Rack and pinion in my ‘48 Plymouth

Scott Knecht

On 2/1/2021 at 2:17 PM, Bob Riding said:

Found these pictures on the web. They are dated from 2014. Maybe somebody on the Forum? Look at the mounts- they look hand fabricated. I wonder if Fatman has mounts that would work?

197.JPG

196.JPG

That looks like Scotty T’s ‘48 Plymouth  

Edited by Widowmaker hotrods
Double quote

3 hours ago, Andydodge said:

The Cavalier rack as mentioned was used in all the USA GM J car variations which for those of us outside of North America included the Australian Holden Camira and various UK Vauxhalls...........andyd.

Good to know. Any reason restorers always seem to want Cavalier racks?

these cars failed early and were not what one would call high quality to begin with and thus did not fair well in terms of survivability and thus availability at the wrecking yards made them a good source for snatch these racks...at this point and time I think locating them in the yards is a crap shoot....most of these have been recycled years ago....of the three yards in the area, I have seen but one of these cars cycle through of late and it had the look of being sitting in the field total in-op status for many years....these cars had no real model that was desirable and the Z24 was just a paint package...and the steering rack is placed found on GM cars....it is TRW designed and engineered.   (front steer unit were also on Chrysler LHS platform cars)

They say Cavalier simply because that was probably the most common source, plus who cares to remember all the GM models it might of fit.  Heck during that time just about every Olds had Cutlass in the name somewhere

For example, in 88, if you looked at a Cutalss Ciera you got an end steer R&P.  A Cutlass Calais had the center steer rack the Cavalier also used.  The Cutlass Supreme was a recirculating ball setup.  lol, easier to say Cavalier and let the parts man do the cross references. 

• Like 1

That's exactly what my parts man, Jerry Turner did. I believe Jerry is 90, although he may be 91 and is still working everyday at his business,  Turner's Auto Wrecking, Fresno Cal. The guy is amazing, and has helped countless customers looking for parts for their vehicles for at least the last 50 years. It's a family-run business with his grandson Kyle pulling parts and working the front desk. All here in dry, (we are in another drought, or so it seems) sunny, central California. Here are some pictures of his amazing Disneyland for car guys:

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.41.05 PM.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-213.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-183.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-190.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-218.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-233.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-250.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-199.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-260.jpg

junkyard-vintage-cars-turners-auto-wrecking-fresno-california-258.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

Is he a Forum member? Do you have his contact info?

Yessir I am a mostly inactive member?. The pics shown earlier are indeed my 48 p15. Here’s what i remember about my set up: early cav rack and inner tie rod ends (94 and older),later cav (95 and up) outer with custom adapter sleeves, the steering arms were shortened, redrilled and tapered to 7*, actually the rack is listed as pontiac sunfire because manual steering wasn’t available  on the cavalier. The manual rack is shorter than the power version so the mounting brackets are unique to that application. My buddy and I did quite a bit of research regarding bumpsteer and we are confident that it will have a very minimal amount. When the car was mocked with most everything installed it steered nicely with the stock large diameter wheel. I believe I found a coupler for the rack to column joint through borgeson.

546C4B96-7622-4F99-91BA-5AACCF1D5586.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The J car racks and their various derivatives are used because they are a "center" pivot style and offer the best chance of not having any steering tie rod induced bump steer...........or you can narrow the whole rack & pinion by 9" like I did back in the mid 70's .....lol........andyd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sniper said:

You probably know some of my cousins then, they were in the Portage area then as well.  In the late 80's I was in the Persian Gulf wishing I was back in Chesterton, lol.

were you ever tied up in Manama when the LaSalle was undergoing a refit....I was there for 6 of those events...one ship survey and 5 refits periods...several other ships would come and go cannot recall their names....was on board a number of these other ships.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Been to Manama many times, but I don't recall much about any of the other ships there.  Only thing I remember was an oil tanker that came within 50 feet of hitting us as the tugs were swinging her stern around.  We hit the collision alarm and half the ship started dogging hatches, the other half started going to security alert, lol.  Had to get on the 1MC and order the closing of all hatches to clarify.  For the non sailors, there was no specific security alert alarm and in port if any alarm was triggered in meant security alert, which showed a defect in that procedure.  Generally, we used the General Quarters (also known as battle stations) alarm but it wasn't limited to that.

Me too.  I do know the kit includes the brackets, adapter sleeves to connect tie rods to outer ends and of course the u-joint I mentioned earlier in the post.  They don’t delete parts from the kits unfortunately.  
I also got the heads up the kit requires outer tie rod ends from a ‘04-‘05 Explorer.  Apparently they use the same taper.  We’ll see.