Manifold paint question

RobertKB

I am in the process of clean up after removing my manifold. The old wire wheel works well and I also removed the bottom three studs as the threads had some damage and I have good spares from parts engines. When I paint that area, I do not have the old gaskets in good shape to cover where the gaskets go and I don't want to spray with the new paint, engine parts, etc in the way. I am going to do it the old fashioned way with a brush and touch up the top of the engine a bit as well. My question is....can I put paint where the gaskets are going to sit or is this asking for trouble. I seem to remember a picture of Don Coatney's engine as he was building it and he had paint all the way up to the ports. I could be wrong but I seem to remember that. Any advice welcome.

DSCN5561.jpg

I believe it's OK to paint manifold mating surfaces. I think it's better to use high temp paint.

I guess Fel-Pro Blue gaskets don't like Paint. There's a warning on the package "Paint can prevent the gasket's sealer from chemically bonding".

I'm painting the same areas on my engine today. I going to cover the studs, stuff ports and try to keep less around the mating surfaces if I can.

Edited by D25_Owner

I painted my engine with a brush too. I left all area's that were to be covered with a gasket bare. I also did not paint over the engine number on purpose. I was using a thick (uncut) engine paint from Hirsch though.

I know a lot of people do paint over those surfaces, but I don't go along with doing it. Primarily because I'm always afraid of the paint peeling. If it peels, it could cause problems with the seal between the two surfaces. Only reason I left the engine number unpainted is so the paint wouldn't fill the depressions in the numbers.

its truly amazing these cars even exist in todays world much less run and perform as well if not better than new given the advacnes in fuel, lubricants and tires...the engineers must truly have made a mistake ...

theres not be many on the road that have never had engine / tanny work, the reason alot still run is because it was heavy duty machining. The technology was terrible compared to todays standard, but its still so cool.

it is the same technology that shut down one night in the early 40's and next day pumped out the machine that turned the tide in the second world war..I do not think they (engineers and industry at large) are capable of this today...man has only advanced in his ability to pat himself on the back..

Michael' date='

Actually, the engine in your modern 2010 cars are really the same technology as our 60 and 70 year old cars are. They are still a combustible engine. The only difference in them is the electronics that control them today. The engine, transmission and rearends/transaxle's are the same.[/quote']

Plus improved metallurgy and CNC machining tolerances gives us a much longer mechanical life.

Plus improved metallurgy and CNC machining tolerances gives us a much longer mechanical life.

Agreed. But another reason many of the old cars aren't around today is simply because we live in a "throw away society". Many of the cars that went to the bone yards could have been fixed, people just didn't want to fix them. We see that still today with modern cars.

Folks,

I recall as a kid hearing the old-time mechanics extolling the virtues of coating the outside of an engine block with a half-inch of axle grease. They said it did something with the cooling, but I never bought into it because it always seemed to me that if a car manufacturer could save thousands in engineering costs by smearing cheap grease on a block they would have done so. I feel the same way about painting mating surfaces.

A gasket takes-up the slack left between two surfaces and if those surfaces could have been painted instead of using a gasket it would have been done by the industry. Don't add crap to the mating surfaces then expect them to have much integrity. If you want a smooth surface have the pieces machined to closer tolerance, but there isn't any substitute for quality work.

Whew!

-Randy

Michael' date='

Actually, the engine in your modern 2010 cars are really the same technology as our 60 and 70 year old cars are. They are still a combustible engine. The only difference in them is the electronics that control them today. The engine, transmission and rearends/transaxle's are the same.[/quote']

Combustible-so it starts on fire eh?

Combustible-so it starts on fire eh?

Ed, did you use "eh?':confused:, that be very Canadian way of saying something:D. Mind you I was on the phone to a couple of sales people at Menards in Grand Forks ND, they certainly sound almost identical to my Canadian Prairie accent.....

Michael' date='

if you think so..... the basic idea is he same but alot has changed.

Just had to get on ya for that one norm. Now think how funny it would be if someone made such a thing and you could sneak it under your buddies hood like an exploding cigar.