The Great Hershey Road Trip begins...

bamfordsgarage

I don't know if Pennsylvania had that on the books or not back in the 1970s but I am glad to hear that at least some places have that now. A slow black vehicle with no lights can be very hard to see on a dark country road. And even if it was on the PA books back then, there were certainly carriages out there without even a reflector.

While law in Missouri, my wife told me that the Amish communities north of Trenton choose to ignore the law and drive with out reflectors or lights.

The Amish communities west of Trenton are more worldly and use cell phones, have flashers, lights, and even the younger guys have stereos in their buggies by way of a GM alternator connected to the axle and a 12v battery.

While law in Missouri, my wife told me that the Amish communities north of Trenton choose to ignore the law and drive with out reflectors or lights.

The Amish communities west of Trenton are more worldly and use cell phones, have flashers, lights, and even the younger guys have stereos in their buggies by way of a GM alternator connected to the axle and a 12v battery.

cant imagine the buggy going fast enough for the GM alternator to make any power,,,

cant imagine the buggy going fast enough for the GM alternator to make any power,,,

I may have overstepped my bounds on the GM alternator comment. I actually didn't know for sure, but that is what I was told. They have some method of charging a battery with a generator/alternator from the buggy's axle.

I may have overstepped my bounds on the GM alternator comment. I actually didn't know for sure, but that is what I was told. They have some method of charging a battery with a generator/alternator from the buggy's axle.

maybe using a bicycle lite genorator,, that i could see would work,,, did it when i was a kid i did that charging batteries for a C,B radio i had on my bike,,,things we do when were kids l ol

I suppose that with proper gearing or, if using belts appropriate pulley sizes, you could turn the alternator pretty fast even if the carriage is only moving along at a couple walking speed.

Hello All, Day Nine, Clarion, PA to Breezewood, PA, 181 miles.

Another easy low-milage day, with a short run tomorrow on the Pennsylvania Turnpike into Harrisburg and a little bit further to Hershey. Cool and rainy, no car trouble, nice scenery and lots of ups and downs on every highway. We detoured through Punksutawny, PA with hopes of seeing familiar backdrops from the Groundhog Day movie, but learned, sadly, that it was filmed entirely in the Chicago area (home of star Bill Murray and also the producer).

After much discussion and thought last night, we decided against getting an overdrive transmission from George Asche for the Dodge. Our old tub is close to underpowered at the best of times and would, realistically, likely need more carburetors and bigger exhaust and a shaved head and who knows what all to make decent use of the extra gearing. Not that there’s anything wrong with that — but that’s not a slippery slope I want to head down with this car.

Before this road trip I craved higher performance and faster cruising for the Dodge... now, not so much. Life in the slow lane is pretty good. I truely enjoy the vintage motoring experience, and 50-55 mph is as much a part of that as roadside repairs, AM radio and vacuum wipers. I like period-appropriate modifications (like our auxiliary lighting and roof rack) but newfangalism and upgrades just don’t appeal.

George was very gracious (and slightly bewildered) about my decision, and assured me he’ll have no trouble finding a new home for my O/D. If anyone here is interested, give him a call at 814-354-2621.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Hershey: We have a short shopping list for the Dodge and if any forum members will be at the meet and have what we need, I’d rather give you the business instead of hunting the fields for these: fuel pump w/vacuum but w/o filter (missed the recent auction on this one), rear main seal, 16” blue wheel, period accessory compass, two of 2.25” dia red cone-shaped marker light lenses, decent front floor mat, 6vt +gnd tachometer.

Everyone is welcome to visit our stall at O-AB4 in the Orange field for some tire kicking and coffee from the Coleman. And we plan to be at the Chocolate field to Green field steps on Thursday at noon.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Todays’ pictures: We got our kicks... on P-A 6-6, Team ‘47 Dodge with one of the 30-odd Punksutawney Phil statues dotting his hometown; the lovable rodent himself snoozing at the town library.

post-2848-13585357163381_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357163736_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357164023_thumb.jpg

I understand your decision about the overdrive. I have one in my 55 Chevy pick up with P235 75 15 tires all around and it really struggles at 70 mph in overdrive. I have a HEI ignition, a 390 four barrel on a Clifford manifold and Fenton headers for modifications. I am running 2250 rpms at 70 in overdrive and it requires all four barrels to be open if there is any rise in the terrain.

Edited by james curl

I understand your decision about the overdrive. I have one in my 55 Chevy pick up with P235 75 15 tires all around and it really struggles at 70 mph in overdrive. I have a HEI ignition, a 390 four barrel on a Clifford manifold and Fenton headers for modifications. I am running 2250 rpms at 70 in overdrive and it requires all four barrels to be open if there is any rise in the terrain.

Hi James, this is interesting, as although I cannot afford to buy an OD right now, I have been on the look out for one.

My 47 Chrysler Club Coupe has a shipping weight of approximately 3500 lbs, my Coupe is minus a fluid drive, and M5 trans, so that probably drops the weight about 100 lbs.

My current mill is a 98 hp 218 long block canuck engine, 3 spd trans, dry clutch 3.73 rear end, tires are P205 75 15.

My heavy car would probably struggle with the lack of HP, perhaps if I drop ina fresh rebuilt 251, with say 125 hp, it would be okay.

Am I correct with my conclusions, or not?...........Fred

Fred I don't think you'd have any trouble pulling the car in OD. Might have to change the rear end along with the OD. Lanny runs an OD and a 3.73 rear end though. Most run 3.90 or 4.10 with the OD though.

Fred I don't think you'd have any trouble pulling the car in OD. Might have to change the rear end along with the OD. Lanny runs an OD and a 3.73 rear end though. Most run 3.90 or 4.10 with the OD though.

Without hi-jacking this thread, sorry Chris, I have veered on this, Ed I also own a 4.30 rear end, which could be bolted right back into the housing on my car, where it came from, not ven sure why my car had this diff, or who installed it......Fred

I hope you guys have better luck than I have had looking for MOPAR stuff at the swap.

Lotsa MOPAR muscle car stuff, 30"s thought 50's not so much. My biggest Hersey scores were a upper battery hold down, a set of front bumper gaurds, and a couple sets of wiper blades. Any way it is an experience every gear head should have once.

Hope the weather clears up looks like showers till Wed, clearing thurs and Fri.

didnt realize that it would be a struggle in O,D..

ive been to hershey swap twice,have never seen any muscle car parts of any era,,other then stock early mustang stuff,,i have found some hard to find little items for my 40 dodge coupe there,,,and a few N O S,,

Hello All, Day Nine, Breezewood PA to Hershey via the Pennsylvania Turnpike, 3,334 miles end to end, YAHOO!

It's great to be here, what a wonderful trip so far — sorry we weren't able to visit with any forum folks en route, but looking forward to meeting some of you over the next four days. We're at AB4 in the Orange field, right near the exit.

Oldguy48, we will still be here Saturday but in the car show, HPOF class (Historical Preservation of Features), not in the flea market. As I understand it, a lot of the vendors will have cleared out by then.

Rockwood, no worries about hijacking the thread... it is interesting to read the discussion and different perspectives on ODs.

I won't be posting regularly during the meet — it may be difficult to keep my laptop charged, and I need to conserve the battery to Skype daily with my beloved bride.

Today's pictures: Tunnel time on the PA turnpike, setting up camp at the swap meet; all the comforts of home... coffee on the Coleman and the forum on the laptop.

post-2848-13585357168413_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357168891_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357169292_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357169662_thumb.jpg

What rear gear ratio are you running? My 51 chevy has the same sort of engine mods. Perhaps you gear ratio is to high.