Head gasket sealant , recommended? Mopar Rtv?

For head gaskets I use Permatex's "Copper Spray-A-Gasket".  It's for high temperature applications and has excellent heat transfer and sealing.  "High temperature" doesn't necessarily mean it withstands heat, it also means it facilitates even heat transfer between the parts that the gasket is sealing.  As per Sniper, it's also what at least some of the gasket makers recommend.

When my Dad was learnin' me about working on engines, we would use silver spray paint for head gaskets.  Three reasons; one is that when he learned there may not have been a specific head gasket sealant and I don't recall there being any until I was older; two, they used to put aluminum in silver paint (he told me you had to look at how the paint was made because "they" were starting to use other than aluminum in silver paints); and three, it was inexpensive.  My Dad's not cheap, but he is frugal.    

Well it calls out for mopar perfect seal.. and with a quick google search. I get RTv and gasket maker.. so I’m hoping to get pointed to the right one the first time. So I don’t get any weeps, leaks, trickles.. 

Neither RTV nor gasket maker is appropriate for a head gasket. You don't tell us what kind of head gasket you're fixing to use composite or copper? If it's an all copper head gasket use the spray copper already mentioned. If it's the felpro style which is copper on one side and composite on the other use nothing on the composite side copper spray gasket on the copper side. If you've got something else let us know

• Like 2

This just reminded me, as a kid my dad would use a slight coat of grease on both sides of a copper gasket with no issues. So I did the same for many years until I started to read and follow the manufactures gasket instructions.

• Like 1

The spray-a-gasket is made to seal those head bolts, too.  Says so right on the can, and I use it for that, as well.  Not necessary to seek out more than one product. 

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Just got the head today and gasket is copper yes sniper.. I try to keep to OEM if at all possible even in my daily cars. But got the head dipped and magna flux and new plug.. but gonna take on putting it back.. how much is too much gasket sealant I guess is my only question. Says evenly I got that.. and I assume not caked on as well? 

Thanks sniper always giving me a lot to chew on sir. Was considering getting new head but all sold out until god knows when. But thanks for giving me good pictures to refer too and good general direction. Using the old one just for hope the bad boy kicks over and all that. But in future I wanna get n aluminum head. So with that being said. Thanks again for all that info to chew on for a bit 

I’ve benefitted greatly from Permatex High Performance Thread sealant on all threaded fasteners that touch the coolant. Don’t settle for anything less. 

I’ve also had no issues when I sprayed the head gasket with Permatex Copper spray. Good stuff. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading this i realized that i never put thread sealant on head bolts that go into the water jacket. Why did i not know of this, as i have pulled and replaced many heads. never had any leaks that i know of. Just luck i guess. one thing i have learned is to get two head bolts that are extras , cut the head of the bolt off, and place one near the front of the block and one near the rear. Just thread them in a little way and they will guide the head on perfectly to the gasket. then you can pull them out and complete the job.      capt den

• Like 2

19 hours ago, spongebob said:

Reading this i realized that i never put thread sealant on head bolts that go into the water jacket. Why did i not know of this, as i have pulled and replaced many heads. never had any leaks that i know of. Just luck i guess.

While most folks put the sealant on the bolts to make sure they don't leak, it can also be used as an anti corrosion measure so the bolts don't corrode to the block. This will make for easier removal of the head later in life.

Joe Lee

Yep, cuz the gasket seals the coolant in its system.  The sealant keeps coolant from between the bolts and block,  keeping corrosion from seizing the bolts to the casting. If you have head bolts weeping coolant, it's a gasket problem,