Finding radials that are close to bias ply size ...

fedoragent

Folks,

I'm getting closer and closer to the time when I will be able to buy 4 new tires for the Plymouth. Currently I have on the wheels that I bought, bias ply 6.00 x 16. What would be the closest radial to that bias ply size? Also, I have 16 inch wheels now and are chomping at the bit to find radials that are thin enough to look like what would have come on the 47. Any input would also be welcome.

:)

Thanks again to Mackster for getting me back on the road.

Cheers,

FG.

Folks,

I'm getting closer and closer to the time when I will be able to buy 4 new tires for the Plymouth. Currently I have on the wheels that I bought, bias ply 6.00 x 16. What would be the closest radial to that bias ply size? Also, I have 16 inch wheels now and are chomping at the bit to find radials that are thin enough to look like what would have come on the 47. Any input would also be welcome.

:)

Thanks again to Mackster for getting me back on the road.

Cheers,

FG.

No problem buddy! Im sure we will be seeing alot more of each other now that we are both running! :)

BTW: we need to go get some food at a drive in!:)

My Chrysler 1941 -48 Shop Manual, indicates a tire size for my car a 1947 C38 as 6.50 X 15 or 6.00 X 18, and the 7 passenger C38 as 6.00 X 18, now what is this all about.

I would have thought my 47 Chrysler C38, would be either 6.70 or 7.10 X 15 tire sizes.

I want to buy new radials for my car enxt year, and have been considering using P 215 75 15, as opposed to the P 205 75 15 tires on it now. Any suggetions, my diff isa 3.73, my trans is a 3 spd standard without/fluid drive.......Fred

If i remember correctly a 6.00 16 tire is 29.1 inches in diameter. To keep thing equal speedo/odo wise and tire revolutions per mile, you need to keep that diameter in play.

Smaller (shorter tires) will make the tires turn more per mile, cause the speedo to read faster than actual speed, and make odo miles shorter than actual miles. Taller tires will have the opposit effect. Since most non truck 16 inch tires these days are the skate board tpe low profile deal, you most likely will ot find a similar diameter without going to a specifically made vintage style radial from Coker, lester or other suppliers specific to the old car hobby.

I am running 225 75 15 which are 28.3 inches in diameter a bit short and much wider than the stock skinny bias plies.

If i remember correctly a 6.00 16 tire is 29.1 inches in diameter. To keep thing equal speedo/odo wise and tire revolutions per mile, you need to keep that diameter in play.

Smaller (shorter tires) will make the tires turn more per mile, cause the speedo to read faster than actual speed, and make odo miles shorter than actual miles. Taller tires will have the opposit effect. Since most non truck 16 inch tires these days are the skate board tpe low profile deal, you most likely will ot find a similar diameter without going to a specifically made vintage style radial from Coker, lester or other suppliers specific to the old car hobby.

I am running 225 75 15 which are 28.3 inches in diameter a bit short and much wider than the stock skinny bias plies.

Hi Greg, I know what tire aspect does to create revs per mile, my ?is what the heck isa 6.00 X 18 tire, as listed fora 48 Chrysler, they also list a 6.50 X 15, which sounds a bit small fora 48 Chrysler

probably a wheel assembly that is optional for out of the way areas without unimproved roads...a mail carrier would have most likely had the need for the larger 18's for the added ground clearance it would provide..I learned through our late friend Norm Coupe about the "optional" wheels..they are not commonly referred to in some parts books spec sheets etc..but rest assured..you dig ..they be availabe with asssigned part number and application..

Could also be a listing for a commercial car, airport limo, long wheelbase, etc. I remember a 8 door checker that a guy had to run folks from the airport to downtown here. It had some really tall and skinny truck tires on it to handle the weight of passengers and their luggage in the trunk and on the roof rack. There were some strange permutations around. with a lot of differeent wheel/tire options. Chrysler and desoto were in this market with similar cars.

B8296.jpg

Could also be a listing for a commercial car, airport limo, long wheelbase, etc. I remember a 8 door checker that a guy had to run folks from the airport to downtown here. It had some really tall and skinny truck tires on it to handle the weight of passengers and their luggage in the trunk and on the roof rack. There were some strange permutations around. with a lot of differeent wheel/tire options. Chrysler and desoto were in this market with similar cars.

B8296.jpg

I remember that Checker!

The guy that ended up with it used to take his friends bar hopping in it. They said everyone's jaw in the bar would drop when the Checker pulled up out front and all the doors opened.

Folks,

One last thing before ending the weekend. When attempting to use normal modern radials, some people have told me that the tire rubber will bow out over the rim. Is this true? I have a 16" wheel, and I looked at 47Heaven's today and his radials DON'T bow out over the 15" wheel he has. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

For now, I'm going to run the Bias Plys that I have....and then we will see how that comes out. However, I'd like to see if it would be possible to run radials as they are perceived as safer.

Thanks,

FG.

I looked at the 16s on my 2006 Caravan. They are 215-65-R16.

I would think a 215-75-R16 (i guess they make that size) would be

a bit thinner. Or even a 205-75-16.

Found this Goodyear tire in 215-75 series. Link to page:http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/goodyear/size/bySize.do;jsessionid=T8fLM8KLLXB7hgDZK2vhQVyVjS66DqDlGsYb2kC4M72BGv7bkTRHGmK2LXHX540vN9135ykBYTV5qVgHRZQ8Wqpx0KCJMRwD2sNQWvykyLThTQwqhymTwvQp0n9j18x2!1403202449!1467341910?cs=215&ar=75&rd=16

gdyra6.l.jpg

Some tire places will recommend that the maximum width tire you should mount on 4.5 inch wide stock rims is a modern 205. If you look at a tire site on the web, like tire rack, there will be a recommended minimum witdh rim. Most of todays tires will not 5 inch or wider. My wheels are after market replacents which ar 5 inches wide. I have a pair of 205 75 on the front and a pair of 225 75 on the rear. Both probably would be happier on a wider rim but I have had not tire issues in nearly 10K miles.

A lot of folks are running radials on their stock mopar rims both 15 and 16 with no problems. But the 4.5 inch width might be a factor in mounting anything wider that 215's, maybe you could find some 80, or 85 aspect ratio tires (not likely). I remember from Volvos and Saabs and BMW's years back, that they ran things like 165. 175 and 185 15 radials with out the aspect ratio listed. I believe they were what was considered 90 aspect. Meaning the side wall height was 90% of the width.

Folks,

One last thing before ending the weekend. When attempting to use normal modern radials, some people have told me that the tire rubber will bow out over the rim. Is this true? I have a 16" wheel, and I looked at 47Heaven's today and his radials DON'T bow out over the 15" wheel he has. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

For now, I'm going to run the Bias Plys that I have....and then we will see how that comes out. However, I'd like to see if it would be possible to run radials as they are perceived as safer.

Thanks,

FG.

47heavens is the perfect style that you should follow! great set of radials!

47heavens is the perfect style that you should follow! great set of radials!

Actually, he has 15s...so that doesn't help me. But another member sent me a link to his blog and that cleared everything up. I'm going to run those Bias plys for a bit and then if I don't like the way they ride, I'll goto the Radials.

It's also driven by financial constraints.

FG.