Ladies and Gentlemen, the End of an Era...

ChrisMinelli

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

I tell you what, if they made electric cars with the style and looks of classic cars I'd get one.  I;m basically talking about another batch of the origina; car, but with an electric drivetrain.  Something like the below.

F142570447.jpg

Or, a conversion package to bolt in a recycled  EV drivetrain.  Electric Pilot House anyone?

A wrecked hybrid would make a great donor if one had the wiring harness solved.

Alas, that future is set, but let us enjoy our hobbies now and for the foreseeable future. Fear not, for there are future classics already made, and being made for us to enjoy, and satisfy that tinkering electro-mechanical inclination.

Electric vehicles will inevitably become the dominant form of passenger and commercial transportation in the next 30 to 50 years for all the reasons that any technology becomes dominant - it becomes better than all those around it for any number of factors. I, for one, welcome our new electric overlords, and hope they come bearing stock in the power company.

That brings about a bit of sad inevitability - the diminishing and eventual loss of a supply chain of gasoline engine parts, skill set, demand to repair/create gasoline components, and possibly even accessibility to gasoline in volume to maintain our classic/antique vehicles. 

We are only able to enjoy our hobbies because of a continuity of skill and supply parts stretching back to 1885, but I doubt we will have so many NOS parts in 75 years time (3 generations after electric vehicles become dominant). By then our C38s, P15s, and D24s will be as far away from memory as the Civil War is from us now, or the dominance of the steam locomotive. Though there will likely still be a few Model-Ts running around.

You can still enjoy classic horse-drawn carriages, steam engines,  early airplanes, even early automobiles (< 1930s), but not without a level of skill and resources that is becoming scarcer and more inaccessible to the lay hobbyist every year.

• Like 1

Ford has said in their introduction of the electric mustang, that Ford sees a huge market for electric vehicle resto-mods. Ford is building 'electric crate motors' for that purpose. Many companies are cobbling it together now, or from wrecked Teslas. 

That likely means there will be a very healthy electric-conversion thread on p15-d24.com in the future.

I am reminded of the used electric golf cart that Dad got for Mom when her knees started giving her trouble when she tried to get around their place.  It worked for about a year then THPPPPPTTT.  I get the call, take a look at a whole mess of extra wiring that bypassed the dc-dc converter, did some research and a little testing, found out that converter (replacement cost $300) was kaput, extra wiring duplicated almost the entire wiring harness to charge the 4 batteries (replacement cost $300 each)...but the converter was able to charge each battery equally, whereas the extra wiring only charged one battery, ultimately killing the other 3 batteries prematurely.  To make matters worse, I figured out that the several hundred feet of extra wire added was basically only doing the work of a 2ft long jumper wire added to the original harness to bypass the converter :rolleyes:

Knowing how many old fixer uppers that I've looked at with wiring harnesses that resemble a rat's nest, and how easy it is to screw up the batteries and charging system on electric vehicles, I'd be reeeeally leery of any rebuilt electric vehicle in any form...EV system replacement parts get expensive in a hurry ?