Show Your Dash Board Mods

hotrodbob

Here is one for you.

GA6.jpg

Ah, George Asche's 1929 Desoto...never had the pleasure of meeting George in person or riding in his car. Sold me my overdrive and spent some time on the phone with him. He is a legend.

I love that dash picture of George's car.  Every now and then I look at it closely to try and tell what he's placed

on there .... but who knows what the real function of any knob is (except for him)?

I've seen many dash re-do's on hotrod/streedrod P15s which, in my opinion, took away the beauty of the

original dash.  The best looking modifications retained most or all of the original features and worked the

changes into them.  

Here's one example of not good changes (imho) from a car on ebay..........

B3B9D6CE-819B-4321-B7DA-A9AF5FC09DC4_8.j

d4gb.jpg

Here is a custom digital dash insert I designed and had made for my 48 Ply coupe. It is sitting in the original dash cluster housing,and everything in it fits behind and shows in the "windows" of the original bezel.

Nothing shows when the switch is off. Looks like a polished black stone when the switch is off,and things like the turn signals,high beam indicator,low gas,low oil pressure,low gas,temp hot,and lock up converter gauge don't show until it is being used.

Speed is show in both bar and numbers.

I nornally hate digital gauges,but I got looking at a bezel one day and it struck me as the perfect place to use digital gauges. In my mind,anyhow.

• Like 3

d4gb.jpg

Here is a custom digital dash insert I designed and had made for my 48 Ply coupe. It is sitting in the original dash cluster housing,and everything in it fits behind and shows in the "windows" of the original bezel.

Nothing shows when the switch is off. Looks like a polished black stone when the switch is off,and things like the turn signals,high beam indicator,low gas,low oil pressure,low gas,temp hot,and lock up converter gauge don't show until it is being used.

Speed is show in both bar and numbers.

I nornally hate digital gauges,but I got looking at a bezel one day and it struck me as the perfect place to use digital gauges. In my mind,anyhow.

That looks good. Who made it up ? Are they reasonable?

Not to highjack Bob's question to knuckleharley, or the answer,.....I saw a pretty nice retro fit of Dakota Digital gauges in a 42 Studebaker.  The rectangular windows for fuel, amps, temp., and oil were about the same as those on our P-15s.  He kept his original speedo with the digitals, two on each side.  I'll try for a pic this weekend.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIP4.jpg

1951 Plymouth Suburban...one of 3 major dash changes..shown in unfinished bezel

Subtle. I like it.

That looks good. Who made it up ? Are they reasonable?

I had it custom made by a company called VEI systems.

As for reasonable,I have no idea how to judge "reasonable" when it comes to one-off custom work. Especially with electronic digitial stuff,which I consider to be magic. I do know I paid right at 600 bucks for it 6 years ago.

Trivia question,......What's the origin of the phrase "dash board"?.  Pretty sure I know.  Others?  Has anyone seen one?

Horse and carriage days: The board between you and the horses that keeps stuff from being dashed up on you.

Looked at their website... http://www.veisystems.com/products.html and wow.. I'll check them out. Thanks

Bob,I can tell you this about them,they are very easy to deal with,and they do what they tell you they will do.

• Like 2

Within a few hours I had this reply:

Hi Bob,

We don't have an off-the-shelf cluster for this, but most everything 
we do is custom anyway.  With some pics of your cluster, we can come 
up with some layout ideas, ballpark pricing, etc.  If all seems fine 
up to that pointt, hen you would send us the cluster and we'll do a 
formal design and confirm the price, etc.  Typically this takes 4-5 
weeks for the whole process.

All we would need as a starting point is some pics of your stock 
cluster and some ballpark dimensions.  If you hold a ruler or tape in 
front of the cluster that should be enough.

Cheers,
-Neil.

I'm liking these guys already!

Horse and carriage days: The board between you and the horses that keeps stuff from being dashed up on you.

That was my answer.  Only diiff., for what it's worth, I heard the dash board protected the passengers when the horse was galloping,...."dashing"....but that's really pickin fly specs outta the pepper huh!   :P

Did no one else now that or was I off topic enough that no one responded.  :o

Anyway I owe ya'll some pics.  :rolleyes:

Edited by mrwrstory

My 1955 Fargo dash, hand carved Hula Girl, Vintage steering knob, modern GPS, tacky dash plaques, fuzzy dice(Coatney endorsed), early 1980s AM/FM Cassette player. SunPro tach, not exactly to my liking, but heck it was free. I would render this a bit of a yahoo dash................LOL

post-107-0-08351500-1373151071_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

No dice, these are the only fuzzies I endorse.

boobs1.jpg

Don, I got a pair of those as a retirement gift, but the wife won't let me put them up when we go to cruise nights (afraid kids will see them). So, I hang a small pair of baby saddle shoes that my grandson wore as a baby. Around here, steering wheel spinners and anything hanging from the mirror is illegal (obstructed vision). Although a lot of people do it.