Has anyone ever seen this 1951 B3B? Was told Florida vehicle and was sold in Syracuse NY 2006!!

Hello! I am an automotive teacher for a High School CTE NYS Certified program. Each year students have the chance to build a vehicle that ends up being raffled off. 

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this vehicle. All I know is it was in Florida (last titled in 58), Came to Syracuse Nationals and was sold, And I bought it Last week. 

The students and I have SO many questions and thought someone here may be able to shed some light.

Yes the bed tips up (how it came) there are door poppers on the doors. 

It has a 360 CI dodge motor. I got it running on a few cylinders but wouldn't stay running. Students want to swap a different motor. 

Looks like Q1A shocks, Holley fuel pump/regulator/MSD ignition, and a neat fuel cell. 

How much modification would be necessary to install a 18-2020 Challenger/charger 392 SRT Hemi? The frame is modified and I was told it has a 9in ford rear diff.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

It looks like an excellent opportunity to teach troubleshooting skills, engine build theory like cam choice, manifold choice, carb size as to vehicle usage, diff gearing as applied to engines, suspension choices, frame structure.  Someone went to a lot of expense with body mods, bed has a lot of mods in addition to the lift.  As far as an SRT install, there are no kits to fit it into a Pilothouse chassis, stock or modified and it's not going to fit like the 360 does so all that will need to come out and start building from scratch.

Since it was sold in the Syracuse area, it was probably built in the NY area. Ask around at the local car shows.  Someone may know the builder

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dave72dt said:

It looks like an excellent opportunity to teach troubleshooting skills, engine build theory like cam choice, manifold choice, carb size as to vehicle usage, diff gearing as applied to engines, suspension choices, frame structure.  Someone went to a lot of expense with body mods, bed has a lot of mods in addition to the lift.  As far as an SRT install, there are no kits to fit it into a Pilothouse chassis, stock or modified and it's not going to fit like the 360 does so all that will need to come out and start building from scratch.

Since it was sold in the Syracuse area, it was probably built in the NY area. Ask around at the local car shows.  Someone may know the builder

is there a better V8 swap? 

WOW!   I'm not sure how streetable that chassis is and begs the question, What's your intended use for the truck.  For street use and simplicity, what's in there is a good choice, probably detune it a bit or a big block of the same era. An SRT would look at home also because of that particular chassis if you have the finances and tech skills to pull it off.

What is steer set up in this ?  Affects what type of motors readily fit in the compartment.

Appears as thought the center part of the steer tie rod linkages pass through the oil pan ??

DJ

• Like 1

My view on the situation is it is a tough call.

My personal opinion on it, the truck is very cool with a lot of work done to it ..... sad it is in the condition it is in .... Possibly owner got sick, old, passed away & it sat.

While I would never care to actually own or drive the truck, I think it deserves to be restored as built.

Since it is high school, possibly rebuilding the more simple engine/transmission will provide the most basic mechanical skills .... learn to crawl before you walk.

You know your own skills and abilities, the time restraints, finances .... the abilities of the kids. .... The awards of success, the price of failure.

The custom home made oil pan with the steering crossing through it will be a challenge. You will need to fabricate & weld motor / transmission mounts.

Some sort of aftermarket wiring harness, probably replace all the existing gauges to work with the new harness. ...... I envision it going to the auction at the end of the year as a 1/2 finished project.

While trouble shooting & repairing everything that is there, possibly pull the engine & freshen it up .... make a field trip on a Saturday and run it down the track.

Take it back to class to evaluate & improve it .....

As a teacher I think you need to decide what will help the kids learn the most .... personally I think it is a cool truck but a poor choice for a high school project.

Looks to be an Aspen/Lebaron front suspension, late 70s early 80s.  Once a very popular swap, as is the 8" Ford rear.  Frame from cab back looks all custom.  I'd bet without seeing the front clip is all Aspen, original frame frame under the cab only.

I'd vote for rebulding the 360 to fit you needs.   Good engine to start with.   408CI kits available if needed.  That intake setup is not my cup of tea.  I'd select a FI setup. Much more to learn for the students as compared to a swap.  

JMHO.

3 hours ago, Los_Control said:

My view on the situation is it is a tough call.

My personal opinion on it, the truck is very cool with a lot of work done to it ..... sad it is in the condition it is in .... Possibly owner got sick, old, passed away & it sat.

While I would never care to actually own or drive the truck, I think it deserves to be restored as built.

Since it is high school, possibly rebuilding the more simple engine/transmission will provide the most basic mechanical skills .... learn to crawl before you walk.

You know your own skills and abilities, the time restraints, finances .... the abilities of the kids. .... The awards of success, the price of failure.

The custom home made oil pan with the steering crossing through it will be a challenge. You will need to fabricate & weld motor / transmission mounts.

Some sort of aftermarket wiring harness, probably replace all the existing gauges to work with the new harness. ...... I envision it going to the auction at the end of the year as a 1/2 finished project.

While trouble shooting & repairing everything that is there, possibly pull the engine & freshen it up .... make a field trip on a Saturday and run it down the track.

Take it back to class to evaluate & improve it .....

As a teacher I think you need to decide what will help the kids learn the most .... personally I think it is a cool truck but a poor choice for a high school project.

we have been through a lot! Check out the past… SpartanGarage.org! 

1 hour ago, kencombs said:

Looks to be an Aspen/Lebaron front suspension, late 70s early 80s.  Once a very popular swap, as is the 8" Ford rear.  Frame from cab back looks all custom.  I'd bet without seeing the front clip is all Aspen, original frame frame under the cab only.

I'd vote for rebulding the 360 to fit you needs.   Good engine to start with.   408CI kits available if needed.  That intake setup is not my cup of tea.  I'd select a FI setup. Much more to learn for the students as compared to a swap.  

JMHO.

Would the 408ci bolt up to where the 360 is now? I believe it’s got a 727 in it as well

6 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

What is steer set up in this ?  Affects what type of motors readily fit in the compartment.

Appears as thought the center part of the steer tie rod linkages pass through the oil pan ??

DJ

I’ll have to check that out when I see the truck again. It has power steering. Didn’t get to look at it long. It’s being painted…

• 3 months later...

Early Dodge Dakota front frame swap will give you modern brakes, steering, suspension, and motor mount flexibility for most mopar v6, v8, not sure about modern hemi.  Same wheel lug diameter as ford rear with 5 bolt pattern.  I have no idea about the rear suspension except it's way to complicated for average street driving. 

• Like 1

Concur current front end is mopar transverse torsion bar set up.  I believe it would have been  carried by a bolt on K frame sub member.   I believe there are HD police parts for that set up.  The regular applications were tuned for comfort over control, the opposite of what the rear looks to be aimed at.   As far as engine goes a mild 360 with a sniper fi set would surely be more usable than an over cam'ed, over carbureted stuff usually out there.

I'll join with the others who suggest reworking the existing 360 vs a 5.7. Even some experienced fabricators/hot-rodders would find the late model a big project.

A stock 360-4v claimed fastest production car in 1979 even though it was a pickup...the Lil Red Express. Looking Back at the 1978 Dodge Li'l Red Express Truck (motortrend.com) Just refreshing the 360 to the E58 spec's will be a good project. And, as suggested, there are some good bolt-on efi packages to look at.

• Like 1