Metal Insode Wheel Wells Coated?

Bingster
Go to solution Solved by desoto1939,

Agree, more than likely some sort of rustproofing or underbody deadening........if not wanted now then scrape it off but make sure to put something on in its place.....andyd 

• Solution

LOTS of cars had dealer applied body undercoating to help prevent rust through of the fenders and rocker panels.

BUT, they then found out that this was causing more issues and rust and holes.  What was happening is then when a rock hit the metal in the fender well it then nicked the underside of the rust proofing material and then made a small hole.

So if you lived in the Rust Belt area and they used salt to treat the roads the brine mixture would then be splashed up and then seep into the hole and then colect again st the metal body and then start the rusting process and the car owner never knew what was happening.

When they came up with the galvanized fenders and body metal this prolonged the life of the body panels to prolong the issue of premature rust out.  Chrysler was an real inventor to the galvanized panels on their Caravan's. 

Since we do not drive our cars in the winter with the salt issue I would scrap off al of the old under coating and then apply a good coat of PORS on the metal.

We have also discovered that when people put bed liners in their pickup trucks the water and moisture would get under the liner and then when the owner took off the liner the entire bed area was rusting, same issue again with moisture.

Just my input.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Just do the best you can to embrace the suck.

Mask and glasses and various tools to chisel away the junk ...... Not sure if common today, it was common back then to apply undercoating and charging extra for the process. Who knows what works best to remove it ....they used different products back then to try and be the best ..... Maybe warming it up with a heat gun will help remove it ..... chances are a chisel and hammer will get the job done.

Just a terrible job to be lying underneath it and dropping the crap on you ..... Rough job but someone needs to do it!

This car was covered with the stuff under the hood when new. I mean on the firewall, inner fenders, all heater  .... It was a dual heater car and of course underneath the car.

I imagine it was done at the dealer when it was new ..... what a mess to try and go through and remove it all .... Under body is one thing, but inside engine compartment is another.

uncle2010.jpg.3c1ec0ea8483d1dba9e58c223acbf67c.jpg

7 minutes ago, oldodge41 said:

Off the original topic but somewhat related. Anyone used Fluid Film, Woolwax, Krown, etc. as a rust deterrent?

There is a youtube channel I watch sometimes ..... guy is a pretty fair mechanic and has interesting content.

What he uses is bar oil for chainsaws. He thins it down with paint thinner then uses a pump up garden sprayer to apply it. The paint thinner evaporates leaving the sticky oil.

Then he drives the vehicle down a dirt or gravel road and coats the fresh oil with a layer of dust ..... just helps give the oil a protective layer to keep it in place.

This is what he does to his daily drivers, not sure he would do it to a classic car ...  that he would not drive in the winter.

I like the idea because it is cheap, easy to do, and it is not permanent.

He says he needs to repeat the process after about 3 years .... If he needs to work on it he has a lift and can just raise it up, pressure wash it to clean it and when finished just apply more.

Compared to spraying undercoating on that is permanent and a pita to get rid of .... I would choose this method if I needed it .... Texas I do not need it.

• Like 1

I used rust cure formula 3000 on the inside of the car, once I was refreshing the interior. Apparently, there were some studies performed by Canadian DOT, or something like that, indicating that liquid rust proofing really works if applied frequently. Some of our Canadian members might know better. I am planning to use it on the outside, as well, but just did not get around to it, yet. However, I would not be able to test it since the car is not driven in adverse weather conditions. Thus far, the only thing I can say is that it really does not drip and spreads very well :)

• Like 1

Never tried it, but to get old undercoating off, I've heard that using a quick freeze spray works well, because, they say, it makes it not so sticky.  I think they say you can freeze it, then wack the panel with a rubber mallet, and the stuff cracks up and breaks loose.  I don't think I would want to try to dissolve it.  Seems to me it would make it worse, unless it was a very thin layer.  I have never tired to get any off, so I don't know what works best, just some ideas I've heard over the years.