Correct carburetor for a 47 fluid drive

I own a 1947 d24 fluid drive car and yesterday I decided to pull it out for the first time after its winter hiatus. Car started great, backed it outside and almost immediately started pouring gas out of numerous spots on the carb. I have previously rebuilt this carb a few years back and know I could go through it again and probably be fine, however as to my understanding its not the correct carb for a fluid drive car and as I would eventually like to get that whole system working correctly so I was thinking I would like to install the correct carb.  Current carb is a Carter b&b D6H2 and if I have read and understand correctly this would be off of a 49 car? From what I have read I believe the carb I would need would have a spot to connect a wire for the fluid drive system?, so basically what I'm looking to find out is there a good replacement carb I can by for a fluid drive car or do I need to try and find an original and rebuild or what would be the best course of action.

This was not the question, but your float needle is probably blocked by some trash. You do not even need to take the carb apart to check that, just unscrew the seat from the side. Could be a 1 minute fix, literally :)

So is it the Stromberg or the Carter? im assuming maybe one was for fluid drive and one not? Also as for the float being clogged, I will pull that out and check but either way I would still like to get to where I can make the fluid drive system work correctly. 

If by Fluid Drive you mean the semi-automatic transmission with the fluid coupling, the carburetor needs a kickdown switch to downshift, and an anti-stall gizmo.  At some point, Dodges had the fluid coupling with a conventional 3-speed manual transmission.  Then they went semni-auto.

I think Stromberg vs Carter depended where the engine was assembled, a Dodge plant vs a DeSoto plant, Detroit vs west cast.  Just my guess.    

I can’t say the Carter carb won’t work. I’m just going by experience of owning a D24 previously and having parts cars. All had the Stromberg. Dodge fluid drive from 46-48 was the 3-speed with fluid coupling so any carb with a dash pot will work. Also no matter which carb you use the idle speed needs to be 450-500 rpm’s. To the original post, your car won’t shift automatically. The fluid drive allows you to start in third gear and not disengage the clutch when stopped. I normally drove mine like a conventional manual transmission but used the fluid coupling in town.

• Like 2

The stromberg was really only for 1946 models as Carter underbid substantially for the next few years ,Stromberg is the better carb but much harder to get and also service.

You're also right Doug, the Stromberg was also used on Dodge, 35-52 used the BVX-3 and the BVXD-3. I guess the D was for dashpot. I don't know if the Carter BB had a dashpot model or not though. 

The Stromberg listing was about 35 pages past the Carter listings in the Motors Manual (and I forgot about them to tell the truth).

Joe Lee

My 48 Windsor Chrysler uses a Carter B&B EV-1.  It has the kickdown plunger/switch on the back ( firewall side) of the carb.  The wire to that switch comes from the "TH" terminal on the transmission relay.   There is also a wire on the front of the carb above the dashpot  on the front of the carb for the anti-stall, which goes to the "SOL". terminal on the transmission relay.  I'm thinking we would probably have the same Fluid Drive but don't quote me on that.

Our '48 D24 has the Stromberg carburetor.  If I'm remembering correctly, Carter bought Stromberg at some point (?).  The service manual for our car indicates Stromberg as the "correct" carburetor, but that doesn't mean a Carter wasn't determined to be appropriate at a later date and added to some manuals.  Ours has the BXUV-3, which isn't listed in the service manual, but is a variant of the BXVD-3.  On our car, there is no electrical connection from the carb to the fluid drive, '47 wouldn't have that either.  As noted earlier, the carb needs the dashpot / retarded throttle return so the car doesn't die using the Fluid Drive feature, there's no electrical wizardry involved with the '46-'48 Dodges' fluid drive.