CL Unusual paint idea

pflaming

kxpcg-3363582518@sale.craigslist.org [Errors

I guess the buyer can always repaint it.

1950 fleetline - $10500 (visalia)

Edit: I don't know how to redirect a CL item. Sorry, Merle, always something to learn.

Edited by pflaming

The technique is actually very simple. Getting clean, clear images over the whole panel isn't. Common lace or lace tablecloth is streched over a base color and then sprayed with an offsetting color. Lace is then lifted off, edges are often shadowed and clear applied over it. The difficulty is the spray gun likes to lift the lace and you get fuzzy images. I blacked out the hood on my Candy apple red 65 Mustang back in "71 that way. I don't recall if I sprayed the red on or my dad did. I do remember him not saying a word about doing some of the painting and mechanical projects I or my brothers attempted back then.

The problem with stretching it on tacky clear is the time it takes. Tacky clear goes to dry fairly fast and then you have the lace embedded. If you did get it laid on and sprayed, you'd again have to remove the lace before it set with a really good chance of smearing the images as it was removed. I've only laced a panel one time and that was with an old siphon gun that operated under high pressure. It may be easier with the newer HVLP guns. I've got a project sitting in storage that will get laced, marbelized, and ribboned and maybe throw some raindrops in for good measure.

Helped a former neighbor one time with a lace job. Only ran roughly 12 psi. Came out alright but what a nightmare to clear.

That Fleetline is actually a really good starting point. Lace on the roof and decklid, other patterns on other panels is very traditional for lowrider "bombers" done in the 70s and early 80s. If he was working on a period piece, he's over 1/3 of the way there with the paint. The bland interior.... not so much, but it is fixable.

$10,500... he'll be close if not right on. High demand car in certain circles.