LED running lights and halogen headlights for my '47 Super De Luxe

46Chris

Very happy with the increased illumination.   Replaced the tail/turn signal 1158's and the brake & license plate G-E 68's with LEDs from ledlight.com, and the headlights with Philips Halogen H6006 C1's.

Here are the links to the LEDs:

1158's https://www.ledlight.com/ba15d-1158-6-volt-60-smd-5730-dual-filament-reduced-profile.aspx

68's https://www.ledlight.com/ba15s-led-miniature-bulb-8-volt-15-smd-3030.aspx

Plug 'n play.   I especially like how bright the brake light is in daylight.

Brake light.jpg

• Thanks 1

For those that have not upgraded, especially, your rear lights, I also recommend LEDs when and where possible in your build.  In some cases they can be very easily detected as not stock and I can see where purist will be hesitant.  But, if you enjoy driving your car between shows for points....the few minutes to removed and replace with stock for showing purposes is well worth it in safety to you and your vehicle while on the highways.   I had originally had a H3 in my high mounted third light but opted for the less power/heat when I located an LED of sufficient lumens matching the H3.   I have a few LEDs in most my builds as the increase in lighting would be beneficial.  

• Thanks 1

These look great. I am always a fan of using new tech along with the classics to make em' better. Just because they use to drill a hole in your head to help with headaches back in the day, doesn't mean we can't do things a bit better today :)

The headlights are 7" aren't they?
I like these Headlights

Yes, some purists won't like it.. build your car 

Edited by 41RogueCoupe

Gents,

Question:

1. Are you installing these in 12 Volt Systems or 6 Volt Systems?

2. Is there really LED and Halogen Bulbs for 6 Volt Systems?

My experience in searching the Internet has been these are for 9 -12 Volt Systems only, in almost all cases it is stated they are for 12 Volt Systems.

Thank you for any replies, because if they actually make them for 6 Volt Systems I would consider buying some.

Tom Skinner

Huntersville, NC

And No I am not going to 12 Volt, or an Alternator, or Pertronix, or HIE, or an electric Fuel Pump, or Disc Brakes, my car is original and going to stay that way until I reach Kingdom Come. LOL. I service my Chrysler the old fashioned way - Continuously, and that's why everything on it works just fine.

4 hours ago, Tom Skinner said:

Gents,

Question:

1. Are you installing these in 12 Volt Systems or 6 Volt Systems?

2. Is there really LED and Halogen Bulbs for 6 Volt Systems?

My experience in searching the Internet has been these are for 9 -12 Volt Systems only, in almost all cases it is stated they are for 12 Volt Systems.

Thank you for any replies, because if they actually make them for 6 Volt Systems I would consider buying some.

Tom Skinner

Huntersville, NC

And No I am not going to 12 Volt, or an Alternator, or Pertronix, or HIE, or an electric Fuel Pump, or Disc Brakes, my car is original and going to stay that way until I reach Kingdom Come. LOL. I service my Chrysler the old fashioned way - Continuously, and that's why everything on it works just fine.

I fully understand your staying stock what I do not understand is why you asking if 6 or 12 as you wish not to change anything....or did I miss something?

thanks.....was not sure how you stood on such.....I do like most of the later LED bulbs, of many I have bought, I have only been disappointed in the LED equiv. of the H3 fog lamp.  These are lacking in my opinion even when fitted with good chrome backing reflectors and glass lens.   

I've been debating this same subject. My wife has informed me that, while following, it is hard to see the lights on the back of the car - especially during the daytime hours. My car is stock/original and I've tried to think of ways to add more lights/signals without hurting the car. 

I have seen some replacement housings that are set up with LED's built in: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Technostalgia-6060-1946-48-Plymouth-Sedan-Brake-Light,9874.html

And, also some "3rd brake light" options that would go in the rear window: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/United-Pacific-33013-LED-Regular-3rd-Brake-Light-Clear-Chrome,475291.html

I'd like to do the same to the turn signals, but most of the replacements I've found are for 12-volt systems. I might have to give those bulbs a try for the tail light/turn signals.

1 hour ago, EagleChief said:

I've been debating this same subject. My wife has informed me that, while following, it is hard to see the lights on the back of the car - especially during the daytime hours. My car is stock/original and I've tried to think of ways to add more lights/signals without hurting the car. 

I have seen some replacement housings that are set up with LED's built in: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Technostalgia-6060-1946-48-Plymouth-Sedan-Brake-Light,9874.html

And, also some "3rd brake light" options that would go in the rear window: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/United-Pacific-33013-LED-Regular-3rd-Brake-Light-Clear-Chrome,475291.html

I'd like to do the same to the turn signals, but most of the replacements I've found are for 12-volt systems. I might have to give those bulbs a try for the tail light/turn signals.

While the single center brake light is very cool and nostalgic, I felt it was inadequate for inattentive drivers tailgating my P15 since they are more accustomed to seeing brake lights associated with tail lights. One of the first things I did on my car during the process of returning it to roadworthy status was install turn signals and convert the tail lights to double filament sockets. This is not a difficult mod if you have a basic understanding of wiring. I left the center light in the brake circuit so there are now three brake lights.

I may go with 6v LED tail light bulbs, I like the increased output and lower current draw. However, I'll need to change out the flasher for one that will function properly with LEDs.

I would like to recommend the third brake light strobe unit that is selling for dirt cheap.  These are effective device that will alert the following vehicle by enhancing the third light by sequencing the flash rate before going to steady on.....I have these in a couple of my cars and they are most effective.  Some say they not legal and well they may be right....but no officer has seen fit to pull over any old car or motorbike for this in my area that I know of.  I may well be the first one day.....lol

I cannot attest to if this is available for 6 volt but they are out there for 12/24 volt.  You do have to run with LED....incandescent will overload the unit.

In 2003, I replaced the tail light and brake light bulbs with halogen bulbs, all 6-volt, with porcelain sockets.  (JC6V-10W/G4 and JC6V-20W/G4 bulbs; HS70603 halogen sockets.)   

In each tail ight, I squeezed in a 10 watt running light, a 20 watt turn light and a 20 watt brake light.  (No problem with a turn signal having to interrupt the brake lights.)   

In the central brake light housing I put in two 20 watt bulbs.   And I painted the interiors of the housings white.    

Still working.  Spare bulbs and sockets somewhere.  

These days, I would look into LED,  Less heat, no porcelain sockets needed.   

The Tech. Co. used to sell 6 volt versions but quit from what was stated as lack of sales.  I read that somewhere).

Seems nothing has changed over the years since.

When ? I cannot remember but, old age creeps up slowly!  🫠

DJ

It would be easy to make a 6 or 12 volt version.  Just make the 6v version and add a dropping resistor to run 12v.  You could build it in the housing and use a hidden switch to select whichever voltage setting you need.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:50 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

While the single center brake light is very cool and nostalgic, I felt it was inadequate for inattentive drivers tailgating my P15 since they are more accustomed to seeing brake lights associated with tail lights. One of the first things I did on my car during the process of returning it to roadworthy status was install turn signals and convert the tail lights to double filament sockets. This is not a difficult mod if you have a basic understanding of wiring. I left the center light in the brake circuit so there are now three brake lights.

I may go with 6v LED tail light bulbs, I like the increased output and lower current draw. However, I'll need to change out the flasher for one that will function properly with LEDs.

I do have the dual filament turn signals on my car. I was just curious if/what bulbs were being used when converting to LED, especially with the 6 volt system. 

If you only change out the rear signals, would we still need to change the flasher? It would still be providing power to the regular bulbs up front.

23 hours ago, Sniper said:

In the installation instructions is says 12V negative ground only

I see that now. I could've sworn I saw a 6 volt version on Oldmoparparts. But, it was quite a bit more expensive. That's why I looked elsewhere. There are a few different versions on Speedway motors it looks like. 

9 minutes ago, EagleChief said:

I do have the dual filament turn signals on my car. I was just curious if/what bulbs were being used when converting to LED, especially with the 6 volt system. 

If you only change out the rear signals, would we still need to change the flasher? It would still be providing power to the regular bulbs up front.

I just ordered this LED flasher because the description states it will work with a combination of standard and LED bulbs. I think you will need this or a similar flasher to get the LED bulbs to flash at the proper rate. Very reasonably priced at $17.99.

I'm replacing all tail, brake and signal bulbs with LED, cost about $50 for the complete conversion from the vendor below. @46Chris said he is pleased with their bulbs.

https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-cf13-6-volt-dc-led-compatible-3-terminal-150-watt.aspx

flasher6v.png

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

I looked at the taillight bulbs on my 46, with turn signals. The bulb is a 1154 that is Index style socket, not 1158 Bayonet. The front are probably the same, because I don’t have any 1158’s in stock. I would need 97465 for the taillight on my car. I have used the brightest 1129 bulb for my center brake light. I mention this for others that might want the LED bulbs, check the socket for pin orientation before buying. This is an old bulb download that I found. I’ve posted it before. 

IMG_0252.jpeg

I changed every single bulb for LED. even the headlight hi/lo beam.

also I added a home made hazard warning light circuit. 

my car is bone stock 6V pos. ground.

maybe I can upload a small video later.

Joe

Edited by GTfastbacker
  • Like 3

I would caution you to keep an eye on things like your dimmer switch.  When I first installed 6V halogens a few decades ago I found the the oem bulbs were 30W, and the halogens were 60W, and both the headlight switch and the dimmer switch both started getting hot when the headlights were on.  I eventually installed a 6V headlight relay to carry the load so that the headlight switch and the dimmer switch were only controlliing the headlight relay instead of carrying the total load.

Marty

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 9:53 AM, 46Chris said:

Very happy with the increased illumination.   Replaced the tail/turn signal 1158's and the brake & license plate G-E 68's with LEDs from ledlight.com, and the headlights with Philips Halogen H6006 C1's.

Here are the links to the LEDs:

1158's https://www.ledlight.com/ba15d-1158-6-volt-60-smd-5730-dual-filament-reduced-profile.aspx

68's https://www.ledlight.com/ba15s-led-miniature-bulb-8-volt-15-smd-3030.aspx

Plug 'n play.   I especially like how bright the brake light is in daylight.

Quick question on the 1158's... does that come as a 2-pack, or is that a single bulb? I don't see any info on that on their page.

EDIT** Nevermind, I found the info I was looking for. I ordered a set to try out, including the flasher.

Edited by EagleChief

5 hours ago, GTfastbacker said:

I changed every single bulb for LED. even the headlight hi/lo beam.

also I added a home made hazard warning light circuit. 

my car is bone stock 6V pos. ground.

maybe I can upload a small video later.

Joe

LED 6V in action 

Unfortunately my arms or legs were too short for a video of the brake lights … lol

Edited by GTfastbacker
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

I just ordered this LED flasher because the description states it will work with a combination of standard and LED bulbs. I think you will need this or a similar flasher to get the LED bulbs to flash at the proper rate. Very reasonably priced at $17.99.

I'm replacing all tail, brake and signal bulbs with LED, cost about $50 for the complete conversion from the vendor below. @46Chris said he is pleased with their bulbs.

https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-cf13-6-volt-dc-led-compatible-3-terminal-150-watt.aspx

flasher6v.png

Sam, appreciate this info as I noticed the turn signals stopped working as soon as I installed the LED running lights.   Many thanks!