Traveling - anything interesting to see?

austinsailor

We're wandering around Ontario, in Peterborough today.  Going to a GM museum today or tomorrow. (Where the heck is the Mopar museum??)

We'll pass by Niagara Falls, then across the north edge of NY on to Stowe, Vt.

Anything interesting to see along that route? Anyone along the way want to talk old mopars?   I have a week to make a long days drive, so I'm looking for things I shouldn't miss.

If you're passing through New York, I think a worthwhile detour would be to go to Letchworth State Park.  Take I-390 exit from the Thruway heading south and get off at exit 6 for Mount Morris (watch for speed traps in Mt. Morris!).  It is known as the Grand Canyon of the east and was voted the most scenic state park in the USA a year or two ago.

Harold

3 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

If you're passing through New York, I think a worthwhile detour would be to go to Letchworth State Park.  Take I-390 exit from the Thruway heading south and get off at exit 6 for Mount Morris (watch for speed traps in Mt. Morris!).  It is known as the Grand Canyon of the east and was voted the most scenic state park in the USA a year or two ago.

Harold

It's hardly out of our way. We'll try to get there. Thanks.

3 hours ago, wayfarer said:

If you wander back through PA then put George Asche on your list.

Went to see George about 6 months ago. Busy guy, he and his sons have a lot going on. George still took the time to give us an extended tour. Nice people.

Edited by austinsailor

Nice auto museum in Saratoga Springs north of Albany.  Check out their website.  If you are going to pass through Syracuse on I 90 let me know.  If you are traveling east to west through NY I would encourage you to use US Rt 20 instead of the toll road.  No traffic and much better stuff to look at.  Probably only add less than 2 hrs to the Albany to Buffalo transit.

The Walther P. Chrysler Museum is out in Auburn Hills, north of Detroit.  If you have time, the Henry Ford in Dearborn is a must see.  On to NY - The Pierce-Arrow transportation museum in Buffalo is well worth a visit, many fine autos and displays, including a Frank Lloyd Wright designed gas station.  The Erie County naval and military park, also in Buffalo, close the PA museum, is an excellent stop, too.  They have the USS Little Rock (guided missile cruiser), USS The Sullivans (WW2 destroyer, only US Navy ship named for more than one person), and a submarine (I forget the name), as well as quite a few other displays.  That area has been revitalized and is a nice general visit.  Pearl Street brewpub is close to both of those venues and worth a visit in itself.  If you want "original" Buffalo wings, go to the Anchor Bar where they were invented, if you want the "best" Buffalo Wings go to one of the Duff's restaurants. Of course you have to see Niagara Falls proper.  Historical perspective is on the U.S. side, the cheesy tourist trap is in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada - visit Clifton Hill, that's where the wax museum, Ripley's, giant Ferris wheel and such things are.  From Niagara Falls to Rochester I'd suggest the Robert Moses parkway north to Fort Niagara (worth a stop, French outpost predating the Revolutionary War, oldest building in NY, I think).  Nice view of Toronto across Lake Ontario most of the time.  From Fort Niagara to NY 18 to the Lake Ontario State Parkway (no toll), into Greece/Rochester, NY.  Gorgeous drive, stop by Golden Hill State Park if you have time.  Beautiful view of Lake Ontario with a nice lighthouse.  Photo ops abound.  From Rochester you can drop down 390 to Greg's (and mine, too) recommended US 20 then on eastward.  (I lived and worked in southeast Michigan then western New York for a while before moving to Maine.)  If you want to stay along the border, the Lake Ontario Circle tour route to the Thousand Islands region is a beautiful drive, especially this time of year.  "Off season", so there will be less traffic as well.

Man with all the great sounding suggestions, can you afford another week or maybe two??  :)

DJ

Now I'm at Walmart. Picked up a unairy tract infection. Had to get over the border, that drive was fun, besides the traffic, a fever and feel like crap. No telling what it would cost north of the border.  Cost $0.00 dr, $1 prescription here.

I'll crash tonight, hopefully feel like studying all the great suggestions

When I had that infection, it settled in my family jewels, I sat motionless for four days. I certainly do not wish that on you. 

Bright side, I did have my motorcycle.  LOL

Edited by pflaming

Some updating on this wandering trip.  I got some great suggestions, followed as many as I could.

Started at Niagara Falls, the wife's #1 request. Spent 2 days touring everything in the area, including a 5 hour tour with the best tour guide I can recall ever going with.

Woke up Sunday morning with another - or more - high fever, another ER visit in the middle of the night. Got a little better, then visited the Pierce Arrow museum in Buffalo.  Well worth the time, great recommendation.

Then on to Letchworth State Park. Planned to stay 2 days, but we closed them for the season after one night. Again, great recommendation. 

Then headed for Vermont. Never been there. What a pretty place. I think everything in Vermont is in the middle of nowhere!

Wife wanted to go to a Vermont Country Store. I never heard of them, but I guess they are a big deal. So, she plugged their address into the GPS for Manchester, VT. Finally found it, pulled in to find we were at their company headquarters, there is no store in that town! She was a bit upset. 

Went on to Mt. Tabor, where I picked up a 60's 90 hp Mercury outboard motor I'd located, then over a narrow Forrest service road, over the mountain to Weston where there really was a country store. I can assure you that cost more than the outboard.

From there we went on to Stowe, and a huge high class lodge where the trade show, the destination of the whole trip, was located. 

Leaving this morning (actually feeling much better now) for central Missouri with a big trailer full of goodies from the show.  Straight shot, no more sightseeing.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Even people we met who live on the east coast never heard of the state park. 
  • Like 2