Happy Veterans Day OT

Don Coatney

Hanoi Taxi...not sure how many folks know of this proud bird..now retired..this is of her last flight into Charleston SC...plenty to read about here...   https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AshAqCREDMd2bJF1t_RyWEebvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s&toggle=1&fp=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=hanoi%20taxi%20c-141

and a rare shot of me working..I had just powered up a C17 for some ops checks..

post-19-0-76935300-1415700632_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-79745100-1415700633_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-04399500-1415700635_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-12382900-1415700637_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-22807500-1415700662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 4

Hanoi Taxi...not sure how many folks know of this proud bird..now retired..this is of her last flight into Charleston SC...plenty to read about here...   https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AshAqCREDMd2bJF1t_RyWEebvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s&toggle=1&fp=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=hanoi%20taxi%20c-141

and a rare shot of me working..I had just powered up a C17 for some ops checks..

Drat!  makes me feel "old" (ish)  ;)  .  The C-141 was the "it" plane even after it had been in service for 20 years when I was in the Army.  Jumped out of quite a few of them, and even flew to Bolivia in one for a Border Patrol special ops assignment in '94.  Didn't realize they had been retired.  Great story, thanks for posting. 

• 11 months later...

Happy Veteran's all  &  Semper Fi  to all my Leather Neck Brothers.

My thanks, and congratulations to all those who served.

My dad did a tour in WW-II. Here he's with his Navy buddies at the amusement park.

post-6765-0-19074500-1447314476_thumb.jpg

He was wounded on a supply mission & spent 6 mos on a hospital ship before he mustered out.

They never gave him a purple heart because he was wounded by one of our own guys. (Crane operator dropped a load.)

I was just 1 year old when the USAF stuck Dad on this thing out in the ocean.

Texas tower #2:

post-6765-0-31328600-1447313989_thumb.jpg

He came home OK, but the 40 guys on tower #4 are still on the bottom of the sea.

When dad came home from Vietnam, he bought a rifle and a pistol and taught me to shoot.

See, he expected that I'd wind up a vet as well, but that never happened. I turned 18 in college, and the draft ended that same summer.

I was too old, once the gulf wars started, and so to those who went, thank you and bless you all.

• 11 months later...

My thanks to all of you guys and gals who served our country.

I drug these out of my desk, in an old fruitcake tin where they have lived as long as I can remember, because these are things I want to remember.

These were my dad's, except for the stained patch of the 381st SMW. Not sure where I got that one.

Dad wore the ADC patch from the mid- 60's onward. SAC before '64 though.

The catholic stuff was Dad's, the Baptist stuff was Mom's

The folding screwdriver reads "Go Airforce".

Mom had scouts (boy and girl) in our home, and the scout pins belonged to Mom and my sister.

There's a tiny pin (upside down in the pic) which reads "21". No clue what that's about.

patches1.jpg

adc.jpg

sac.jpg

381smw.jpg

pins.jpg

Good post to update. Thanks guys for defending our freedom, and the sorrow to those who gave all. Young people today should be jumping on the opportunity to enlist. And yes I do partake, offering thanks to the multitude of participating restaurants that offer military personnel a free meal on this great day.