship. I'd preferably want to find something more local and not so expensive. But thanks for the link. 

Not really when you consider what it would cost to rebuild what you have.  A used motor can be a crap shoot.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Not really when you consider what it would cost to rebuild what you have.  A used motor can be a crap shoot.

As an aficionado (and owner of a truck with a plymouth engine in it), I can't get over this motor! It's so exciting. Due to some conflicting circumstances, buying this right now is not possible for me, but oh it's number 1 on my Christmas and birthday wish list.  There is something about having an original zero mile engine from 60 years ago. Like going back in time and experiencing it as-was in the day.  I posted to this site thinking someone here would really appreciate it appropriately before this guy parts it out completely. I love the original color (we've had many threads on that), the original stickers, the parts. I've seen one other such crate engine on this list in the last four years, and maybe there are more somewhere in warehouses awaiting some government surplus sale. 

What is your location?  I have a running when pulled P 15 engine under my bench.  Compression was a bit down, has moderate blow by, and some piston slap cold.  20psi oil pressure at idle 30 to 35 psi running down the road.  Engine only you would need to swap over manifolds carb distributor starter and generate,  Perhapes exchange oil pan and pickup plumbing.  In Syracuse area. PM me.