Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Can’t get bobcat lug nuts off

Aside from noodling on my ‘36 truck I have to maintain the property. I got a flat on my small bobcat and I can’t break the lug nuts loose. I hate when they over tighten at the dealer with their impact wrenches.  What are my options?  Go buy a good 1/2” hammer drill and find something that could hold a 1” socket?  Buy an air impact version to hold 1/2” sockets?  And then where do you buy?  Depot or Lowe’s or H. Freight or tractor S.  ?  I have an older speed air medium size air compressor that goes up to about 100 lbs.  I would rather go with electric and hook up to a heavy duty cord but wth.  

DeWalt, Milwaukee,and even harbor freight make a 1/2 drive battery impact. All have favorable reviews. With a battery you don't have to worry about power or compressor

2 hours ago, Rodney_Hamon said:

Aside from noodling on my ‘36 truck I have to maintain the property. I got a flat on my small bobcat and I can’t break the lug nuts loose. I hate when they over tighten at the dealer with their impact wrenches.  What are my options?  Go buy a good 1/2” hammer drill and find something that could hold a 1” socket?  Buy an air impact version to hold 1/2” sockets?  And then where do you buy?  Depot or Lowe’s or H. Freight or tractor S.  ?  I have an older speed air medium size air compressor that goes up to about 100 lbs.  I would rather go with electric and hook up to a heavy duty cord but wth.  

First let's discuss the size of the studs and nuts.   1/2" tools may not have enough power for larger stuff.   I have a 1/2" IR Composite/Titanium which is one of the most powerful around and it wouldn't handle the 35MM nuts on my 1T.    The alternative may be a 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar with a cheater if needed.   It's amazing what big leverage can do.   Use that to break them loose, then a 1/2 drive to complete the removal.  You may need more leverage to get to the required torque on installation too.   Many loaders/trucks etc have really high torque requirements so you may not be dealing with and overtorqued situation, just 'normal' torque.  Skid steers impose some terrific side loads on the wheels.

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 1

I am a bit confused, so you cannot get the lug nut off and debating purchasing impact wrenches? I assume that lubricating it did not work? How about a torch and a large breaker bar? If nothing else helps and the nut is rusted on and would not move, you might just cut and chisel it off.

• Sad 1

flat tire on the front or back? front tire.....  use the bucket to lift the wheel off the ground, breaker bar, slowly raise the bucket and use the weight of the bobcat to brake them free? 😀

My son and I did the brakes on his BMW.  When we were down I torqued all the wheel bolts then I had him do them a second time as a QA thing.  He was pushing down on the torque wrench and having a heck of a time getting them to spec, OTOH and being a fat ass, can get away with doing it like that.  I showed him how to pull up on the wrench so he could use his legs instead, worked like a charm.  So, are you using your legs?  lol

BTW, the jack handle, once removed from a floor jack, makes a real handy cheater pipe.

A fabrication friend came to the rescue this am with his big ass gas driven air compressor and 1/2” impact wrench.  He worked a bit at that wheel. 1” lug nuts. Yeah, it was the rear driver side rim.  I know the trick of using the front bucket to tilt dn and raise the front end for an easier wheel removal.  I drove bobcats professionaly for half dozen years in my construction earlier life.  I had my friend loosen all the lug nuts and then retorque looser.  After I took the supposed flat tire (damn heavy btw) the tire shop said in 45 years they had never seen such a tire stuck to a rim. Apparently it had foam injection and the expansion plugged the valve stem and the tire was glued to the rim. Only a sawsall would remove it.  Ummm..they asked me to call the dealership for advice. The dealer said they put foam in the special rims and tires and that’s subcontracted out by a tire shop.  My normal spare that is just air in the rim shouldn’t be used in combo with foam filled wheels.  Yikes !! I bought this 450 used and nobody said it had filled tires. Anyway, the point was I felt the bobcat was a bit squishy and when I went to check the air pressure, none of the valve stems cooperated and the air nozzle shot air right through the hole where a plug used to be from god knows when. I pick up the tire tomorrow and will put “squishy” back on...to keep the balance of the wheels even. Jeez.  I’m going to call parts tomorrow at the dealer and see if they have a normal rim and tire for a decent price.  I might consider getting it and putting the two regular wheels on the front and keep the “heavies “ on the rear.  Sorry for this long story. It’s a learning curve that never ends and I’ve been driving bobcats since 1980. Lol

Bobcat from the 80’s!? 
now you’re talking, I have a M610 variable speed with the infamous leaking jack shafts 😊

But, it still runs and I use it weekly 

D24C6B5D-8F7A-4943-9BDE-AC9592A581D6.jpeg.4c6ad5e905a0fd4abad8bcdb4f530320.jpeg

(without the the mascot on the top)

Yeap, I am finding out, equipment and diesel trucks are expensive but, I find  sure make things easier.