My Car Insurance Frustration

Chester Brzostowski

As stated in a previous post I tried to obtain insurance from J.C. Taylor. Unfortunately they will only insure your Antique Vehicle if you only drive it in parades or a formal car show event. If you drive your car on a weekend to meet with a friend for breakfast it isn’t covered. OK I guess if you want to sit in the garage and look at it they are happy to take your money.

Next

My Grundy Customer Service Experience:

This is the letter I sent to their marketing department after a day of trying to complete an insurance application.

I have been trying to get a quote for Antique car insurance for the better part of today.

Your Web site let me fill out the application then your advertising covered the next button so I couldn’t submit it. See attached JPG file.

I called earlier in the day but gave up since I was on hold for an inordinate amount of time.

I called after hours and your recording told me that if I wanted to leave a message to press “Next Now” are you kidding me.., how do I press “Next” when my phone only allows numbers from 0-9 ??????

Is this how you treat claims ???? Good Luck

If you are interested in my business call me at 571-xxx-xxxx

Chester Brzostowski

I am completely frustrated. Well maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Chet…

Chet I've been using Hagerty. I've never had a claim but they have been very easy to give my money to. I also pay a little extra per year for road side assistance.

Ed,

That is the long and the short of it. Everyone wants your money but are they there when you need them. From what people have posted the answer is yes, but at this point I am not impressed.

Chet...

I've had Hagerty for years. They allow for occasional pleasure driving which would include your trip to breakfast, Several years ago a girl on a cell phone rear ended my P-15 coupe with her Pontiac. Hagerty was very easy to deal with, I took it to the body shop of my choice, and they sent a check for the full estimate within a week.

A friend of mine had his Corvette in an accident and after it was painted the body shop found some things that needed repair that weren't on the original estimate and Hagerty paid for them too.

So i'm happy with Hagerty after trying JC taylor and Grundy. JohnS

I have both my Plymouths insured through American Family. As special use autos I can drive them any time, they are covered with the regular terms of my policy on the daily drivers and are insured to the appraised value. Each costs me about $20-25 per month in the driving season and about $10 each per month in the winter.

I've used Condon and Skelly for years. They use to require you report how many miles you drove every year when you paid you premium. They stopped doing that some years ago. I used to bank extra miles by adding to my annual total. Sort of like having two sets of books. Got to be a hassle keeping track.

I just looked at their WEB site(http://www.condonskelly.com/ ), and you can drive your car any time you like.

2. How many miles can I drive my car each year?

As many miles as you like! We want you to have fun with your best friend, not limit your mileage. As long as your collectible vehicle isn’t your primary car, you’re covered for leisure use. So go ahead, show off your ride at club events and car shows. And by all means, drive it around town on a sunny day and even to dinner every so often. Your baby will love being taken for a spin

I've always had Condon & Skelly. I initially went with them because they allowed up to 2,500 miles of leisure driving, and everyone else thought our cars were just for decoration - that's when we had to report mileage every year. No problems with "agreed upon" value of my cars, either. Same thoughts from me, never had a claim to gauge their service, but they sure are happy to take my money.

A friend of mine has Hagerty, he backed his 68 GTO into stuff in his garage, and he had absolutely no problems getting it fixed. I don't know if he has a mileage limit, but he drives the car a lot.

i use state farm..very good.

i believe the miles driven includes..........

to car club events and parades.

also includes, club meetings, and outings.

also includes going for parts.

i usually have a broken part somewhere in the trunk..!!

usually you gosomeplace with another car friend...belong to a car club, lots of reasons to drive.

bill

Thanks for all the input.

I guess my email worked because I got a call from Grundy first thing this morning. They are checking into the web site as well as their after-hours phone message.

Well anyway, they provide no mileage limitation. Their sales rep told me that I could drive the car cross country to attend a car event or I could drive the car every day for pleasure as long as I wasn’t using it as a primary vehicle.

Sounds good to me and the price is less then I pay GEICO for only liability coverage.

Chet…

If I remember correctly your licensed teenage drivers are not permitted to driver our antique cars. Most of the antique policies require that the driver be at least 25 years old to driver your antique car even if they are a family member.

Check your policies.

Rich Hartung

If I remember correctly your licensed teenage drivers are not permitted to driver our antique cars. Most of the antique policies require that the driver be at least 25 years old to driver your antique car even if they are a family member.

Check your policies.

Rich Hartung

That is correct in most cases. Hagerty has a bit lower age limit of 21 years old.

I have had State Farm for the last 10 years, I was 17 when I first insured the 1930 in my name. They have been pretty good with understanding that my '40 is my daily driver as I usually clock about 10K miles a year on her. I have an agreed value policy on all 3 vintage cars and the only thing they required was either receipts or an appraisal. However I have learned after the last three accidents that were not my fault that I will only submit the highest 3 estimates for repairs to State Farm. The last accident I totaled a '03 corolla out with the '40 and I had an estimate for $200, $700, $800, $1,200 and $1,700 to repair the scratches in my fender. I of course submitted them the lower 3 and asked that it be repaired at the $700 shop. State Farm called the $700 shop and talked them into fixing the car for $208, saving the green lizard $500. It wouldn’t have bothered me too much except that I was planning on doing the work myself and adding the proceeds to my car funds.....

For what its worth Chet, I've got Grundy covering my car. Thankfully I havent had reason to use it. I did get the agreed value coverage and this year I upped the coverage to $10k from $5k. Policy increase was minimal.