It is officially on the trailer

Don Coatney

I read the NC YOM law and it is super vague as you stated....they contradict a number of their own laws of which is a stiff penalty by not cross linking the tags. 

Well,how are the lawyers and courts going to keep their income incoming and increasing and the serfs in line if the laws are easy to understand and simple to follow? The Raleigh,Durham,Chapel Hill (Triangle Area) area might as well be suburbs of Moscow in the 1960's

• Like 1

yes...I agreed tot he fact it is the law and vague...now for a tid bit that is sure to upset a many folks in North Carolina, the law reads that you MUST deliver on demand the regular tag to ANY PERSON...me, your pastor or even the guy taking your groceries to the car....does not state law official or any government entity...says any person....now that is a vague law....

Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.

read it at:   http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=20-63

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

as I am not a resident of NC so, I have none...I also know that the tag does not eve have to be real tag....you can have the YOM made to your specifications it seems with no problem...I believe you know of the person I refer as he had these tags...

Now for tags that are and slated to be YOM tags for my state of Georgia....they are legion

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Both Tennessee and Indiana ran my YOM tags through there system prior to issue to use.

PS, when you reply to a posting make sure none of those little boxes aboveare highlighted  as they change your font and make it difficult for my tired old eyes to read.

yes...I agreed tot he fact it is the law and vague...now for a tid bit that is sure to upset a many folks in North Carolina, the law reads that you MUST deliver on demand the regular tag to ANY PERSON...me, your pastor or even the guy taking your groceries to the car....does not state law official or any government entity...says any person....now that is a vague law....

Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.

read it at:   http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=20-63

You guys are going to love this one. When you bring any vehicle into NC from another state and register and buy tags for it,they give you a temporary registration,and within 30 days send someone from the DMV theft and fraud division to inspect your vehicle for altered or missing VIN numbers. It is not official policy,but after several episodes I can tell you they seem to lose the original title from the other state that you gave them. Which means you no longer have proof you bought the damn thing,and that you can't take that tile back to the state where you bought it to buy tags or to get a new title in your name.

When they do issue you a new VIN,it is a cheesy decal with a new NCDMV VIN number they stick inside your door jamb,

Took me 3 freaking years to get a title the first time I went through this,and they had "lost" the Virginia title so I couldn't even sell it in Virginia because I no longer had a title at all. Yes,I did have a valid NC registration all three years and was driving the truck (37 Dodge) , but if an emergency had came up and I had needed the money I wouldn't have been able to sell it. Nor would my estate if I had died.

I no longer buy any car or truck from anywhere on a bill of sale. If they don't have a title with matching numbers in a "title state",I don't buy them no matter how cheap. "Registration slip" states don't worry me much because I verify no titles are issued in that state before I buy.

And there are a LOT of antique cars out there that have been running around with bogus titles for years because almost none of the owners knew where the numbers were stamped or what numbers were used,and just assumed the title they got matched the vehicle they bought. Others just bought matching year titles years ago and never worried about it. I knew a local guy 20 years ago that had a restored 40 Ford coupe show car he hauled around in a climate-controlled trailer and won a bunch of trophies with,and he told me it was foolish back then to worry about a title "because nobody ever checks. You should do like me,and just buy a title from that guy in NY and use that". This guy had big bucks in a pro-restored show car,and KNEW he didn't have a correct title for it and didn't care. He died maybe 15 years ago,and I have no doubt somebody has that car now that paid big bucks for it,and they have no idea it has a bogus title.

Which reminds and depresses me. When I had my P-15 at a local shop to have some chassis repairs done a couple of years ago,somebody stole the number tag from inside my door frame. Anybody know where I can find a new/repo one that is blank? 

Edited by knuckleharley

Bogus! Years ago, 1984+\_ I landed in Atlantic City, NJ. When I went to rent a car, I discovered that I had left my drivers license at home in Calif. The rental agency would not rent so I went to the dmv see what I could get. To make the story short the DMC top gun told me to go to the armory, tell that top gun that "Joe" sent me. He gave me a rules of the road book and said I could study it first which I did while sitting in a jeep. I passed the test took the results back to the DMV and got a valid NJ driver's license. When I showed it to the rental agent he rented me a car and didn't bat an eyelid. At that time licensing agencies in NJ were bid on and the winner received $$ for every license he issued I guess like the auto title in NY. A clerk at the agency asked to see the license, she said it took her friend six months, how did I get one in two hours?

Life can be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I read this wrong or missed something but, a bogus VIN or number tag is in the same gray area as the bogus title issue.

You guys are going to love this one. When you bring any vehicle into NC from another state and register and buy tags for it,they give you a temporary registration,and within 30 days send someone from the DMV theft and fraud division to inspect your vehicle for altered or missing VIN numbers. It is not official policy,but after several episodes I can tell you they seem to lose the original title from the other state that you gave them. Which means you no longer have proof you bought the damn thing,and that you can't take that tile back to the state where you bought it to buy tags or to get a new title in your name.

When they do issue you a new VIN,it is a cheesy decal with a new NCDMV VIN number they stick inside your door jamb,

Took me 3 freaking years to get a title the first time I went through this,and they had "lost" the Virginia title so I couldn't even sell it in Virginia because I no longer had a title at all. Yes,I did have a valid NC registration all three years and was driving the truck (37 Dodge) , but if an emergency had came up and I had needed the money I wouldn't have been able to sell it. Nor would my estate if I had died.

I no longer buy any car or truck from anywhere on a bill of sale. If they don't have a title with matching numbers in a "title state",I don't buy them no matter how cheap. "Registration slip" states don't worry me much because I verify no titles are issued in that state before I buy.

And there are a LOT of antique cars out there that have been running around with bogus titles for years because almost none of the owners knew where the numbers were stamped or what numbers were used,and just assumed the title they got matched the vehicle they bought. Others just bought matching year titles years ago and never worried about it. I knew a local guy 20 years ago that had a restored 40 Ford coupe show car he hauled around in a climate-controlled trailer and won a bunch of trophies with,and he told me it was foolish back then to worry about a title "because nobody ever checks. You should do like me,and just buy a title from that guy in NY and use that". This guy had big bucks in a pro-restored show car,and KNEW he didn't have a correct title for it and didn't care. He died maybe 15 years ago,and I have no doubt somebody has that car now that paid big bucks for it,and they have no idea it has a bogus title.

Which reminds and depresses me. When I had my P-15 at a local shop to have some chassis repairs done a couple of years ago,somebody stole the number tag from inside my door frame. Anybody know where I can find a new/repo one that is blank?

Maybe I read this wrong or missed something but, a bogus VIN or number tag is in the same gray area as the bogus title issue.

How would it be a bogus VIN number or VIN tag if it just replaced the one that was originally on the car,matched all the data on the title,and the car has been registered in my name for years?

I would not be trying to get a new title on a car,I would just be getting a replacement VIN tag for an existing car registered and titled in my name.

If there is nothing wrong with getting a replacement title if your is lost or destroyed,what's wrong with getting a replacement VIN tag?

Edited by knuckleharley

How would it be a bogus VIN number or VIN tag if it just replaced the one that was originally on the car,matched all the data on the title,and the car has been registered in my name for years?

I would not be trying to get a new title on a car,I would just be getting a replacement VIN tag for an existing car registered and titled in my name.

If there is nothing wrong with getting a replacement title if your is lost or destroyed,what's wrong with getting a replacement VIN tag?

Only one way to get a replacement vin tag legally is by applying for a new title and vin number thru the state BMV. Placing a VIN off another car onto yours is illegal, keeps the honest folks honest.

Only one way to get a replacement vin tag legally is by applying for a new title and vin number thru the state BMV. Placing a VIN off another car onto yours is illegal, keeps the honest folks honest.

Do that in NC and you get a new NC title and Vin number after waiting 3  years and posting a bond. The new VIN "tag" is a cheesy little decal that gets stuck inside your door frame.

And what part of "This will NOT be a VIN off of another car,but a repo blank VIN tag" that will carry my original VIN numbers is it that you are missing?

No reason to get upset, your car tag it the way you want. But if I was a buyer of a car that had a vin that had been tampered with I would walk away. It's also a federal offense to tamper with VIN numbers.

Edited by Branded

Don't shoot the messenger, found this doing a quick post. We all know this stuff happens a lot but the law is the law. It protect folks from buying a stolen car. Not implying anyone is dealing in stolen cars just passing on information.

I have attached an article here from Hemmings Motor news that pretty much says it all! If you alter or make a new VIN tag you are breaking the Federal Law and can be prosecuted for a crime. Taking a title from another vehicle and applying it to your vehicle is no different and can result in loosing you vehicle!! Hey argue all you want about no guts but its like Russian roulette.

From the current weekly Hemmings motor news letter!!

Dont Touch that Tag

No matter how much you want your dash to be absolutely perfect, theres one part you may not touch: the VIN.

There are indeed states that have liberal laws regarding VIN plates, but once you drill out those rivets, your vehicle will never again be free from suspicion, because other states take the matter a lot more seriously.

Broadly, mere possession of not only a vehicle, but a part from a car on which the VIN has in any way been touched removed, tampered with, obliterated or altered even if reattached or restored, constitutes a felony. Further, while you may (possibly) buy a car with an altered VIN and not be on the hook for the crime, selling one, whether youre aware of the alteration or not, can most definitely send you to jail. Naturally, intent will be considered during sentencing, but when you consider that in many states youre looking at 10 years in the pen, it would not be worth the risk.

The same standard can be applied to engine block stampings and any other numbered part, and although the standard of evidence is generally much higher, the penalties are the same.

There is an enormous body of case law, going back about a century, in support. For the Federal standards, see 18 U.S.C.A. § 2321, § 2[a]; and 18 U.S.C.A. § 511, § 2[a] and § 5

- By David Traver Adolphus

• Like 1

No reason to get upset, your car tag it the way you want. But if I was a buyer of a car that had a vin that had been tampered with I would walk away. It's also a federal offense to tamper with VIN numbers.

There IS no "tampering with VIN numbers" involved. They are the same VIN numbers the car left the factory with.

You know that, but the Feds do not know that.

The state DMV inspector know that. He also knows me and knows I have owned the car for more than 10 years.

Edited by knuckleharley

Not attempting to start an argument but anytime a VIN tag is removed or replaced it considered tampering. When a vehicle from out of state is brought into Indiana before it is allowed to be registered the vin is checked against the numbers on the title. They also look for any signs that the tagged has been removed or tampered with. I was looking at a 55 Chevy that I really wanted to buy but the vin tag was held on with screws, they left the factory tack welded. This thru a red flag for so I walked away from the car, I figured I'd let that one be someone else's problem.

• Like 1

I too would walk away from something with a "tampered" VIN unless the owner has documentation that the State knows about it, which is possible in some States, and in some cases is merely having a state law enforcement officer run the number through NCIC to verify it isn't stolen.  We used to encounter vehicles with several different VINs because they were cobbled together from junkyards when I was working in Texas and New Mexico.  This depends on the State, but each State usually has a determination of which VIN the vehicle would be titled under, i.e., the dash tag, frame, etc.  (All modern vehicles have "secret" VIN locations, too.)  Once in a while, one of the VINs would be from a stolen vehicle, which elevated the issue (duh).  I've noticed southern states tend to me more liberal with this, northeasterly states tend to be kind of sanctimonious about it.  Federal VIN tampering laws only pertain to vehicles manufactured after the date when VINs were standardized Federally, don't remember it exactly.  State laws tend to follow suit, but some made it retroactive to all vehicles.  Each State is different, and run the gamut of easy to deal with to a total PIA, you just need to be familiar with your State's requirements.  In most cases, suspect titles, VINs, registration, etc. can be overcome with a little legwork.  Depends on how much effort you want to put into it.  All this stuff is supposed to prevent theft and other illicit activities - not to prevent an enthusiast from resurrecting or maintaining an old car.   

• Like 2

Almost wasn't able to get a Kansas title for my '46 more door because Kansas titled off the engine, and the original Minnesota title (and all subsequent titles) were off the number on the door frame.  They really freaked out when I mentioned that the engine was not original to the car while explaining that it had never been titled by the engine number.  I ended up with a Kansas title using the same serial number that it had had since new, but it almost ended up with a number that didn't appear any where on car as number taken from engine block was not correct.

I got the car from my father after I moved to Arkansas in 2000 and it was titled in Arkansas until 2002.  Gal at the DMV in Arkansas switched the serial number with the title number, and the State of Arkansas caught it and acted like it was my fault.  I eventually got that straightened out too with a stack of paperwork.  I moved back to Minnesota in 2002 and it was titled in my name in Minnesota until 2009.  It has been titled in Missouri, Kansas, and Iowa all under my name.  When I got new Minnesota tags in 2015, the new title had my father's name on it even though he hadn't owned the car for over 15 years, and the most recent Minnesota title had been in my name.  I got it fixed, but there are no limits to the stupidity of bureaucrats.