Ta Da!!!

From this...

P1010200.jpg

To this...

P1140196.jpg

To this...

P7070585.jpg

Although it's not completely done, it's at least drivable. The rest can come over time. Yesterday I drove it home for the first time since I drug in into the shop to remove the cab almost 2 years ago. That was my longest drive so far (18 miles). I've made several 3 - 5 mile trips around here, but this was my first "long" run. Aside from needing another brake adjustment, and a little stumble off of idle, it runs great. Oil pressure in the 45 - 50 psi range, and the coolant temp stays around 180. And the speedo works nice and smooth now after giving it a bit of light oil in the lube wick, plus some cable lube. I do believe some insulation on the firewall will go a long way. I can feel a bit of heat radiating from that area. Opening the cowl vent helps, but it's still a bit warm in there.

I'm hoping to drive it as much as possible before taking it to the WPC meet next week. What a blast so far. I'm still learning to shift smoothly with this non-syncro 4 speed, especially down shifts, but I'm getting there. The Fluid Drive helps. When I don't have enough limbs to brake, double clutch, and rev the engine for a down shift, while using both hands to crank the steering wheel around a corner and shift at the same time, I've found that I can just leave it in 4th and let it lug and slip the fluid coupling.

It's not going to win many races, but at least it's quicker than a loaded dump truck. :D

Merle

Very nice Merle. All that double clutching will become second nature soon. Are you going to pin stripe the grill bars ? I just used striping tape on mine and it's still there after 10 or so years.

Thanks guys,

I should probably also take this time to thank those who assisted with this project. Of course there's no way to individually thank all of those here who helped to inspire me, but here's the main ones...

Byron Richardson (Byronb3b) for the tail gate, and other inspiration, getting me involved in the WPC Club.

Reg Evans for some spare gauges and other help. (yes Reg I plan to stripe the grill bars. I like the tape idea. I'll look into it.)

Dale Uhrich for the parking lamp lens to replace the one I broke.

Eric Bannerman (townwagon) for several misc. parts.

Todd B's for his inspiration after seeing his trucks.

Denise Tripp for more parts and inspiration for letting me drive her truck.

Alan Parkhurst, Jim Roach, and Dave Erb (greybeard) It was great kicking tires and checking out their trucks earlier this year.

My good friend Mike Lauer who found me a great supply of free Hickory for my bed floor. And took charge to get it glued up and cut/milled.

Napa, Advance Auto Parts, Checker Auto Parts, Farm & Fleet, Fleet Farm, True Value Hardware, Ace Hardware, Auto Paint & Supply, (cough) Andy Bernbaum (cough), Robert's Motor Parts, Steele Rubber, Ebay, and other parts suppliers I can't think of at this time.

And of course, Aring Equipment Co. (my employer) who let me use the shop for this project.

And I better thank my girlfriend, Jane, for her patience these past few months as I spent more and more time in the shop than with her.

Oops... Almost forgot about Stef (Job~Rated) for the "Fluid Drive" emblems that are near imposible to find. And Pro-Tech Auto Glass where I got my new glass cut, and some if it installed. And of course Dave's Repair up in Allenton who did the machine work on my engine.

I hope I didn't forget anyone else. If so, "Thank You too".

Merle

Merle,

Good job! Your truck looks great. Based on the prices we have seen other trucks in the same condition as yours, you should have a $45-$50,000 truck. Again, you have a great looking truck that you should be very proud of.

Jim Roach

Now that you cranked out that truck I want to know whats next. Pretty sure you need a nice comfy car for the longer hauls!

I like the earlier series of trucks like yours too. Especially now that I know that my Grandpa had a '47 1 ton back in the day. And a car would be nice too. However, right now I must let my bank account recuperate. Plus I barely have enough room for this truck, let alone another project. I still need to finish parting out my parts truck so I can get it out of my yard.

Merle

Someone on the car side had a street rod they built with a GM cab and a mopar car frame. I happen to have an extra complete frame right now and have been thinking of something along that line too. Might be cool to have a pilot house cab on a car frame. Would ride nice I bet!

I like the earlier series of trucks like yours too. Especially now that I know that my Grandpa had a '47 1 ton back in the day. And a car would be nice too. However, right now I must let my bank account recuperate. Plus I barely have enough room for this truck, let alone another project. I still need to finish parting out my parts truck so I can get it out of my yard.

Merle

What's left on the parts truck?

Sweet ride, Good luck on your trip to WPC meet. I just sent My Studie frame over to my guy whose working on the cab floors etc. He wants to mount it up so the new metal will go in where it should. Maybe next year...................

What's left on the parts truck?

The cab with a severely rusted floor. Someone here was wanting a good top, but I think shipping to him was going to be a killer. I can't even recall who it was at this time.

The engine turns over and, last I checked, none of the valves were sticking. However I haven't got it running yet. I believe it could be a good running 218, but I haven't got that far yet.

The front axle is still complete.

The rear axle has been gutted, but I still have a good 4.10 diff and axles that could go back in it, although the backing plates are now missing some pieces.

I was planing to pull the engine and put it on a stand for storage and test running. Pull off the cab, then cut up the frame. The frame was cracked/broken and has a terrible patch job. I seem to have a collection of axles now, but they'll probably just add to the collection.

Do you need anything?

Merle