37 Plymouth Carburetor Kit

Look on the air horn which is where the air cleaner mounts to the car. There should be a metal flange and on this flange should be the model number of your carb like B6G1.

Then do some searching on ebay for a carter carburetor kit for the specific model and carb number and or carter carburetor kit for 1937 Plymouth.  The old original kits had all of the brass internal parts were as the newer replacements kits do not contain all of the parts. I prefer the original kits. Also with the carter original kits each Carter part number is listed on the front of the box lid.  You will then have the appropriate carter part numbers and then you can also search when at swap meet to see what other carb kits contain the same internal parts and then have some real time assembled kits.

The old original kits are much better and they also contain the accelerator pump that has the leather part to make the seal.

I have a large collection of these kits for my 39 Desoto.  These older kits are getting harder to find so if you find one then get it for future use.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I just did a search on Ebay here is the lisiting:

1937 C6F1 PLYMOUTH REPAIR PARTS MANUAL CARTER CARBURETOR NIB OEM KIT  cost $65

Rich Hartung

image.png.b9158758b4dedb3fccc11c9471bff8b0.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

The old original kits are much better and they also contain the accelerator pump that has the leather part to make the seal.

So do the new kits... Also, TS asked for a fresh kit, so... 😅

• Like 1

Here is what is included in a newer kit:

image.png.389b8768ad1bc992ed8e8cc02e04240e.png

Where is the new replacement jet and th small pump high idle brass parts. So basically you get new gaskets float needle small gaskets, I do not see any plugs no small ball bearing that are part of the internal parts no venturi tube all of the parts that are included in an original repair kit.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Thank you everybody.  I'm going to help a friend try to get his 37 coupe running later this year. It's kind of buried right now so I don't know the carb number. It's been sitting inside for 30-35 years.  Are fuel pumps still available somewhere or a good place to get his rebuilt.

On 5/21/2024 at 9:13 AM, Doug&Deb said:

Better to rebuild the original. Try Then and Now Automotive for rebuild kits. The new pumps have a problem with the pivot pin walking out.

This post is referring to fuel transfer pumps. 

For carb rebuild kits I have used Carb Doctor and netted good results. The kits came with the inlet and outlet small chrome balls for the accelerator circuit. They are different sizes. Make sure they go in their proper locations.  New plugs to hammer-in as well came with the Carb Dr kits. 

If I knew about original Carter kits, as seen above I’d have ordered one. OEM is usually the best. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sniper said:

I don't think OEM Carter kits are ethanol resistant?

Sniper: I have been running a carter carb in my 39 Desoto for over 35 years with the original carter parts and it also has the leather accelerator step up piston. There are really no rubber parts to be concerned about with the ethenol gas. Yes some people have gone to the rubber tipped needle valve but the original need valve was originally entirely metal, so no issue with the full metal valve.  Yes there are cardboards gaskets and the regular factory gasket that are used between each section of the carb but inall reality they are not going to have any real contact with the enthinol gas.

My carb builder who has been in the business for over 40 years told me that the leather accelerator piston will not get affected by the ethinol gas issues.  So that is why it always try to get true rebuild kits and sometime can get them cheaper that the more modern kits. I will have to agree that the old fuel pump kits are not good and the new ethanol diaphragm is the real replacement that needs to be installed.

I in in the process of rebuilding my Carter E6N1 carb that has been on my car for the past 35 years and I am using a total rebuild carter carb kit that has all of the plugs, gaskets and small internal parts and springs. I purchased the original kit for $35.

The main get is brass and so are all of the other internal parts so ethinol is not going to affect these parts.  People can use what ever they prefer. Just adding in my $1.00 worth of input.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com