Sun Visors

goerge, got it, I'll update the model and forward it on you you. Let's take the technical detail off-line to e-mail so as to not bore everyone here.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't worry, I think we'll get this figured somehow, just give us time to come up w/ a quality product! :cool:

one qustion I have is this: obviously a complete unit would be best, but what would a casting alone do for everyone? Is that even enough of a solution?

It might be a big plus, especially if it fit more than just the Pilothouse. It may be the same casting for a WC series or for some of the cars of the era. If you're going to make it, make it right. No need for an "almost fits" or "almost right". There's enough of that on the market already.

This is the visor(whats left of it) in Dads 46 dodge. Looks like its the same as pilot houses with perhaps the exception of being chromed instead of painted.

46visor.jpg

goerge, got it, I'll update the model and forward it on you you. Let's take the technical detail off-line to e-mail so as to not bore everyone here.

It has always been my understanding that these forums exist to share technical information. Why would you want to take this off line?

The bantering, posting pictures of everytime anyone goes for a drive, joke telling, etc. in my opinion only fill in the blank space between hearing and learning technical information. I have been contacted many times off line by someone looking for technical information. I always suggest they post these guestions to the open forum so all can learn and contribute.

I gain nothing from a cnc oriented file and only some from a cad drawing so those are almost worthless to me and most likely anyone else who doesn't have access to a CNC. An old fashioned draft drawing I can understand. If they're constructing a small business venture out of this, I can understand keeping the development private. Those spring dimensions on the visor is good info for all as well as some of the other dimensions for anyone wanting to reproduce one themselves. Maybe it'll end up in the KNOWLEDGE section.

It might be a big plus, especially if it fit more than just the Pilothouse. It may be the same casting for a WC series or for some of the cars of the era. If you're going to make it, make it right. No need for an "almost fits" or "almost right". There's enough of that on the market already.

I've got it nailed down at this point to as close as I can measure with a caliper to what was in my '51 castingwise.

This is the visor(whats left of it) in Dads 46 dodge. Looks like its the same as pilot houses with perhaps the exception of being chromed instead of painted.

mine looks a little different than that. no indent between the two screws on the side.

Don, am sure that when these two get the details of the part worked out they will post back their findings...just sit back for a minute..will be more pictures to follow I am sure..

you are correct, no need to hash out small dims and design issues on the site. My goal is not secrecy, but to keep the forum from being mucked up over dimensions and pidly stuff. Spring size, etc definitly belongs here, but not all the crap that goes into the model.

I gain nothing from a cnc oriented file and only some from a cad drawing so those are almost worthless to me and most likely anyone else who doesn't have access to a CNC. An old fashioned draft drawing I can understand. If they're constructing a small business venture out of this, I can understand keeping the development private. Those spring dimensions on the visor is good info for all as well as some of the other dimensions for anyone wanting to reproduce one themselves. Maybe it'll end up in the KNOWLEDGE section.

yes, we've been discussing making a small venture out of this, not trying to be snobby. That's why I asked the question about how MUCH the average person would want supplied, full deal or parts and specs to do some work themselves.

Edited by ggdad1951

You mentioned the difference in Ed's visor. Now you need to now if there are differences in the Pilothouse years.

I hadn't noticed that difference myself but I went back and some of the original ones in the start of this thread have that indent and some dont.

It's also interesting of how many different staple layouts there were. May be indicative of different years of manufacture or different suppliers.

You mentioned the difference in Ed's visor. Now you need to now if there are differences in the Pilothouse years.

now be NICE! With an aluminum part one could ALWAYS whittle away some material! "Some assembly/modification req'd!" :D

For the differences, it'd be nice to know what and what years! Maybe only two different versions?

I'd gues sthe staples might be different from different vendors and/or operators on the stapler!

now be NICE! With an aluminum part one could ALWAYS whittle away some material! "Some assembly/modification req'd!" :D

Sounds like the typical reproduction manufacturer/supplier. :D

I don't know how they drive those weak little staples through steel. I've never managed it.

Sounds like the typical reproduction manufacturer/supplier. :D

I don't know how they drive those weak little staples through steel. I've never managed it.

One can do lots with powered equipment. I'm sure those staples were machine set, not hand set.

Edited by ggdad1951

I guess it's my turn to jump back in here? The dimensions we've been talking about were only to get the model close enough so we can make a first part. From there all the niggling little details will be worked out. We are currently working on details to create the arm as well as the mount. As well as attaching the arm and spring to the mount.

I believe all will be revealed in due time.

George

I guess it's my turn to jump back in here? The dimensions we've been talking about were only to get the model close enough so we can make a first part. From there all the niggling little details will be worked out. We are currently working on details to create the arm as well as the mount. As well as attaching the arm and spring to the mount.

I believe all will be revealed in due time.

George

did you get my e-mail?

I'll ask the question again:

if we supplied just the casting, would that suffice for you guys? Would the purchase of an old drivers side to rob the arm from work?

I would say that if the switch-out of the arm and spring from a drivers side visor knuckle to the passenger side visor knuckle is not overly complicated, then it would work for most. IMHO

George mentioned the end of the rod is bored and then peened over to hold the spring. That would be difficult to do if trying to switch driver to pass sides. Perhaps a different design rod that incorporated an E-clip to hold the spring on instead.

yah, the end of the rod is basically a large semi-tubular rivet...we're working on it.

I'd ask if anyone has different types and years of trucks to get me some pictures so we can tell how many models/years are the same as my '51 B-3-D. Might be able to make more than one version once we have it figured out to over more bases.

thanks!

IMO I gotta agree with Dave. Making the rod end e-clip seems at that point to make the rods interchangable or switchable from side to side and nobody would see it. I would be interested in getting the entire assembly, not just the base. 4 total cause I believe that it would fit the C series as well, will look tonite if the 53' base and arms fit the mount holes on the 54'. I believe I have a pass side buried in my parts bin from the 5 different trucks I have parted over the years, did get a nice original rear bumper:p. Little kids make our toys go pretty slow:D Can't wait till he's a little older to really help, he does enjoy the air tools though.

IMO I gotta agree with Dave. Making the rod end e-clip seems at that point to make the rods interchangable or switchable from side to side and nobody would see it. I would be interested in getting the entire assembly, not just the base. 4 total cause I believe that it would fit the C series as well, will look tonite if the 53' base and arms fit the mount holes on the 54'. I believe I have a pass side buried in my parts bin from the 5 different trucks I have parted over the years, did get a nice original rear bumper:p. Little kids make our toys go pretty slow:D Can't wait till he's a little older to really help, he does enjoy the air tools though.

yah, the e-clip is a good idea. You just might see it!