OT: Frustrating Day with my P15

fedoragent

Folks,

I had a frustrating weekend/day with the Plymouth. First, I had a mechanic spend 3 hours of his frustration on trying to get the door locks out. No beans, and he just couldn't get the locks out at all. I've had two different mechanics go at it, and I had a go at it and we all agree on one thing. C4 at the lock screw would be refreshing...and would definitely get the lock out.... :) Also, he was able to put my license plate light and the trunk handle on the car. However, he noticed that the 3rd Brake Light part is made for a Sedan. It even has Sedan stamped on the inside.

So my questions are two fold.

1. Is there really a difference between the 3rd brake light on a P15 Sedan vs. a Coupe?

2. Does anyone have a P15 Coupe 3rd brake light assembly that they wish to part with?? I have a BEAUTIFUL red Plymouth ship, and I figure all I have to do is just get the appropriate part.

3. If the set screws on the door locks won't budge, then what? Drill the tumblers through and replace them?

4. Where does one get an entire door lock assembly with tumbler? I may want to Napalm/C4/drill out the lock and completely replace it.

Thanks,

FG.

Quit playing around with amateur mechanics. i told you i would help you fix this thing, but the hour drive must not be worth it for you. good luck with it.

You're just too far. I've never taken her on the freeway that far. If you were closer we would have met already. Hell, I don't even know if she'd make it that far and back.

FG.

Quit playing around with amateur mechanics. i told you i would help you fix this thing, but the hour drive must not be worth it for you. good luck with it.

Great offer Deez, sure wish I had a member an hour drive away.

Guys like you and many others sure would be nice to have close by. Most guys up here, are SBC transplant in all streetrods, or are totally purists cringing on any change from OEM.

Sorry about the rant, I just find a lot of you Guys in the US are nice and close to each other, which is very helpful in time of need........Fred

The stop light is the same the shape of the mounting bezel is different between the coupe/convertible and the sedans, as the trunk lis is shaped differently.

Are you saying that in California one can not get from point A to point B without using a freeway???? Have the torn up all the surface roads??? Which do you think is more difficult for a car, stop and go traffic, starting and stopping hudreds of times or gettin on a highway and going the same distance without stopping and starting in an endless cycle?? I drove 100 miles yesterday mostly at an indicated 60/65, on a limited access highway, Oil pressure 50 lbs, coolant temp 165, was good......

Only one way to find out, and if it breaks down we found another weak link and i just hook up to the trailer and bring it back no biggie.

FG, take dezeldoc up on his offer. He knows these cars and is willing to come and get you with a trailer if you break down. It doesn't get any better. Just arrange it for when he is available and carry your cell phone or a friend's if you don't have one.

You're just too far. I've never taken her on the freeway that far. If you were closer we would have met already. Hell, I don't even know if she'd make it that far and back.

FG.

Its about 70 miles between Pasadena and Lancaster. Call it 1.5 hours if you are poking along at 50.

That can sound like an intimidating distance if you haven't driven that far from home in the old car before. For myself, I find that if it has been a while since I've done a long trip the I start imagining all the things that can go wrong and it gets harder and harder to decide to make a long trip. It has been so long since I got the car that I don't really remember how intimidating the first long trip was but I did regularly drive it between Rochester and Ithaca, about 100 miles each way, when I first got it and it had many things wrong with it. Once you get on the road usually nothing goes wrong and you start to trust that the vehicle is up to the task.

Anyway, one "tool" that I figure you should have is a AAA+ or AAA platinum membership card. The plus is good for 100 miles of towing and, I hear, the platinum is good for 200 miles.

The other "tool" would be a cell phone. You have good cell phone coverage all the way from Pasadena to Lancaster and you are within free flatbed towing distance of home.

A drive up to dezeldoc is probably the best type of trip to take to start to get a feel for how reliable the car is and what might need improvement. Even if he can't help on your immediate problem it would be a good "break-in" drive for you and the car. If you are afraid of highway 14, take Soledad Canyon road...

And forum member Don Jordan lives in Acton which would be about 1/2 way for you. He is a nice fellow, met him last Saturday and saw his very well done P15. I can't make offers for him but it might be another possible place to bail out or turn around if you have issues on the drive.

Anyway, one "tool" that I figure you should have is a AAA+ or AAA platinum membership card. The plus is good for 100 miles of towing and, I hear, the platinum is good for 200 miles.

The other "tool" would be a cell phone. You have good cell phone coverage all the way from Pasadena to Lancaster and you are within free flatbed towing distance of home.

Tod is 100% correct. A little anxiety is normal, but with a phone and the right AAA plan you should have no fear of travel.

Here is my traveling tool box. I have been well over 1000 miles from home on more than one occasion. It does not matter what kind of road, turnpikes, freeways, interstate highways, two lane highways, or dirt roads. The thrill of the trip is seeing if your old girl will get you home. My P-15 has never been on the "hook". I cant say the same for my daily driver.

moderntoolbox.jpg

I drive my P15 all over the country. I just did a trip to Alliance NE over Labour Day weekend just to look at a bit of American kitsch in the middle of no where, over 1275 miles and four days on the road. We regularly make 100 mile one way trips to Liberty just for Sunday dinner. I am no mechanic, and lots of people think I am crazy. I've only broken down twice, and both were easy fixes were I properly prepared: cracked rubber fuel line sucking air instead of fuel and a fuel pump failure, and less than 100 miles from home. I now carry a fuel pump and some rubber fuel line along with a tool kit. If I am going some where I've never gone, I keep a full 6 gal. petrol jug in case I run out of fuel, and have never needed it.

An offer like dezeldoc's and I would have been there in spades. So you may be setting by the side of the road? Who cares? You won't die of embarrassment. Help will be along soon. Like Greg and Tod said, take the two-lane. You may even make a new friend while you are waiting?

Hmmm i do believe i have some locks with keys also!

Alright, now with you guys posting suggestions, now my wife is getting into it so I'm getting feedback from all sides. In other words, FG, get your fat arse in the Plymouth and start driving soon. Dezel, I'll call you this week. I have to goto SF for a church event but will be back soon enough. I'm also traveling this week for work as well.

FG.