Turn signal switch options - what alternatives are there?

Thomba48

As we do need a turn signal switch here in Germany (as well as a hazard light)  I did a very brief search session and stumbled across the usual ones:

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reidsrodparts.com%2Fimages%2FA5007.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reidsrodparts.com%2FELEC1.html&h=815&w=2126&tbnid=ddl9dLMYBj-8iM%3A&zoom=1&docid=bIbqKKDPLuAJgM&ei=x7OBVLutD8usPJmPgNAH&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1819&page=1&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=0CC8QrQMwBQ

Then in the end I found this offering: http://www.turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm. Amazing features, but unbelievably and amazingly expensive.

Does anyone happen to know of an "in-between" solution: So in-between being totally dumb as the standard and the above "ipad" solution (in price terms)? Especially the self-canceling aspect (and the looks) would be interesting add-on benefits.

Thanks

Edited by Thomba48

the expensive one helps to rule out false signaling after the turn by canceling as I read through a normal time process that is terminated quicker by  brake light interrupter ....and it comes complete with pay to play technology...the lesser model is not self canceling is dependent totally on human intervention in operation..

that is a start in the right direction..don't hold your breath though....ever notice that police squad cars don't come with turn signals...guess they need to save the space/weight for other critical things like coffee cups and donuts...no offense to LEO's here..just making an observation.... :lol:

Plymouthy Adams, on 05 Dec 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

that is a start in the right direction..don't hold your breath though....ever notice that police squad cars don't come with turn signals...guess they need to save the space/weight for other critical things like coffee cups and donuts...no offense to LEO's here..just making an observation.... :lol:

Most of them are not equipped with seat belts also.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Rather different over here. Sometimes it feels like the police is driving better cars (merc, bwm) than the normal people do :-)

So coming back to the actual topic - is there self-canceling solution besides the bentley alternative that I came accross?

Thomba48, on 05 Dec 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:Thomba48, on 05 Dec 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Ha. Ha. Ha. Rather different over here. Sometimes it feels like the police is driving better cars (merc, bwm) than the normal people do :-)

So coming back to the actual topic - is there self-canceling solution besides the bentley alternative that I came accross?

yes..there are actual factory models you can pick up on the e-bay but they are not a daily occurrence and you will need the associated press on cancelling ring from the donor car steering wheel or entire wheel....you will have to be diligent in your search it may take some time to find.....meanwhile the lesser priced unit will serve you till you find a factory set up...as a side note for a gentle reminder one can hook up an alarm be it an audible beeper or buzzer to remind you that you need to quickly make your turn and shut that annoying sound off...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

What model car are you looking for?

PP, Thomba is in Germany..their highway rules and such are a bit more strict than most American states..they are also very limited to what they can or cannot modify to a body/chassis unlike here also...they have to adhere to a stricter set of rules in many areas we consider here as govn't infringement

Thanks for adding this point. Yes, we are a country of rules. And the bizarre thing is: We do not see them as infringements. Well, maybe we are simply just authority junkies :-)

A final question to the beeper solution: I can obviously imagine an appropriate set-up for this, but how does your (in the sense of "you") set-up look like?

Trust me - order we have. Ordered our life is, sometimes to an extent that stops people form intrinsic self-activation (e.g. when it comes to social welfare matters).

Now coming back to the car issue:

The car will have to adapted to certain regulations in regard to a) signal switch is required. So is a hazardous light. B) the colour of the bulps have to be changed. c) the combination of using the break light also as the indicator light can occassionaly be refused c) hood ornaments are not liked, but mostly accepted d) the size of the registration plate is defined (in most cases far too big for a classic US car) e) the break system needs light adjustments f) the horn has to work g) it all has to be checked and then approved by a state approved organisation h) this approval needs to be renewed (and therefore the check-up) every two years etc. etc. etc. 

Edited by Thomba48

as a certified and licensed state safety inspector for automobiles years ago those rules were quite rigid in some areas and also well spelled out.  While we had much leeway here in the states for alteration of cars to a degree the safety items were address unilaterally across the board.  We were however allow to license some cars for daylight use in regard to lighting issues, glazing was also a big failing factor....and in regard to YOM those items that were safety after building date WERE not required on that vehicle...same still applies in many areas today.  Even if the car was equipped with turn signal and they did not hve to work....however, the driver's window must be tested for proper operation for driver to exhibit hand signals for their intended path on the highway..if turn signal and window inop..then car fails..will not be permitted to be on the highway..exhaust was a very very touchy subject and was often the leading cause for some of the younger set to not get a safety validation sticker..scavengers were in and big with the street scene..definite automatic fail..I believe I failed more cars on exhaust than any other single item during my may years with the license...I held my inspector license for about 14 years as I would often work part time of the evening at the local garage.

I can also remember when if you had a lot of rust out on a car it would also fail. To beat this guys would pop rivet sheet metal to the affected area.  ALso broken taillight lens were a no no. now I seen cars with broken lens and red tape glued to the lens.

The other big issue is with over sized tire extending out beyounf the wheel well opening onthe fenders.   Some tried to put the rubber glue on wheel well cover to get the tire to be inside the opening.

Some inspecter are catching this bout others are not.

Also we did headlight inspection to see that the lights were aimed correctly.  See an awful lot of cars with the headlight out of focus.  ANd now that we have yearly and in some states 2 - 3 year span this is a major concern. 

In PA our antique cars do not have to be inspected. The  inspection is up to the owners responsibiity.  This could be good or realbad and depends on how good of an owner you have and if they maintainthe car or not.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

in many states there is no longer a state sponsored inspection program..they instead defer tot he police to monitor and catch these infraction on a daily patrol status..we all know this is not going to fly..oh they may catch an obvious bad lens, inop light but that is about as deep as they get...the DOT regulates lighting and to that end the law is pretty much nationwide on I do not recall any mention that tape on a lens is legal..actually they say it is not...some cars I see on the road should not be there for most obvious reason and I am amazed that the police let them slide...any infraction on safety related device is open for an in depth inspection once pulled over...

Here cars get inspected for air pollution and that's it. (Unless you have a "special construction" vehicle.)

Cars older than 30 years are not inspected at all. We have no inspection stickers.

Lots of cars are running around with taped lights and cracked glass & all sorts of other defects.

BUT this gives the cops all kinds of excuses to stop suspicious people to check them out. ;)

Yeah, not exactly in the spirit of our legal system, but sometimes you just do what works.

Almost all accidents are not due to mechanical issues anyhow, but fatigue, inattention/distraction, drinking, bad weather, or operator error.

This is as true here as in states with rigid inspections. We do have more mechanical failure related accidents, but as a percentage of the whole they rate as trivial.