some progress...

52b3b Joe

All door glass and latch mechanisms are now in! No more holding the door closed with a bungee cord for going down the road  :eek: . The latch mechanisms went in smooth, but the windows were a real pain in the you know what...my dad and I really struggled on the passenger side with binding issues. It is still not right. I will have to look into it later. Tomorrow will hopefully be the door seals and another drive around the block. 

Holy cow! The door windows on my truck were a witch to adjust. I spent most of my day playing with them so they roll up and down without binding. There were a few choice words flying around the garage today...I'm sure some neighbors heard a bit...

So the windows are adjusted and I was able to get the door seals on the door and cab today. I ended up pulling out the drivers side latch mechanism to replace the spring that holds the interior handle in the locked and unlocked positions. I already did that to the passenger side (good thing I bought two) but the drivers sided decided to break upon installing apparently. I kept getting locked out when I closed the door because the weight of the interior handle would lock it. I think on Monday I will sand blast the bed cross-members and get them painted. If I still have time I will paint the wood hold down strips too. Then I'll be able to get the wood laid out on the frame. I will probably get the front bed panel closer to finishing too. 

I think you are a bit prejudice Dav..looks like your kind of blue.

Joe it's turning out to be a real good looking truck.

I really like it! 

Hank  :)

You might be right there Hank! I had the old blue truck 'Ernie' out for a drive today. I drove to a car show just over an hour to the north, and then returned home via the Mt Gravatt Lookout - about 10 kilometers south of Brisbane (Brisbane City in the distance to the right center of photo)...

I recall that my door windows were fiddly to get adjusted right Joe. Keep chipping away at the project mate as you are doing well.

Maybe you and I need to start a 'blue club' Joe?

post-3915-0-23072300-1364704895_thumb.jpg

You might be right there Hank! I had the old blue truck 'Ernie' out for a drive today. I drove to a car show just over an hour to the north, and then returned home via the Mt Gravatt Lookout - about 10 kilometers south of Brisbane (Brisbane City in the distance to the right center of photo)...

I recall that my door windows were fiddly to get adjusted right Joe. Keep chipping away at the project mate as you are doing well.

Maybe you and I need to start a 'blue club' Joe?

Hey, I'm in for starting a blue club! Need to keep those green ones out for sure :D . Might have to let red in though, because I'm taking a few bucks to an auction in a couple days to maybe buy (if no one else bids) a 1951 1 ton red with black bed. Its a barn find, and looks like it could use a little cleaning up, tune-up, brakes/tires and go. I few rust spots but not horrible. I am mainly going to just see in person how the bed mounts and the original interior that has a horizontal mounted radio in it (610-t maybe?). You never know, maybe I will get it...more than likely not though but I can at least get a good reference look for mine.

As far as work on my truck, I have have a few more items completed off the check list (interior stuff), I sent out the speedometer to get calibrated, and the stainless steel grill is in the hands of the experts (or so I hope). This weekend I'll get some body work on the bed completed. Times a tickin' till Summer!

Edited by 52b3b Joe

well you seem to have found FEF's brother then!  We can start a red club (and let orange YoungEd in :P)!

Yeah, I'd say twin! 

I'm not taking a lot of money, I don't have much to spend....but I'm at least going to try to get it! 

post-3516-0-96546900-1365101398_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say twin! 

I'm not taking a lot of money, I don't have much to spend....but I'm at least going to try to get it! 

scary!  Like an evil twin! 

There's still a large percentage of blue in there Paul !!!

Is that cattle guard factory on the truck that Joe was looking at? It does look similar to the one that AMS had listed for ages at around $450.

I know mopar offered them as an special equipment accessory, but I'm not sure if this is one or not. It looks different from the one in the catalog, but maybe they changed the style of them at some point? I'm guessing it is aftermarket. 

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/special_equipment/accessories/imgcol/index.htm

post-3516-0-01757400-1365165253_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I went to that auction on Saturday, and the truck brought in $1,850 in pretty darn rough condition. It was all there but it was rusty. The box was in good shape, it was a little wavy, but it did have the original floor in it. I pushed on the belt and turned the fan making it able to spin the engine over, it was loose. I didn't bid on it, too rich for my blood. Someone around my age bought it. I hope it gets restored like he said he plans on, but time will tell. I told him about the forum and to join! 

As far as work on my truck goes, I've been working on the front panel and the tailgate for the bed. Some may hate me, but after much thinking and no interest in my original unused tailgate for the wider boxes, I'm going for making it work on my 1/2 ton. I want a nice straight tailgate and this is the easiest and cheapest way. Also, you can by reproductions of this wider tailgate, so they are available. I'm cheating a little and instead of trying to to make nice lines with a cut off wheel, I am using the Bridgeport to machine the edges to make for a nice perfect line and for easier welding. So far I have one side cut off and machined. I have drilled out the rivets holding on the "latch" to remove it. I am doing one side start to finish at a time. Tonight I will try to get the side I started ready to tig weld later this week. I really don't think anyone will be able to tell when I'm done. The only noticeable part will be the center hinge in the tailgate not used on the 1/2 tons. 

post-3516-0-29890300-1365432676_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-80454100-1365432681_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-64819400-1365432688_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-51917100-1365432694_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-47220700-1365432704_thumb.jpg

I dont think anyones going to hate you. If you can make the gate work and it will save you some money then it sounds like a good idea to me. The trucks looking great by the way, cant wait to see the gate done.

-Chris

• 5 months later...

Well, after a while of not working on the truck, I think I have saved enough money to get this thing done! I started working on it again this past week. I have the bumpers done, and they look good enough for me. They were pretty beat up, dented, and twisted. I spent a day working them in my press getting them back, then I sandblasted them Friday and they got a good coat of epoxy primer, followed by a skim coat of filler to get imperfections out. From there two good coats of high build and sanding, with a sealer to end. Then two good coats of black. I bought a new paint gun, not a harbor freight special like I have always used, and I can tell you it was a GREAT investment. I wish I did that a long time ago to avoid so much frustration (as some of you may remember). The new gun is like night and day. 

post-3516-0-58398400-1379254612_thumb.jpg

• Like 1