Just Saying Hello

Old Guy

Would just like to say hello, been asked to look after a friends P19 for his wife to drive safely to various shows,  after he passed away. Already have a few jobs to tackle and thought this would be a good forum to join for advice and parts location. I live in the UK and parts are a little spare over here. Thanks for having me

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Would just like to say hello, been asked to look after a friends P19 for his wife to drive safely to various shows,  after he passed away. Already have a few jobs to tackle and thought this would be a good forum to join for advice and parts location. I live in the UK and parts are a little spare over here. Thanks for having me

I don't know you,your deceased friend,or his wife,but I want to thank you for being a genuine friend. Folks like you are hard to find these days.

• Like 2

Welcome Aboard from Oztralia........got any pics of the car?......we all like pics................andyd

• Like 1

Old Guy.....thats a nice clean 4dr Sedan, for years 4drs never got the kudos they deserved, as an owner of a 4dr for 50 yrs this past month I felt like I was fighting a loosing battle till I found this Forum..................its nice to see fellow Mopar Cars and Owners especially 4drs........... so my regards from Oz........Andy Douglas

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your kind comments

So I made a start today, front brakes as they were pulling to the right and making some very strange noises, to cut a long story short,  all four wcyls deteriorated,  2 seized, brake linings detaching from the metal backings, adjusters seized. So a complete overhaul required.

Question 1 

When adjusting, the manual states about 0.006 thou clearance between shoe and drum ( toe and heel)  is that right ? and if so how do you measure it ? OR  just do it by feel

Question 2

The original heating system is completely missing, from what I've researched the heater was in two parts, a heater pipe running along the underside of the dash to provide a rudimentary demisting system and a under dash unit with a blower to warm the cab, is this right ?

A system of manual valves would allow switching hot water on or off and diverting it to either unit

I won't go into the wiring which has bee crudely converted to 12v with no inverter to step it down to 6v for the gauges and seems to have been pinched out of a modern vehicle and butchered to suit, definitely a fire hazard, so that will also be getting a thorough sorting

Any help will be greatly appreciated

On 10/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, Andydodge said:

Old Guy.....thats a nice clean 4dr Sedan, for years 4drs never got the kudos they deserved, as an owner of a 4dr for 50 yrs this past month I felt like I was fighting a loosing battle till I found this Forum..................its nice to see fellow Mopar Cars and Owners especially 4drs........... so my regards from Oz........Andy Douglas

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

Thanks Andy, it is exceptionally clean underneath for its age, I think it must have had a body off partial restoration at some time in its life, I don't mind doing mechanical repairs, but bodywork ain't a favourite

This might help you out with the brake adjustment. Just know there was a professional tool made for it.

I have seen copies made from plastic pvc pipe to allthread ... you can get a idea from the thread.

While adjusting mopar brakes is different then what you may be use too. They were way ahead of everyone at the time and if adjusted properly work great today.

9 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

This might help you out with the brake adjustment. Just know there was a professional tool made for it.

I have seen copies made from plastic pvc pipe to allthread ... you can get a idea from the thread.

While adjusting mopar brakes is different then what you may be use too. They were way ahead of everyone at the time and if adjusted properly work great today.

Definitely make one of those, what a nifty little tool, thanks

I'm in the middle of restoring a 1944 jeep, similar principal, but it has a slot in the drum to fit a feeler gauge through, so couldn't work out how to do the Plymouth, problem solved

Old Guy.........you mention the guages and the 6-12 volt conversion..... the temp and oil gauges are mechanical, the amp gauge reads amps, and doesn't mind 6 or 12 volts........and the fuel gauge should only need a voltage resister to drop the 12 volts down before the gauge and should be o/k although the sender unit in the tank can be responsible for a lot of issues there......the globes throughout will need to be 12 volts and thats about it...........I can't help re the heater tho'.........lol.............andyd

8 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Old Guy.........you mention the guages and the 6-12 volt conversion..... the temp and oil gauges are mechanical, the amp gauge reads amps, and doesn't mind 6 or 12 volts........and the fuel gauge should only need a voltage resister to drop the 12 volts down before the gauge and should be o/k although the sender unit in the tank can be responsible for a lot of issues there......the globes throughout will need to be 12 volts and thats about it...........I can't help re the heater tho'.........lol.............andyd

Thanks again Andy, bulbs have been done previously, wasn't sure about the ammeter, but you've clarified that, will need to sort the fuel gauge out as stated, just hope it isn't damaged by already having 12v pushed through it 

Also wasn't sure with it originally being positive earth 6v and now 12v negative, if the connection s will need to be rearranged, bit more research required 

My 1940 Dodge has used the stock gauges with the 12 volt/318 V8 since 1973......both the oil & temp gauges are connected to the V8, the amp gauge as mentioned just reads amps even tho it has an alternator wired into it and the fuel gauge has a standard voltage drop or resister wired into its power circuit and still has the 1940 Dodge(Plymouth) fuel tank and sender unit...........and the car being 12 volt is negative earth, has been since 1973 ...........admittedly I have rewired everything and there is no original wire or circuit left that hasn't been replaced..........andyd  

P1010399.JPG

11 hours ago, Andydodge said:

My 1940 Dodge has used the stock gauges with the 12 volt/318 V8 since 1973......both the oil & temp gauges are connected to the V8, the amp gauge as mentioned just reads amps even tho it has an alternator wired into it and the fuel gauge has a standard voltage drop or resister wired into its power circuit and still has the 1940 Dodge(Plymouth) fuel tank and sender unit...........and the car being 12 volt is negative earth, has been since 1973 ...........admittedly I have rewired everything and there is no original wire or circuit left that hasn't been replaced..........andyd  

P1010399.JPG

Do you have a diagram of how the ammeter is wired into the charging circuit, using an alternator

Also the fuel gauge has 3 connections on the rear, but currently only has 2 wires , which I need to trace back  probably a power lead and sender wire

But good to know they can be used on 12v with a little bit of modification 

Nice to see a right hand drive, looks like you've put a lot of work into it, but definitely can't rely on 80 year old wiring