east Coast Snowed in - Valley Forge PA

desoto1939

Hope everyone is safe and sound here on the east coast.  We have been hit hard by a major snow storm.  I live outside of Philadelphia, PA near Valley forge National Park.

We had had over 18 inches of snow and it is still snowing.

Have plowed the driveway once this morning and it is covered again. Will continue to snow until Sunday so some major dig out will be happening.

Do not go out a drive it is not safe to be on the road because  of white out conditions.

Rich Hartung

If it will cheer you guys up a bit, I'll be driving my Plymouth today, might have to put on a sweatshirt though, it's down in the 60's here....brrrrrrr. Lucky for us, winter only lasts a couple days. If I want snow, it's less than a 2 hour drive, the beach, 10 minutes.

• Like 1

I wish everyone would heed the warnings posted here....but I'm sure there will be a lot of vehicle accidents published in tomorrows newspaper. :mad: My philosophy is: stay home during the storm, peruse the forum, have another hot cup of coffee, and let the snowplow drivers do their job.  :D

Wayne

Snow and cold in the US, mostly means warm and no snow in W-Europe. We've had our little bit last week, only 1 week of freezing here. +15C! in December, now going to +10C in The Netherlands.

We could use a bit of frost and snow here, will keep the bugs away in the summer :). Keep warm and I hope it doesn't flood your home when is all starts to melt.

Nebraska '49 blizzard, I think it was called the blizzard of the century. We were in the heart of the storm,70 mph winds for nearly 60 hours with tons of snow. The wins was constant for three days and two nights. All windows were like milk, zero visibility. We did not leave the ranch for four weeks. The spring melt was almost as bad as the blizzard. I was 11 years old.

We had lots of fun on the drifts. That one drift was 18' high, was one of many. Side bar, a drift is very hard because it was wind packed, hard as concrete.

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

Not a cloud in the sky the past three days here in northern Maine.  I imagine we'll make up for it by the end of winter, I'd be disappointed if we didn't.  I do have to fly to D.C. for a connecting flight to New Orleans tomorrow, tho.  Still looks like a go, saving grace is that most of the people attending the meeting I'm going to are from D.C in the first place, so if I don't make it, neither do they.

Tim, the government way is never the least expensive nor the most reasonable way. Which is why so many in the per primary polls are not polling for incumbents! This post may cause Me a second 30 day sanction! ! !

pflaming, on 24 Jan 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Tim, the government way is never the least expensive nor the most reasonable way. Which is why so many in the per primary polls are not polling for incumbents! This post may cause Me a second 30 day sanction! ! !

PP, in none of the previous post on travel did I see/say the govn't was the functioning entity...only that someone made the call to fly majority to a distance loaction

Most of the attendees are not from DC, but our HQ component personnel, of course, are, and they're the ones running the show.  I'm the only one out of 20 from "the field" that has to go through an east coast connection to get anywhere, this time it was DC.  BUT - the meeting has been postponed.  Not only can our HQ folks not fly out, they can't even get to the airport, or out of their neighborhoods for that matter.  Federal Govt. in DC will be closed tomorrow.  The fellow I was talking to lives in Manassas, they've got 35 inches on the ground, said its doubtful DC will be open for business Tuesday, too.   I just hope everyone plays it safe, heed warnings, stay off the roads, etc. 

Nobody here is interested in anyone else's view on how the government does or does not work.