Oil Bath Cleaner Mystery

meadowbrook

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone here experienced this issue.

When I check my car's oil bath air cleaner, I fill it with 50 weight oil to the stamped 'fill line'.

As soon as I start the car, I get a puff of oil smoke and then when I check the cleaner oil level, it is below the fill line. So I refill.

Another puff of smoke and again a low air cleaner oil level.

What gives? :confused:

Is the oil fill line a manufaturing defect?

• 1 year later...

File this one under "Newbie/Rookie" mistake" or a Homer Simpson "Doh!" meadowbrook.

After using a chisel rod to help get a stuck water distribution tube out, replacing the tube & putting it all back together. This happened.

[/url]">http://http://s863.photobucket.com/user/Tones52/media/52%20Plymouth%20for%20Poppa/SmokingPlymie_zps8b146bd2.jpg.html'>SmokingPlymie_zps8b146bd2.jpg

I thought I ruined my engine. But as it turns out, I found out what the problem was. I had filled my very low oil bath filter with 50 wt oil when putting things together and didn't notice the round seal/gasket inside of it had a good sized crack in it.

I've tried searching the forum and the Bernbaum site for a replacement gasket/seal source but came up empty. My local "old school" auto parts store also didn't have something I could use. Any help in directing me to a replacement gasket/seal for the inside of the oil bath filter would be greatly appreciated.

The gasket that sits on the carb is a round tapered one. It's in OK shape but if there's a source for that one that would be great, too.

Thanks

Tony

Easiest thing to do is modify to a paper filter. Cut the top, pull the stuffings, paper filter, put top back, only you will know it is not oil bath.

Edit: forgot to add pic

post-80-0-20438000-1380991957_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Between the local hardware store and the local auto supply store I've usually been able to come up with suitable sheet stock for making my own gaskets. Seems like it would not be too hard to create what I assume to be a washer shaped gasket of the appropriate inside and outside diameters.

• Like 2

Carb top gasket is an easy item. As Tod said sheet gasket at the parts store.

I cut my own. Conforms well to the top of the carb.

Edit: 1st pic, old one for pattern. 2nd pic, new gasket

post-80-0-90701000-1380993497_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-02308000-1380993514_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48
  • Like 3

Stop refilling it. The level is not critical since the air does not go through the oil, so the oil can be a bit lower than factory spec with no negative effect on its performance.    The air path takes a 180 degree turn and the heavier than air stuff can;t make the turn and falls into the oil.  The oil's job it to retain what falls into it.

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The photos were a big help, too.

I'm attaching a photo of my air cleaner. If I come across another one, I'll convert it to a paper or KN filter set up to have as a spare. In my search I did find a thread on that.

Before I saw the other responses, I did hit NAPA, Lowes and then Pep Boys.

At my last stop they had a GM V8 thermostat gasket which I think will work on the inside of the filter. It's not quite as wide or as thick as the old one. I did SuperGlue the old gasket and I'll use it on top of the one I got from Pep Boys.

Per greg g's suggestion, I'll keep the level of the oil lower this time and pick up some gasket material the next time I go to the parts store as Tod and shel_bizzy had suggested for the top of the carb gasket.

I'm just so excited to get the Plymouth running again after the water distribution tube drama.

Thanks again for your help.

Tony

post-5954-0-08726700-1381014185_thumb.jpg

post-5954-0-64343400-1381014264_thumb.jpg

Hi guys.

The posts here seem to imply there are 2 gaskets? I can only think of the 1 between the carb and cleaner assembly.

And while on that topic, I noticed that after running my engine with the air cleaner full of oil, the carb body gets all oily, as if the oil is leaking and coating the carb. I can clean the carb, but it gets oily again.

Any thoughts? I replaced the carb to cleaner gasket and still get the problem. How does that oil get to the carb? It just sits inside the cleaner. I can see no path for it to leave the cleaner except by being sucked into the carb and somehow make it through the carb to cleaner gasket. And if it does that, why is it see no smok from the tailpipe and the oil level in the cleaner does not seem to drop?

Some air cleaners apparently are different. I see no gasket inside on any that I have looked at. (see post below)

Is this a new problem?

Carb to cleaner gasket is just there to keep it from rattling and eliminate metal to metal contact carb to air cleaner clamp.

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Hi guys.

The posts here seem to imply there are 2 gaskets? I can only think of the 1 between the carb and cleaner assembly.

And while on that topic, I noticed that after running my engine with the air cleaner full of oil, the carb body gets all oily, as if the oil is leaking and coating the carb. I can clean the carb, but it gets oily again.

Any thoughts? I replaced the carb to cleaner gasket and still get the problem. How does that oil get to the carb? It just sits inside the cleaner. I can see no path for it to leave the cleaner except by being sucked into the carb and somehow make it through the carb to cleaner gasket. And if it does that, why is it see no smok from the tailpipe and the oil level in the cleaner does not seem to drop?

I would do a check to see if you have a pinhole leak of some sort in the reservoir..remove from the carb, clean well..place on table with dry paper towel and let stand..see if it spots...when running it is likely that the draft of the air in the carb throat while at speed is drawing oil through a hole somewhere near the base of the filter and drawing oil..would explain the continued oil loss and the messy carb..once the car is off the drip would go to the car as the draft to intake is no longer applied

Some air cleaners apparently are different. I see no gasket inside on any that I have looked at.

I have now seen my first, ....................second gasket.

I found this one located in a nasty old air cleaner.

Cork. Was sitting atop the base, big as life.

Broke when I attempted to remove it.

So..............   certainly could be the answer.

post-80-0-79033000-1381071084_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-36256400-1381071102_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi meadowbrook,

Is your air cleaner a two piece model?

Here's a photo of my air cleaner open. The flat round rubber gasket that was in mine was placed at the base and when clamping down the top piece it helped seal it so that oil doesn't get sucked in. If you don't have the pinhole leaks that Plymouthy Adams suggested to check for, maybe try a GM thermostat gasket like I picked up and a lesser amount of oil as greg g suggested.

And thanks for posting your thread 'cause it really helped me get mine figured out.

Tony

post-5954-0-58147800-1381071417_thumb.jpg

Wow, I did not know there was supposed to be a gasket between the cleaner's lower and upper assemblies, it is gone in mine, just metal to metal. Hmmm.

Love this forum! :wub:

By the way, I live in Southeast MI near Ann Arbor, if anyone needs the use of a hoist, I have one and am willing to help folks here who may need to 'borrow' it.

I appreciate it more and more the older and creakier I get. ;)

Hi greg g,

Not sure if your message was intended for meadowbrook but in my case, I used a spare nut (no relation :P ) as a spacer on my air filter bracket for the time being. The air filter seems to be nice and level now.

With the Plymouth running at appropriate engine temps & no oil getting into the carb (thanks on that tip),  I want to get the timing and carb adjustments sorted. For that I'm hoping to borrow and vacuum gauge and timing light as well as look up all the tune up info from my manuals and the forum. My MPGs are still not very good.

But I will get to moving that bracket to the correct location . . . someday

Tony

post-5954-0-50229000-1381249814_thumb.jpg

I think I've just been putting 30 weight or maybe 10w-40 as used in the car in the air cleaner.  Guess it must work OK as I've had

the car for a long time....and can't think of any problems.   Have even used the cleaner without the support brace....it didn't go 

anywhere.    As I recall, the lower end of the brace goes in behind the frontmost bolt and flange that attaches the oil filter.

08a4d088.jpg

Another underhood/under dash item that comes to mind is the drain tube from the bottom of the cowl vent,

out thru a hole in the firewall.  If you look at the above picture, you'll see a clear plastic tube that I use for

that purpose.     It should really be black rubber, but I used something I had handy.    I think there is a loop

type clamp a ways down to hold it to the firewall. 

I only have the gasket that sits on the carburetor between the air filter. I know one time, I forgot to put it back on. When I put the air cleaner on it was loose and shook. My car has the tall air filter. I know some have shorter ones. 

If you don't have the gasket on the carburetor and your air filter is shaking it is possible for the oil is splashing around and getting sucked into the engine. Even 50w oil thins out when the engine gets get's hot. 

• 2 months later...

Easiest thing to do is modify to a paper filter. Cut the top, pull the stuffings, paper filter, put top back, only you will know it is not oil bath.

Edit: forgot to add pic

What paper filter do you use and where do you get it. I have a 49 New yorker with the L8 motor I want to mod the oil bath and get a plain air filter working instead.

I did as shel-ny noted. I removed the rusted out screen etc. and all inner whatever. Then I took the shell to my parts store and we found a filter that was tight bottom to top when the top wing nut was about 2/3rd the way down. Only the 'hair dresser knows'. 

Edited by pflaming

What paper filter do you use and where do you get it. I have a 49 New yorker with the L8 motor I want to mod the oil bath and get a plain air filter working instead.

Your straight eight might make you sorry you went to a paper air filter as you accelerate up to speed!

Bob

When I first got my p15, I thought the engine was aspirating the oil from the air cleaner, but it turns out that I had microscopic holes in the air cleaner reservoir and the oil was slowly leaking out of into the interior of the air cleaner.  Not too long after that discovery I modified the air cleaner to accept a paper filter. It was an easy project and looked bone stock.  But last year I upgraded to dual carbs and built a custom dual cover for that application.