OT what flathead/head is it?

Frank Elder

GREAT!!!!!...........just what I needed.......a Hemi Headed 6...........there goes the other gonad!!!.........lol...........now all I need is for there to be a DOHC Mopar 6 head & I'm left with nothing to trade..........says he in his high pitched squeaky voice..........lol.........andyd

That might be one of the reasons this design wasn't pursued cuz the tappets would have to be engaged by some kind of linkage rather than a simple pushrod. The head bolts around the combustion chamber would be okie dokie, but yeah I reckon with engine heating & cooling there'd be definite oil leakage in the pushrod area.

I spy a draft tube on the valve pushrod side of the block, and I reckon that's a oil filler/breather cap on the valve cover, but no PCV plumbing. Is that a thermostat housing on the intake manifold? The exhaust crossover pipe is right over the water pump, the plug wires are running over the exhaust manifold; the generator/alternator would be right next to the exhaust manifold too...I reckon they figgered there's plenty of reliability issues with this design so they scrapped it and went on to the Slant 6.

This design was long before the slant 6. This was in the late 40s before the original hemi v8 came out. They used their existing engine as a test mule for various OHV configurations.

Crossflow inline sixes were impractical on low lost cars in those days because of the need for carburator heat. Multicarbs or fuel injection was too costly.

In those days Chrysler evaluated V6s but they were considered to be too rough, compared to the inline six everything is kind of rough.

I wish the Jeep 4.0 six had been given a workover, maybe direct injection with 12:1 CR by now. Think of the 4.0 with heads like the 5.7 hemi.

Edited by Tim Keith

• 1 month later...
Must have used a 25 inch block the cylinders aren't siamesed. the intake manifold seems to have been redone to matchup with reconfigured ports. And those guys must have put a lot of stock in the manifold heat raiser, as they plumbed the exhaust from the drivers side over to the pass side to enable it. Like to be able to see the othere side. Were did you come up with these pics Ed??? You would have thought that this would have been in the WPC museum.

what exactly does "siamesed" mean?

Think of a siamesed twin. They are attached. Well the siamesed cylinders arent quite attached to each other but they are close together in pairs.

My use of siamesed, refers to the cylinder casting arrangement of the short block. They as cast almost as pairs, and there is a thin casting between the pairs, and a thicker casting between the pairs. They also share intake runners, so the intake valves are next to each other in the pairing. On the long block and on most OHV straight 6 engines, the cylinders are cast equadistant apparent apart. They may or may not share valve pairings.

This pics shows the situatioin look at the thickness of the casting between 5 and 6 at the arrow, and the thickness between 4 and 5. So 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 are siamesed pairs. Also the reason for the offset connecting rods on the short block.

You ca also ote that the intake valves of each pair are next to oneanother so they feed from a shared port rather than an individual one.

9f989578.jpg

My use of siamesed, refers to the cylinder casting arrangement of the short block. They as cast almost as pairs, and there is a thin casting between the pairs, and a thicker casting between the pairs. They also share intake runners, so the intake valves are next to each other in the pairing. On the long block and on most OHV straight 6 engines, the cylinders are cast equadistant apparent apart. They may or may not share valve pairings.

This pics shows the situatioin look at the thickness of the casting between 5 and 6 at the arrow, and the thickness between 4 and 5. So 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 are siamesed pairs. Also the reason for the offset connecting rods on the short block.

You ca also ote that the intake valves of each pair are next to oneanother so they feed from a shared port rather than an individual one.

My long block is configured the same as your short block. The reason for the closeness of the cylinders is so the intakes can share the same port.

block-1.jpg