differential gasket replacement

Jac

I want to replace the gasket of my Plymouth P19 differential. Does anyone has experience with this and have some photo or a video of it? It looks like this is quite job when I see the explosion view in the service manual.

20210131_212500_copy_1638x1229.jpg

If you already have the axles out, now is the time to do it. 
gives you the oppurtunity to inspect the gears and give the housing a good cleaning inside. 
Locating a gasket may be difficult, i regularily use permatex ultra grey or ultra black silicone. A thin film on housing, let it set a little while then assemble. Done correctly its no different than a paper gasket. 

Edited by Tooljunkie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

If you already have the axles out, now is the time to do it. 
gives you the oppurtunity to inspect the gears and give the housing a good cleaning inside. 
Locating a gasket may be difficult, i regularily use permatex ultra grey or ultra black silicone. A thin film on housing, let it set a little while then assemble. Done correctly its no different than a paper gasket. 

You're right on the sealer.  The very best, IMHO, is 'The Right Stuff', although the two you mention will work.

To the OP, with the axles out it is just as simple as it looks.  Remove the row of nuts holding it on and pull forward.  Caution: Heavy. 

Wash well with solvent and inspect the gear teeth and backlash.  If it sounded OK before teardown that is likely all that it will need

Edited by kencombs

With the axles out, means this gasket replacement is simple......but I noticed the pinion flange is off..........for what I assume is a new pinion flange seal?............if so I'd do that and get that job done then replace the "pumpkin" gasket.........if you don't have a gasket buy some gasket paper and make one yourself, a fiddly job but easily doable..........wipe a smear of gasket goo on either side of the gasket and you're good to go................andyd

• Like 1

If thats your rear axle assy and you're that far in....Easy peasy now to address that housing gasket.

I suggest new inner axle oil seals, new axle shaft bearings,  new outer grease seals, and set up bearing clearances with the right stack of shims.

I am not sure if your inner axle seal is the same part number as my '38 (651678). However this new, modern Caterpillar seal was a perfect direct fit. Low cost too.  

88306809_10158348358947160_1871339808035438592_o.jpg

Edited by keithb7

So it must be an easy job when the axes are out. Do you mean the two shafts for left and right wheel? Must these be out before the 'pumpkin can be removed'?

I have no idea how to remove both these shafts.

20210201_164639_copy_768x1024_1.jpg

Put the brake drum back on. Thread the nut on only partially. Use the brake drum as a slide hammer. Grab drum with both hands. Push toward the diff, then sharply yank it towards you. The drum hub hitting the nut. Repeat as needed until the axle shaft with bearing, comes out of the axle housing. 

Edited by keithb7

Impossible job with axle shafts in place. Try not to damage seals while doing this although now would be a good time to replace seals and axle bearings as mentioned in earlier post. Axle bearings maybe ok but should be repacked with suitable grease at the very least. You need to get a shop manual as well. They are available on-line. Just the fact you need to ask if the axles need pulling to remove the differential indicates you’re on a bit of a learning curve. I’m not being snarky as I’ve been where you are now. A shop manual and asking lots of questions on the forum will really help. There are no dumb questions, only dumb mistakes by not asking questions. 

I was lucky with my first old car as I had an old mechanic as a neighbour who loved to help me out and taught me a lot. 

Good luck with the project. 

Edited by RobertKB