Cowl Vent Gasket

Where did you get your gasket? I just replaced mine with one from AMS Obsolete (formerly Mitchel Motor Parts). My previous one was a little small and I had to stretch it when I put it in. It wouldn't stay in place. One side or the other would pull out and I got tired of gluing it back in.

When you glue it in, have plenty of small clamps ready to hold it in place while the glue sets.

Merle

What I did with mine was remove the vent.  Cleaned and painted the trough and then used Dow 1357 adhesive in the trough.  As I worked the seal in the groove, I put a clothespin every couple of inches.  When I had been all the way around I filled in all the gaps that I could with additional  clothespins and let it sit for a day or so.  That was probably 10 yrs ago, and the gasket has never leaked or come loose.   Mike

• Like 1

I was going to just weld mine up and body work it, but my wife likes the idea of "free a/c" too much... 

Mine was a family work truck, I'm still scraping cow manure off the frame, and the last time a cow was in the bed was 1973 or 1974. In western WA, with the rain the truck saw, I'm not surprised my grandfather (trucks original owner) caulked it shut. It also had asbestos house shingles on the cab floor to cut heat/vibration intrusions. Blow foam in the kick panel pockets, 3/4 ton spring packs (7/8 front rear), panel truck bumper with hitch (all welded, including the trailer ball), extra lights on welded brackets...

They are trucks after all. Function before form when they were new and in service as working trucks.

Sure would be good to let us see a nice current picture of the truck Scruffy.

Bob

As soon as I find the camera cord.

No front sheet metal, no bed floor, bed sagging since the angles have all rotted away, half the rear lights/brackets are off, driver door won't close... Looks like a junkyard reject at the moment.

It does have tinted glass, wonder when he changed that out, the rear is a funky "blurple", side glass and windshield halves are a gray/blue.

At least the running boards are near perfect. I hate banging dents out of those.

ok...solenoid operated maybe?

for the record...if entertaining the electric kits offered online and catalog...I suggest you look real close at some of the rod style electric units...major retailer I got mine from,very cheesy in this man's opinion..took it back for refund

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

ok...solenoid operated maybe?

for the record...if entertaining the electric kits offered online and catalog...I suggest you look real close at some of the rod style electric units...major retailer I got mine from,very cheesy in this man's opinion..took it back for refund

Why wonder why they are built cheesy?? They were disigned to be used on throw away Fords!!!

Edited by DJ194950

Guys,

Any expertise on how to replace the cowl vent gasket? I have the vent out, looking right at the hole, new gasket is smaller than the hole.

yes, i have experience.

first, review some of the older threads concerning "cowl vent rubber" or "cowl vent gaskets", especially circa 2008.

it is pretty well documented that the standard "fit" gaskets are short. i used rtv blue, clamps and clothespins to install mine. it works. it has been installed since 2008 and does not leak, even while driving in the rain.

there are several threads that describe the different methods used by several members to install the gasket. i know that mine works. the truck is not garaged, i drive it year round, and it hasn't leaked at the vent for 5 years. you could try someone else's method, and it may work, too. you don't have to return the "short" gasket. it can work, and it isn't a tough job. use RTV to seat the gasket in the trough. i won't vouch for any other adhesive.

wally

I actually coudl lay mine in perfect and snugged it down with the vent cover itself....but since FEF hasn't seen water...no idea if it leaks!  :eek:

I actually coudl lay mine in perfect and snugged it down with the vent cover itself....but since FEF hasn't seen water...no idea if it leaks!  :eek:

thats like a tootsie pop-the world may never know.......