Ridiculous Tube videos

Ivan_B

Sometimes I browse the Tube for mopar-related videos, to see what people are doing and maybe learn something new. For some reason, this is not going so well, lately. Today, I stumbled upon an adult person from Canada doing upgrades to a 1940 P10 chassis. And what do you know, 4 minutes into the video he is calling wheel bolts studs (???) and is stating that while the right hand side "studs" came right out, he was unable to get the "studs" on the left side out, not even with an extra long breaker bar, so he had to take the hub off... This person is doing paid work wrenching on classic cars... How's this even possible? 🙄

If some of you cannot do your own maintenance, be careful whom you let to work on your cars. Just saying.

Edited by Ivan_B
  • Like 2

• Ivan_B changed the title to Ridiculous Tube videos

Well anyone can have a youtube channel .... does not mean they should use it ..... such is life.

About the Left handed wheel bolts ..... not every car manufacturer was as brilliant as Mopar engineers. They actually did things the old fashioned way with studs and right handed threads. ...... Seems even today they still have not caught up with our Mopar brilliance.   🤣🤣🤣

Then Mopars are really the unwanted red head stepchild in the automotive world ..... not really a common vehicle that people drop off at a restoration shop to be restored.

Think I was 50 years old the first time I worked on one ..... I had a Uncle beating it into my head, remember the driver side is left handed ...... Not everyone had the same advantages as me though  🤣 

The guy may be a total idiot I have no idea who it is or to watch them either ..... I just wouldn't beat up on them too badly for that mistake.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I just wouldn't beat up on them too badly for that mistake.

I admit, this is not the worst video I saw, but it is likely the most disappointing in terms of expectations and the actual content.

The worst ones are probably those where some younger adults find an older car, in obviously below-average condition, and do a test drive/review, complaining about how bad the car is (mostly because of its poor condition, or their lack of mechanical knowledge or driving skills) and how horrible the society must've been, back in the days, when people had to drive these kind of cars... And how, for some unexpected reason, they are personally so much better than this car, and it's not even worse their time (yet they are doing a review video) 🙄 There are so much wrong here, I usually just skip these as this is too much pain to watch 😅

Too bad I am not a psychologist, otherwise I would definitely study the phenomenon of denigrating the past to boost one's sense of false confidence.

Edited by Ivan_B

For me I think it is personality with knowledge that makes a good content creator. That keeps me interested.

A few years ago I watched a lot of videos when I wanted to teach myself to weld. .... I stumbled across DD speedshop channel.

He just keeps me interested to comeback and watch more. He works at home in the garage much like I would.  ..... He is a mechanic in a shop for a day job. He rarely talks about that.

Then comes home from work and works in the garage sometimes until 12:00 midnight. And video tapes it. .... then all day and night on the weekends.

He usually works on 55-57 chebbies, has rebuilt a Mopar Cuda ..... Latest project was a 1967 Camaro that had been sitting for 20 years and used as a parts car.

Within 3 months he totally stripped the car down in his garage .... replaced every spec of rust in it .... Inside rockers, outside rockers, floor pans, trunk pan, rear subframe & all connectors .... front sub rails, .... everytime he went to fix 1 thing he found 3 more things rusted ..... it's a chebby. He replaced the rear quarter panels, doors,front clip with all new parts and the only original part of the car is the roof.

My only point is, he makes it interesting and does it quickly .... 3 months he had that car completely rebuilt and painted, a dyno tested 436hp sbc with a rebuilt T10 4spd and a rebuilt posi 12 bolt rear end. .... 80% rewired and was working on the interior and found out he does not fit in the car. Sitting on the floor, head hitting the roof, knee's knocking the doors and steering wheel in his tummy .... His last video on the car couple days ago was him stripping it down and selling it as a roller that needs a drive train.

My only point is this guy made thousands of dollars from youtube making those video's on the camaro. He is currently paying storage on over 20 cars he has built on youtube over the last 6 years. ..... He did buy his neighbors house so he can have 2 garages to work out of .... He rents the house out to pay the mortgage  he uses the garage. Which allows him to make more youtube content. ..... While waiting for parts on the vehicle in one garage he is working on the other car in the next garage. Making more $$.

Now he is currently liquidating all of his cars and keeping a few of his favorites ..... his goal is to buy a commercial shop in town and build cars there ..... I suspect he will quit his day job and become a professional youtuber.

Just like years ago, young men & women flocking to Hollywood to become a famous movie actor ..... Today they are running to youtube ..... some girls are going to only fans .... If the girls are good, they are making $10K a month sitting at home in front of a camera .... While the husband is at work ...... Same thing with the dudes ..... if you are good at what you do, you will make $$ at it while working at home. .... I'm not saying the guy is a genius he does make it interesting to watch and getting prepared to make it a full time job.

I'm only suggesting that it is the newest thing to get rich quick and everybody and their sisters want to try it. .... You never know what clowns you will run into.

When I first got the 47 P15 - I was trying to take the front right wheel off to inspect the brakes.  Those bolts just wouldn't come out.  If I had looked closer I would have seen the "L" on the end of the bolts.  Yep - the left hand threads are on the right side of the car and the right hand threads are on the left side of the car.  Someone switched them in the past.  

1 hour ago, Kilgore47 said:

When I first got the 47 P15 - I was trying to take the front right wheel off to inspect the brakes.  Those bolts just wouldn't come out.  If I had looked closer I would have seen the "L" on the end of the bolts.  Yep - the left hand threads are on the right side of the car and the right hand threads are on the left side of the car.  Someone switched them in the past.  

Seems you have the ultra rare Wrongway Peachfuzz edition....

Speaking about videos, just stumbled upon this educational film. Not sure who plays Mr. Tom Wallace, but he sort of looks like one of the forum members, here. Maybe a bit younger 🤣

film.PNG

I sometimes re-watch my own videos to review what I've forgotten. Lol.

I was probably 25 in about 1996 the first time I could not, for the life of me, remove the wheel bolts from a home built trailer axle. Just the one side. The other side, the bolts came off easily. The other side no way. I broke off a couple ⅜ to ½" adaptors using a breaker bar. Then I gave up.  I was trying to help someone with a flat on the side of the hiway. I shrugged and stated I was out of tools and ideas. Sorry. Call a tow truck. 

Much later in life I bought my first old Mopar. I came to realize what happened that fateful day back in '96. I think of it every time I remove my LH wheels decades later. They must have had an old dead axle, solid beam from an old Mopar under that trailer.  Like my '38 Plym front I-Beam axle.

We all start out in life pretty dumb. Education and experience, there is no substitute.

Edited by keithb7

On 5/20/2024 at 10:45 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

Seems you have the ultra rare Wrongway Peachfuzz edition....

Hmmm…fan mail from some flounder?

• Haha 1