tired generator?

Roofus

Hello the old guys, The ampemeter needle no longer moves, I suspect the generator ... I have a 2 questions, is the engine of my 1949 Chrysler must continue to work if I disconnect the battery ?

And what tension should we find at the terminals of the generator? (6volts)

With a voltmeter, either I have nothing, either I have 5.5v max, When I have 5.5V the ampemeter needle made strong swerry between -40/+40 and a brushe sparkled a lot ...

Edited by Roofus

first off if your amp meter needle is not moving you have a dead battery or an open in the amp meter...it does not require the generator for it to show discharge, but will working generator/regulator needed to show charging....with the battery connected and the lights on the meter should indicate a heavy discharge....disconnecting a battery lead for quick test can confirm some output of the generator but is just that a quick test, proper diagnostics need to put forth to pin point any generator issues and these should be done in proper sequence.  The factory book will easily walk you through this.  You will need to determine a number of factors as right before assuming anything is wrong...battery, wiring, generator, regulator, fan belt etc etc.

Ok, but I reiterate mes questions,

1/Is it normal for the engine to stop when you disconnect the battery?I personally think that a generator in good condition is capable of providing enough current to operate the engine without the help of the battery.

2/What voltage should we measure at the terminals of the generator whose wires would be disconnected from the regulator?

if you do not have a repair manual, it is a good investment.... secondly there are many white papers online for these old systems to guide you along.  Also, search of this forum will net many threads with related questions and fixes posted by the user.  

24 minutes ago, Roofus said:

Ok, but I reiterate mes questions,

1/Is it normal for the engine to stop when you disconnect the battery?I personally think that a generator in good condition is capable of providing enough current to operate the engine without the help of the battery.

2/What voltage should we measure at the terminals of the generator whose wires would be disconnected from the regulator?

One of many resources available to answer your questions. Maybe YouTube can translate into French.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

A properly working charging system will probably produce enough current allow the engine to run with the battery disconnected.  A failure or intermittent failure of any component of the system will probably not. 5.5V is battery voltage.  You need to see higher voltage for the battery to charge.  The manual will have the specs.  Bright sparkles indicates arcing of the brushes.  You have some kind of problem with the system that needs to be addressed.

Edited by Dave72dt

5.5 volts is a well-discharged batteries voltage. A fully charged battery should be 6.3 volts and your charging system voltage needs to be higher than that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

5.5 V is not the voltage across the battery but the voltage across the generator ...

But I still have a test to do, feed the generator and see if he turns or not.

I have the manual, but the translations are very poor as soon as we enter the technical field

A properly working charging system will probably produce enough current allow the engine to run with the battery disconnected.

probably is not enough for me😉

Edited by Roofus

generator is also speed related on output and raising the speed from idle should increased the voltage to the fixed output set by the regulator.  Do not overlook a loose belt also do not over tighten the belt either.   The regulator should compensate for load when above idle....so if you putting out your approx 6.8-7.2 volts, and turn on the lamps, the amp meter should show a deflection toward discharge but quickly compensate for the current drain....again....engine speed and load go hand in hand.

8 hours ago, Roofus said:

5.5 V is not the voltage across the battery but the voltage across the generator ...

Since your generator is not working you are reading battery voltage there, less any line losses.

Simple fault test:

Cut a 5 to 6 ft long 12 gauge insulated stranded wire, add an insulated alligator clip to both ends. Find an assistant observer, connect one alligator clip to the field terminal. (smaller diameter post of the two posts on the generator)  Have assistant start the car and set the throttle to have an idle speed of 800 to 1000 rpm. Now ground the jumper wire momentarily to the engine.  Observer should see amp gauge peg to positive charge.  If it pegs the generator is OK.  This usually means the fault is with the voltage regulator. Could be as simple as dressing corroded points, bad connections or poor ground of the regulator.  Also for optimum operation of the 6v accessories install a ground strap or cable between the body and engine.

Edited by greg g