Heat shield mounting stud on fuel pump

DeS-11

Looked through my rebuild pics but nothing there to help sorry. Someone might have a spare here or at least dimensions. Wouldn't be hard to cobble up. I feel it is very important for operation of the fuel system, same as the heatshield at the rear upper manifold, reducing heat away from the firewall area.

The heat shield on my P17 has a hole for a stud or stand off on a dual chamber fuel pump.

Not all dual chamber pumps came with the stud/stand off which replaced one of the upper chamber screws.

The quick and dirty way to make a substitute would be a piece of “all-thread” rod, 3 nuts and 2 washers.

The stud/stand off braces the heat shield over the pump so that it is level. 
On a single chamber pump the heat shield is allowed to hang however it wants to because there’s chance of contact with the pump.

It should be pretty easy to make one with a piece of threaded rod. Remove the screw where you'll be putting the stud and take it to the hardware store to match up the threads and purchase a piece of threaded rod with matching thread size along with a few nuts. Cut the length you need and thread it into the pump. Use a nut to tighten it down against the pump body, and a couple more nuts at the top to hold the heat shield. Mine had a wing nut on top, but a regular nut would do the job too.  

P7260228.JPG

Speaking of which, does anyone have a template for the heatshield itself?  Or, point me in the right direction?  I used to could find one on the Forum fairly easy, but I can't seem to locate it anymore.

I acquired one of those studs recently, it's loose so I can go get a couple photos and measurements and post them later this AM.  May help with fabricating one.  I was gonna start roofing our shop today, but Mother Nature decided to rain on that parade, so I have some unplanned free time.

A couple photos and measurements of the stud in question.  The threaded ends are 10-32.  This one off of a D24 attaches to the fuel pump in place of a screw directly above the outlet.

IMG_1154.JPG.f48d197f2bb43d7c0f630c54285f047e.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG.95860de618cd32f9ebf1ee6c72adc537.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Speaking of which, does anyone have a template for the heatshield itself?  Or, point me in the right direction?  I used to could find one on the Forum fairly easy, but I can't seem to locate it anymore.

I acquired one of those studs recently, it's loose so I can go get a couple photos and measurements and post them later this AM.  May help with fabricating one.  I was gonna start roofing our shop today, but Mother Nature decided to rain on that parade, so I have some unplanned free time.

Download section, instructions,templates-page 4

Just happened to remove my fuel pump heat shield to adjust a noisy valve.   

One end is screwed to the fuel pump (using an offset screwdriver) and the other end slips under a manifold nut.

heatshield(1)-Copy.JPG.2b1d228ecfbbaf36249193ef19ddf310.JPGheatshield(2)-Copy.JPG.5bd90ddb62373dae560dabf092d5a8c8.JPG

Thank you to everyone for the replies and suggestions, and to Dan especially for taking the time to get that part out and take the pictures (the measurements are really helpful to see). It would be nice to have an original, but if I can't come up with one, I'll probably do just as Merle and Loren mentioned and make one with the threaded rod and nuts.

Sniper.........this is why I like this forum so much.......I don't need a heat shield, but your post of the McMaster standoffs link was things I did not know existed.........its nice to learn something new..........many thanks Mate............andyd

• Like 1