'55 Pilot-House find

I'm new at this, so please bear with me.  I found a 1955 Dodge Pickup in a shed, and I need someone to give me an approximate value.  It was so dark in the shed I couldn't get decent pictures.  VIN plate reads: VN 82374145,  M# C3-B6-108.   Body looks all original except the bench seat, tail lights, and aftermarket wheels.  Body and frame seem mostly sound with some rusting on floor and cab behind doors.  Bed floor is totally deteriorated and loose from frame in front.  Sides and tail gate OK.  Driver's side glass is missing, all other intact.  Inside door panels are missing.   Engine is an in-line flathead six with 3-on the tree.  I assume it is the 218 C.I.D., head # 1311804-2; block # Pi5*590482*.  Electrical remains a 6-v system.  I turned the engine by hand, so it's not seized-up.  The owner wants $ 3,000. for it, but I just don't know what to offer.  I cut my teeth on these old "charmers," and now I'd like to play with one again.  Any help anyone can give will be most appreciated. 

P-15 car engine block.

Value is too subjective to honestly set. Bed floor is junk, and to replace correctly is not cheap. Stock wheels and hubcaps are getting hard to source if you wanted more of a restored look. Stock seats worth rebuilding are harder to find yet.

What route do you want to go with it? Resto, resto-mod, retro-mod, lowrider "bomb trokita", rat, grandpa's old farm truck... end goal is going to also help set your upfront willing to pay price.

If she'll run and drive as found with some fresh fuel, air in the tires and a boost, pay the man $1500 and drive her home. If she's just barn art, 10 cents a pound.

I have seen 3 pilot houses in the last year sell either privately or at auction.  They were in similar condition and were not running when sold.  All were under $800.  However buying one of these to restore is like buying a dog, initial cost is minimal compared to the dog food, vet bills, etc. that come after you bring the barking thing home.

For what its worth, Phil Street's Dodge truck serial number lookup tool at http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php returns the following:

Serial Number -> 82374145

Year -> 1955

Make -> Dodge

Model -> C-3-B6, C-3-BL6

Engine -> 230 Flathead Six

Wheelbase -> 108, 116

Rating -> 1/2 Ton

Engineering Code -> T334

Plant -> Detroit, Michigan

Build Number -> 1145

If you take the cost of junkyard parts that are considered restorable...basically little rust and minor body work needed....and added those numbers up you get an idea where you're at. The parts I listed below are down and dirty prices that are common or in your favor. Remember, you are SAVING the seller the hassle of parting out the truck by purchasing the whole truck. Call around to the LOCAL vintage yards that have trucks. If you can't find any, you will have to take into account shipping from around the country. That will affect your cost and value of the truck you're looking at. Something other makes don't often deal with. If you dont have a budget, I'd make one. In the long run it might change your mind as to what year and make truck you would feel best about building. Good luck!

48D

(SAMPLE)

Fender 120 x 2 = 240
Door 120 x 2 = 250
Cab 300 x 1 = 300
Engine 100 x 1 = 100
Axles 75 x 2 = 150
Hood 75 x 1 = 100
Grille 150 x 1 = 175
Interior x 1 = 125
Trans x 1 = 75
Rims x 4 = 200
Runnin Bds x 2= 150
Misc Trim = 100
Glass = 150

Bumper = 100
total = 2225

Edited by 48dodger

Value is a very subjective item. I think it really depends on the condition of specific truck. What is there and what is missing enters into the equation as well. Another way to look at it is where you want to go with it? In other words do you want a rat rod? or a show quality truck? Or something in between?

Since I got mine a couple of years ago I have seen some decent non running B series trucks that I would consider good candidates for restoration sell between $1200 to $2000. It would have to be really nice to get me to pay more than that for one. Especially now that I know what is involved with doing one of these trucks. I paid $1000 two years ago for a completely rust free non runner here in SoCal. I think that was a fair price for what I got.....and I have put a ton of work into it. My point is even with a good starting point you will need to be very committed if you want to build a nice example. I would say somewhere in the range of $8k to $15K plus a whole lot of labor. They are a really fun project.......but I don't think they are as easy as say a chevy from the same time period.

Jeff

honestly I think you are being VERY generous in the costs....or your yards are WAY better on prices then they are in the Midwest.

True.....but even at lower in your favor prices, the cost came up to 2,225. I look at whole trucks and look for the parts that aren't restoreable.....if the list gets to big...the guy is selling me a parts truck....not a restorable truck.

48D

Many thanks for your kind responses; it's most helpful.  If you're wondering, my son signed on with his profile.  I'm his "ol' man,"  who's chattering.    This would be a 3 generation project with my grandson, who is presently taking auto repair in high school.    Yes, the truck was a project started and shelved.    If we get it, we will likely do a rat rod, rather than full restoration.  I'll let you know if we can make it happen.    Wish us luck!                                                                                             

Good luck. And like I pointed out earlier that engine block is from a Plymouth car, P15. My 49 B1B-108 has a 1948 P15 engine in it right now that has ben there since 1958 or so when the original engine blew up. Literally, crankshaft snapped and shredded the block... :eek:  My dad told me pieces of engine block were scattered for a mile down the road.

Pilot House is 48-53, Functional Design is 54-56, Power Giant is 57-60. They all had an L6 base engine, so, they're all good to go here. My favorites are 48 through early 49 with floor mounted shifter and parking brake, and the 57 into very early 58 with single headlight per side. Or any of the others so long as they have a 4 on the floor, no 3 on the tree will ever darken my driveway...

• 3 weeks later...

Just to put this in perspective, I bought a 50 and a 51 for $750 and passed on a lot of trucks for around a 1000 each. A 55 Chevy, $3000 likely all day, but a 55 Dodge, not a sought after truck by the majority and not worth the same even once restored. I'd tell the owner to do some research on the truck and leave your offer at $1200-15 tops. For $3000 you can buy a truck further along or one that's better off the start.

Good luck