Oil Drain Plug Magnet

Conn47D24

So happy I bought this drain plug .  Third oil change, and it still catches the fine metal ( grey ) , paste like .

This plug is VERY strong , hard to line it up and back into the pan actually.

Saw them on Facebook.  Shop I recall in Montana ??  Fellow and his Daughter make them.

After all the rebuld work it was cheap insurance.

oil drain plug magnet.jpg

• Like 1

on the install....put the plug to the hole, rotate counterclockwise till you feel/hear it snap into the start of the threads and you should be home free....this works for any nut/bolt when in tight areas of access or close tolerances of the threads or in this case the magnet pulling the threads off normal course.  Of course, if left handed thread opposite action required.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

on the install....put the plug to the hole, rotate counterclockwise till you feel/hear it snap into the start of the threads and you should be home free....this works for any nut/bolt when in tight areas of access or close tolerances of the threads or in this case the magnet pulling the threads off normal course.  Of course, if left handed thread opposite action required.

I always start the install process of any bolt using this method. It makes is so much easier to get the threads started and then you do not cross thread a bolt.

I have a friend with a 39 Desoto and he also uses the magnetic oil pan bolt and has also stated the same thing with the strength of the magnet.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

Yes on the filter, but most hours of running have been in the garage and around the block. Probably not much filter use.

I finally feel done and enjoyed a nice ride yesterday. 

Great product.   I will try the counter clockwise plan next change.  

Really have to fight with it from grabing the edges.

It's like trying to put a cat in a bathtub ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

once can easily drill the plug, epoxy a cylindrical magnet readily available on the internet and or snag one from a damaged nut driver.  You only locked into a supplier by lack of initiative.  Free your creative side and be ye productive.

Along the same line of thinking, you can probably achieve the same metal collection by literally sticking a rare earth magnet on the outside of the plug after you screw it in and tighten it.

• Like 1

Just take any steel standard plug and send it home. Grab a good quality neodymium magnet and slap it on the exterior top of the bolt. Will snap on there and wont come loose unless you scrape it off with force. No need to do anything else.

Edited by Semmerling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Riding said:

Not sure Freewheeling Tony Smith's daughter is making them anymore. What's the problem with buying one from Summit, Jegs, O'Reilly's, etc.?

Looks like she is

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/flathead-magnetic-oil-pan-drain-plug/1978244612277057/?ref=profile_timeline&referral_code=mini_shop_profile_featured_shop_card

In any case, it's supporting a youngster's interest in being a machinist.  Her old man is a good one and she could do much worse learning from him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

once can easily drill the plug, epoxy a cylindrical magnet readily available on the internet and or snag one from a damaged nut driver.  You only locked into a supplier by lack of initiative.  Free your creative side and be ye productive.

Well, the plug is 7/8-14, according to Dorman, but I am pretty sure their listing is wrong as I bought one and the thread pitch was incorrect.  Cheapest one I can find on Summit is $57 for 5 of them, or $65 for one, lol both Dorman.  $45 at Rockauto

So cheaper to buy her's.

Edited by Sniper

Anything Dorman is off the wall for the most part, Summit.....it is a hit or miss....local, you may just crap out.....I was not thinking so much the money involved to buy this as much as the sheer simplicity of a few minutes of your time and rolling your own.   Each can do best suits themselves.  

On 6/17/2023 at 9:29 AM, Sniper said:

Looks like she is

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/flathead-magnetic-oil-pan-drain-plug/1978244612277057/?ref=profile_timeline&referral_code=mini_shop_profile_featured_shop_card

In any case, it's supporting a youngster's interest in being a machinist.  Her old man is a good one and she could do much worse learning from him.

Just ordered one. As you stated, it's important to support our youth in real-world skills, including marketing!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2023 at 11:42 AM, Bob Riding said:

Just ordered one. As you stated, it's important to support our youth in real-world skills, including marketing!

Not sure what happened, but FB just cancelled my order saying the vendor took too long...

24 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

to that end if you did order on the 18th of June and it hasn't shipped by Aug. 3....yeah way to long....good thing that facebook has your back in my opinion.  

I wonder if Tony is OK? I saw a recent memorial on FB for a Tony Smith, but I couldn't tell if it was The Freewheeling Tony.

I still think it is good your order was cancelled.  If a seller has passed and was as I read it had a protege assisting, the status of the offered sales/service needed to be upgrade to the forum.  Little is as aggravating as trying to contact with a shop no longer in business.