Drive Your Old Mopar to Work Week......

BobT-47P15

Saw this on the HAMB.......might be fun to join in the thing, only with our

old cars rather than hot rods.

Below is the origination of the idea. It's this week. Or, if enough like the idea,

another time could be selected....to allow advance notice.

Just putting this out as another excuse to drive our cars.

Someone later said: "send a pic of your car at your work".

Posted by: BenD

Posts: 1,440 National Drive Your Hot Rod to Work Week (May 17-21)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming back from the Roundup earlier this week my son made the realization that he rarely sees Hot Rods being driven other than during an event. In Austin, during the week we saw hundreds on the street, but less than twenty on the trip down and back. Even though there was a mini-nats in OKC, you'd think between Austin and OKC we'd see several, not the case.

He also said, "You know when I see a Hot Rod rolling down the road I get excited, my heart races, and I can't keep from smiling." It does the same to me, and I'd assume it does the rest of you too. That's why we do this isn't it?

So, after a bit of discussion, he came up with the idea of a "Drive your Hot Rod to Work Day". Hell, make it a week. The weather is warming up, events are happening and most of us need a good shakedown run this spring anyway. We're planning on going to PA for the "Jalopy Showdown" and then taking the following week to meander home. That would be a perfect time to see how much effect this suggestion will have.

So on his suggestion, "National Drive Your Hot Rod to Work Week", starts May 17th.

Get out and Drive 'em, we'll be counting.

Link to the entire thread......http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465862

I have antique plates - and the rules probably don't include driving to

work. So, when on rare occasion I drive the car to the office on a

real nice day, I consider it a pleasure trip to and from. Just happened

to stop by work for a while. Since getting the plates in 1973, have

never been stopped or checked about how the car is being used.

We are supposed to keep a log book of some sort (I use a little

pocket notebook) in the glove box to record mileage driven.

Occasionally I think to enter a reading therein.

Probably if they saw you driving the car with collector tags every

day over time they might get on your case.

Take mine to work? NOT! Actually, I would like to take it to work, but since I work at a high school that is in the middle of "the ghetto," I don't think it would be a good idea, especially since a lot of the students here are into "bombs" and lowriders.

Edited by 47heaven

I'd be inclined to agree in your case......

Was going to drive mine today, but it's been raining most all day.

Just quit a little bit ago. Supposed to rain more tonight.

I've been filling in this week for a couple people who took off

work for vacation trips. Otherwise, still mostly retired.

As long as you plan to stop for a car event after work all should be well insurance and tag wise. The event could be a cruse in at the local Sonic, an oil change, a stop at the auto parts store etc.

Several years ago I believe it was Tod Fitch who suggested everyone drive there car to work on one day (Wednesday?) each week. For me that would be rather difficult today. I am in working in San Antonio Texas as I write this. But it did take me 12 hours to get here by airplane last Friday. Rain closed this airport and I was diverted to Houston Hobby. My trip should have been 6 hours tops but it took 12 hours. I could have driven here in my P-15 in that time.

Well since I work out in the field, or on the road most days driving my car to work is impossible, as work may be 10 miles away or 200 miles away, depending on where I work most days.

How bout we change it up a bit and make it "drive your mopar _____ week" I know I like to drive my car up to the local Sonic on Wednesday nights and meet with a few friends of mine who drive their cars too. You could drive it to a park for a picnic, go out to eat, go to play golf, or whatever you want to do. That way you can drive your car to a relatively safe location, do it in your free time, and enjoy it.

Only rule is you have to take a few pics of your adventure to share with the rest of the group.

In remembrance of Norm's coupe, if your car is not driveable, and you push it out into the driveway for a few pics that counts too. :)

Let me know if that sounds better to everyone. Then I guess we need to dedicate a week, and those who can drive their cars to work could do the same thing.

As long as you plan to stop for a car event after work all should be well insurance and tag wise. The event could be a cruse in at the local Sonic, an oil change, a stop at the auto parts store etc.

Several years ago I believe it was Tod Fitch who suggested everyone drive there car to work on one day (Wednesday?) each week. For me that would be rather difficult today. I am in working in San Antonio Texas as I write this. But it did take me 12 hours to get here by airplane last Friday. Rain closed this airport and I was diverted to Houston Hobby. My trip should have been 6 hours tops but it took 12 hours. I could have driven here in my P-15 in that time.

I don't recall writing that bit about driving the old car to work once a week. But then again, there are lots of things I don't remember nowadays. What ever my old advise, please follow the advise of others on this thread and make sure your auto registration and insurance permit occasional commuting in the old car.

For those who are retired and/or between jobs, you might want to consider what a small group of mostly Model A Ford owners in my area do: Meet for breakfast or lunch once a week. Not sure how formal the group is, but on Friday mornings a number of people who call themselves "ROMEOS" (Retired Old Men Eating Out) meet at a house about 1/2 mile from me and then drive to a restaurant for breakfast.

I don't recall writing that bit about driving the old car to work once a week. But then again, there are lots of things I don't remember nowadays. .

Tod;

It was on the old forum and a couple of weeks after I first bought my car before I started my rebuilding/modification process. I was driving my car to work at your suggestion when this picture was taken.

DASH.jpg

Even if my 47 was roadworthy I'd never take it to work. It's Rt 280 to the New Jersey turnpike and then get off at the infamous exit 15 E. The criminals don't even go there except to torch the stolen cars after a hard night of joyriding. There are plenty of feral dogs too and let me tell you, they are at least as mean as they look. Nope, the 47 and the 57 will never be making the trip down there as long as I own them.

No camera with to take a picture but the 48 is out in the parking ramp at work right now. Figured I needed a little test drive before our trip tomorrow. My rebuilt speedometer seems to read high GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

No F150s got in my way! I've actually done it once or twice since then. It doesn't feel weird anymore. The first couple times it really did though!

Any excuse to drive our old cars is good.........doesn't have to be to

work. We have a car/cycle show plus chili cookoff at our local Elks

Lodge this Saturday. I'm going to go shine up the Plym in a little

while.

I did drive it to a picnic style lunch a couple weeks ago, put on by a

local glass shop in appreciation of business given them by their various

customers. It got several good comments, as usual.

It was a nice day, so the Mrs agreed to go along, plus I stopped by my

office to pick up a lady who works there. So, it was a good BBQ lunch

with two good looking girls and the Plymouth. Doesn't get much better

than that.:)

Bob, I agree, need no excuse to drive the Old Plymouth.

If it isn't raining, I drive my Plymouth atleast eight miles a day, those are the round trip to the fairgrounds where Cooper and I walk, then lots of days him and I will just go for a ride and take photos. My wife is home from work with a broken foot, so she even went for a ride with me and Cooper on Monday.

In fact when I finish posting this, Cooper and I are going down to the town hall, ten miles round trip, to get my paycheck for working this past Saturday at the transfer station.

Bob, I agree, need no excuse to drive the Old Plymouth.

If it isn't raining, I drive my Plymouth atleast eight miles a day, those are the round trip to the fairgrounds where Cooper and I walk, then lots of days him and I will just go for a ride and take photos. My wife is home from work with a broken foot, so she even went for a ride with me and Cooper on Monday.

In fact when I finish posting this, Cooper and I are going down to the town hall, ten miles round trip, to get my paycheck for working this past Saturday at the transfer station.